UKBouldering.com

It never ends... the DIY thread! (Read 61510 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#175 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 02:53:44 pm

Or get a long scaffold tube and slot it over them, allowing you to give it a really good wiggle?

This, or a piece of steel water pipe over the top, good old wiggle around then try lifting out with a sling or something tied as low as possible on the bar and connected to a car jack on some solid bricks / breeze blocks.(might be fiddly to connect), or a hire a high lift farm jack or something like that?

James Malloch

• forum hero
#176 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 02:59:35 pm
Thanks for the replies. Maybe angle grinder isn’t the way too go then… Or at least not on the first attempt.

Chain block or winch look like a good option - though no idea who would have one locally. Few people I could ask maybe unless anyone around Skipton happens to have one?

Winches would work in some areas (most are near tree cover so some good anchor points - but a few are out in the open).

Maybe the best option is for me to go up for the day, dismantle what I can with a big hammer (or scaffold piece - I like that idea) and then make notes of what’s remaining and have a better idea of what’s needed on the next trip. It’ll takes at least 2 trips I think as there’s about 12 stations to take down which are pretty spread out.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#177 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 03:25:17 pm

Or get a long scaffold tube and slot it over them, allowing you to give it a really good wiggle?

This, or a piece of steel water pipe over the top, good old wiggle around then try lifting out with a sling or something tied as low as possible on the bar and connected to a car jack on some solid bricks / breeze blocks.(might be fiddly to connect), or a hire a high lift farm jack or something like that?

Car jack and some locking pliers could work too. Possibly not that much effort to do either. Or even some good locking pliers and a piece of 2x4 to wedge under and lever with.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#178 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 03:41:01 pm
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world"

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#179 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 04:10:19 pm
Thanks for the replies. Maybe angle grinder isn’t the way too go then… Or at least not on the first attempt.

Chain block or winch look like a good option - though no idea who would have one locally. Few people I could ask maybe unless anyone around Skipton happens to have one?

Winches would work in some areas (most are near tree cover so some good anchor points - but a few are out in the open).

Maybe the best option is for me to go up for the day, dismantle what I can with a big hammer (or scaffold piece - I like that idea) and then make notes of what’s remaining and have a better idea of what’s needed on the next trip. It’ll takes at least 2 trips I think as there’s about 12 stations to take down which are pretty spread out.

A 2t chain block and some strops. Very cheap and easy to pick up via Amazon. Or, for a little more, Toolstation/Screwfix. Very useful thing to have around (esp. in the boot of your car), if you can stretch past the cheap Chinese option.

Back during lockdown 1, having ordered a new bathroom about a month before we heard of Covid, I installed an all new family bathroom.
I had to do it, because we couldn’t change the delivery date, had nowhere to store an entire bathroom in boxes etc.
If you recall, during LD1, everything was closed. So when I ripped out the old fixtures and flooring and discovered how rotten the flooring underneath was (chipboard), there was nothing I could do except dry it and treat it with thinned varnish or white glue solution (stuff from the back of the shed).

Didn’t F’ing last. Just had to pull out the toilet which was rocking and rolling all over the shop, because the chipboard below wouldn’t take a screw and (because everything else is fitted now) had to raise it onto an 18mm pedestal of new flooring.  FML.
The cubical shower, which didn’t get changed, suddenly decided to leak a couple of days ago, straight through the spotlights into the dining room below. I knew the drain fitting was iffy and the plastic aged, but when it was installed, the wanker that put it in, tiled over the frigging tray in such a way that the only way to access the trap below was to smash the tiles out (which I’d been avoiding for the last 10 years since I first realised). Anyway, given the bastard leak, I now had to do IT.

BEHIND THE FUCKING TILES, THE SHOWER TRAY IS SITTING ON A STEEL RE-ENFORCED CONCRETE FUCKING LINTEL AND THERE IS NO SODDING WAY TO ACCESS THE UNDERSIDE OF THE PIGGING SHIT MONKEY SHOWER TRAY WITHOUT SMASHING OUT ALL THE DAMN CUBICAL TILING AND EVEN THEN, I’M TWATTINGWELL SURE THE AFOREMENTIONED PIGGING SHIT MONKEY SHOWER TRAY IS CEMENTED THE FUCK IN.

I AM NOT OK.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 04:16:20 pm by Oldmanmatt »

Paul B

• forum hero
#180 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 04:14:37 pm

There are plenty of places to hire such things near Skipton:
https://www.shc.co.uk/?post_type=product&s=chain+block

SA Chris

• forum hero
#181 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 04:26:44 pm
.....I AM NOT OK.

The fucktitude of the logic of some house building work just defies belief. Hope you get it sorted.

Paul B

• forum hero
#182 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 04:46:50 pm
BEHIND THE FUCKING TILES, THE SHOWER TRAY IS SITTING ON A STEEL RE-ENFORCED CONCRETE FUCKING LINTEL AND THERE IS NO SODDING WAY TO ACCESS THE UNDERSIDE OF THE PIGGING SHIT MONKEY SHOWER TRAY WITHOUT SMASHING OUT ALL THE DAMN CUBICAL TILING AND EVEN THEN, I’M TWATTINGWELL SURE THE AFOREMENTIONED PIGGING SHIT MONKEY SHOWER TRAY IS CEMENTED THE FUCK IN.

Got told the other night that the shower hose attached to the bath has a leak. No big problem you say? Well, apart from the fact whoever did the bathroom tiled it all in. There are no signs that there's a removable panel.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#183 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 07:48:03 pm
The joys of water lego.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#184 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 09:18:32 pm
How would you know? Last time your plumbing went wrong I had to pop round and sort it out.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#185 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
February 28, 2022, 10:24:23 pm
You said we wouldn't tell anyone about that.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#186 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
March 07, 2022, 10:15:39 am
As an update, I went out on Friday and managed to get pretty much all the equipment out. I went with an easier version of some suggestions (some decent locking pliers and a heavy duty spreader clamp).

Many of the equipment stations just pulled out - I think they decent storms helped as they had taken a right beating! Others I had to pump out with the clamp/pliers combination. One I managed with a bit of scaffold pole (happened to be there - didn’t fancy carrying one it).

One was stuck and in water too deep for my clamp so I didn’t manage to get that one. Another had been completely covered by big rocks (up to washing-machine size - the strength of water is crazy!). I managed to get the logger out after moving a few smaller blocks, but didn’t bother trying to get the rest of the kit out. I imagine it’s bent a lot the waterline given the number of rocks settled on it.

Think we’re going to to leave those two and maybe go back when the river levels are right down. Thanks for the advice - it really helped having a bunch of options when I got to each one.

Was a knackering day - 6 hours of trudging up steep, muddy tributaries with about 10kg of kit on my back and carrying loads of rebar, shelving uprights, tubes and fittings miles back to the van. Had a well deserved beer when I got home.

James Malloch

• forum hero
Our lodger just messaged saying there had been a power cut. The electric oven isn’t working, but the grill goes on fine.

I’ve asked him to make sure the clock is reset (apparently one of the most common problems when this happens).

If this doesn’t work, any ideas what could be the problem? I assume that they have the same fuse with it being a combined unit? The hob is a separate gas one.

JamieG

• forum hero
Maybe the heating element has gone. I’ve had to replace ours before.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#189 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
June 12, 2022, 11:55:00 am

I missed this, sorry! But yeah I think that might be the problem. Grill works, light works, just no heat.

Was it a big thing to change?

The oven is at least 10 years old so the other option is to replace it with something newer.

We’re not at home which makes it harder (friend is living at ours). He seems fine without it at the moment but harder to get someone in to fix it as he’s out during working hours..

James Malloch

• forum hero
#190 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 11:30:39 am

This was the issue in the end, thanks! Got one for a tenner online and took 5 mins to fit.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#191 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 11:31:50 am
Energy question… our gas meter measures in m^3, we’re charged in kWh.

Are these one and the same or would I need to convert it? Had a quick Google but wasn’t sure.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#192 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 11:37:49 am
Energy question… our gas meter measures in m^3, we’re charged in kWh.

Are these one and the same or would I need to convert it? Had a quick Google but wasn’t sure.
No they're not the same. The kWh per m3 will depend on the calorific value of the gas. This is a useful resource: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gas-meter-readings-and-bill-calculation

JamieG

• forum hero
#193 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 11:40:15 am
As Nutty says they're not the same. kWh is a unit to measure energy, whereas m^3 is a unit of volume.

SamT

• forum hero
#194 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 11:49:51 am
Further more,

Your meter measures the volume of gas you've used - in m3,

The utility company will convert that into kWh , i.e. the amount (units) of energy you've used and charge per unit of energy.

The conversion should be on your bill.  The calorific value of the gas has some corrections made to it, depending on how far away you are from the main gas input point, (probably pembroke) since its loses some calorific value on its journey through all the gas pipes by picking up moisture along the way.

Duma

• forum hero
#195 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 12:58:33 pm
OT, but it's very unlikely to be Pembroke

SamT

• forum hero
#196 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 02:05:44 pm
Yeah - soz.. that's the main docking station for Liquifed gas - 9% of UK supply.

Natural gas piped from the North Sea and the East Irish Sea to refineries on land makes up 44% of the UK’s gas production.
Around 47% of the UK’s gas supply now comes from across Europe - predominantly Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, and Russia - through long distance pipelines.
While 9% of the UK’s gas is imported as liquid natural gas transported around the world in tankers at temperatures below -160C by ship, mainly from Qatar.

So you're right - I was just thinking of this in my head..

https://www.statista.com/statistics/467240/ranking-of-ports-by-liquefied-gas-tonnage-transported-united-kingdom-uk/#:~:text=In%202020%2C%20the%20leading%20three,2.7%20million%20metric%20tons%2C%20respectively.

but yeah.. :off:

James Malloch

• forum hero
#197 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
July 27, 2022, 09:19:26 pm
Thanks everyone! I assumed they weren’t the same but couldn’t find anything to be certain. Will have a look through the links properly tomorrow and try to work it out.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#198 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 15, 2022, 10:10:34 am
One Brand to Rule Them All! And in the garden, power them.

Makita, Ryobi, DeWalt....?

I've acquired a garden, which ties in with a portable wentilater. I need a strimmer, Mower, Hedge trimmer, portable wentilater, drill.. etc.

Which cordless brand is best? Any thoughts and advice welcome.

yrs tly

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#199 Re: It never ends... the DIY thread!
September 15, 2022, 10:18:52 am
Surely Milwaukee for a man of your taste and refinement.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal