UKBouldering.com

Peak Trip (Read 11461 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#25 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 11:00:44 am
Rubicon would be fine for a while at least.  the traverses and 2x 6Bs, Debris Groove, Millers Tale, etc. Flat and safe for kids who'll be happy playing in the mud and dust for a while. Go there in the morning, have some lunch then head for an afternoon at Newstones?  Should be shade coming over from 2ish, nice easy access grit, mostly low grades with the odd harder thing.

No idea if this will work but I find this site useful for checking out when stuff comes out of/goes into shade, etc

http://suncalc.net/#/53.1709,-1.9739,16/2016.07.20/14:38

edit:  nearly works, just click on satellite to view the rocks.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#26 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 11:20:52 am
Rubicon is a great spot for the family. Not convinced the climbing is any worse than Raven tor, and the situation is nicer.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#27 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 11:31:18 am
2x 6Bs
If your talking about those 2 6Bs above the 3 traverses then I broke a hold on the right hand one. Probably a fair bit tougher now.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#28 Re: Peak Trip
July 20, 2016, 12:05:08 pm
Reckon those problems have been shedding holds and new ones emerging since they were first climbed on and the grade never seems to be too affected.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#29 Re: Peak Trip
July 21, 2016, 08:42:39 am
Cheers guys, all the info is greatly appreciated!

Newstones and Ramshaw look really good, good mix of low grades.

After flicking through the guide I'm well impressed with the amount of stuff around 3 - 5+. Perfect for the missus!

She is keen for Rubicon (I told her there would be crimps) so will check that out at some point, the traverses there will be handy for a bit of much needed training for Diamond season...

erm, sam

• forum hero
#30 Re: Peak Trip
July 21, 2016, 04:39:26 pm
Speaking as a low grade punter I think Rubicon has lots more to go at compared to the Tor. It even has a soft touch 7a (sorry, 7A), an extreme rairity on peak lime. What more could you ask for?

tomtom

• forum hero
#31 Re: Peak Trip
July 21, 2016, 06:16:18 pm
Speaking as a low grade punter I think Rubicon has lots more to go at compared to the Tor. It even has a soft touch 7a (sorry, 7A), an extreme rairity on peak lime. What more could you ask for?

You mean A Millers Tale? ;)

That 7A on the rh side of Kudos wall you mean? The one that's easier than all of the 6B's :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Peak Trip
July 21, 2016, 06:19:13 pm
The stuff on Tideswell dale (ET bone home etc..) is a nice little buttress - it's 2 min up a path up the hill, but the path along the valley floor below it is very buggy friendly )like a road) and if MrsLuke could be persuaded to potter down the valley and back whilst you got a quick hour in on the rock??? I could see that working.. Otherwise for general pottering with buggy and family the monsal trail is a good idea.. ?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#33 Re: Peak Trip
July 21, 2016, 06:24:58 pm
A Bigger Prize?  It's been covered on here before, the line now climbs to the right of the original made accessible after shrubbery was pruned.  Quite a Kudos wall rarity with no minging crimps or general grimness. Quite hard to spot the holds on the original.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#34 Re: Peak Trip
July 21, 2016, 06:27:23 pm
Otherwise for general pottering with buggy and family the monsal trail is a good idea.. ?

And if you go far enough you get a magnificent view of the Tor in all it's glory from above

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#35 Re: Peak Trip
July 21, 2016, 11:10:21 pm

You mean A Millers Tale? ;)

That 7A on the rh side of Kudos wall you mean? The one that's easier than all of the 6B's :)

that handsome chap again

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#36 Re: Peak Trip
July 22, 2016, 09:15:13 am
Looks good, so is that the 7A method or the easy method?

Seems way more easy stuff at Rubicon than the Tor which is good!

I'm guessing the grit crags we're going to are quiet this time of year with climbers?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#37 Re: Peak Trip
July 22, 2016, 10:22:43 am
Looks good, so is that the 7A method or the easy method?

Seems way more easy stuff at Rubicon than the Tor which is good!

I'm guessing the grit crags we're going to are quiet this time of year with climbers?

The stuff on Tideswell dale (ET bone home etc..) is a nice little buttress - it's 2 min up a path up the hill, but the path along the valley floor below it is very buggy friendly )like a road) and if MrsLuke could be persuaded to potter down the valley and back whilst you got a quick hour in on the rock??? I could see that working.. Otherwise for general pottering with buggy and family the monsal trail is a good idea.. ?

You'd love ET Bone Home Luke, great rock in a lovely setting, I think there is some easier stuff there as well, obvious peak lime caveats apply.

Durbs

• forum hero
#38 Re: Peak Trip
July 25, 2016, 10:25:24 am
Post-trip report:
Day 1: We did Three Ships as it was very close, caught a breeze and most things were under 6b so something for everyone to re-learn how to climb on rock. Evening we went up to Curbar edge which was a bit midgey unless you were on the top-top, but fun nonetheless.
Day 2: Hathersage swimming pool for less time than planned as babies all started shivering. Then finished off at Ox Stones between the rain as we picnic'd at Burbage Bridge but the weather was a bit iffy to merit a walk down to the B. South or similar.

Fun times as always, very minimal crushing but was a good trip to get the bubs out on the grit and it was so easy everyone's happy to do it again soon.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#39 Re: Peak Trip
August 01, 2016, 08:15:23 pm
Trip was ace, cheers to everyone here for the beta. Special thanks to Lagers for the Aldi pop-up tent heads up, that was an essential bit of kit!

Went to Burbage, Cratcliffe and Birchen Edge.

Little video of me and my eldest doing some climbing, soundtrack pretty much sums up his unrelenting psyche!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal