UKBouldering.com

Short peak visit advice (Read 6687 times)

CanadianDave

• regular
Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 11:10:45 am
The wife has been invited to speak at a university in the uk so I'm taking it as an opportunity to get in a little grit bouldering. We will be flying in to Manchester on night of June 17th then climbing on the Saturday and Sunday (weather permitting).

We won't be bringing pads along. I saw on another thread that the Works rents pads, are there any other options available for pad rentals?

Also where can I pick up a guidebook?

The plan is to head to Stanage for some classics on day one, any suggestions for another venue with a high concentration of moderate classics for day 2?

Thanks for any help or advice!

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 11:14:31 am
Also where can I pick up a guidebook?

http://peakbouldering.info/

Are you renting a car? Might be able to lend you a pad or two (I'm about 5miles from Manc Airport) and have some spare..

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 11:17:51 am
Plenty of places to buy guides. If in Sheffield then the Climbing Works and Foundry (Crag X) have shops though Outside in Hathersage which is only a couple of miles from Stanage would be a good place to call in.

If you want to save a few pennies I live in Sheffield and can lend you guides and a couple of pads for the weekend.

Robin Hoods Stride / Cratcliffe would be a lovely choice for your second day. The Roaches / Skyline would be another

dave

#3 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 11:24:28 am
Chances are it'll be warm (it's basically too hot for grit right now), so unless you've got unlimited skin and masochistic tendencies it might be wise to stick to crags which offer some shade and catch the wind as much as possible. Looking at the longterm forecast you might be lucky and drop on a northerly breeze, in which case Burbage South crag is a decent bet, as would the Newstones over Staffs way, or Wimberry further north. All these have plenty of midgrade bangers.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#4 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 12:10:04 pm
I can understand the desire to visit the grit. If you get cloudy, breezy weather you'll have a great time.

If the weather is warm and sunny (it does happen), give serious thought to North Wales instead. It's 1h30 drive from Manchester and is a beautiful place with better bouldering in warm weather.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 12:29:37 pm
He does say moderate classics. Shark's advice is spot on. Before I became a snobby member of the Sheffield cognoscenti I used to boulder on grit in hot summer weather all the time. Never had a bad day.

Doylo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 12:32:45 pm

If the weather is warm and sunny (it does happen), give serious thought to North Wales instead. It's 1h30 drive from Manchester and is a beautiful place with better bouldering

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 01:47:37 pm
If you find yourself not wanting to buy a guide I live almost opposite the Outside store in Hathersage and would be more than happy to lend you the guide for the weekend. Likewise a pad if you can't get hold of one from tomtom or elsewhere.

Edit. On this basis you'll need a minibus for the six pads you've got to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianDave

• regular
#8 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 03:33:42 pm
Thanks for all the replies and offers of pad loans. I might be in touch once I have more concrete plans.

I'm aware it could be a bit warm but it's not really a climbing trip so I'll be happy to just get out at all. Really I'd be pleased if I can do Crescent arete and NTBTA, hopefully not too lofty a goal for warm weather. Also hoping other people will be trying the same things to take advantage of extra pads and beta.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 03:42:34 pm
If you can drag yourself out of bed early morning you could make the most of conditions. Could possibly get good late evening too, although might stay muggy, depending if there's a breeze. Just stay on Canadian time, don't think BTOL will mind you knocking on his door at 5am to pick up a pad.

dave

#10 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 03:47:15 pm
Just cycle out at 4am with a rollmat - you'll usually find some spanish dude out at the Plantation to spot you.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 03:52:15 pm
although might stay muggy midgey, depending if there's a breeze.

rich d

• forum hero
#12 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 04:07:49 pm
Go to the peak and visit stanage, burbage north and south and then a day at the roaches, there's a reason these are the honey spots and it's because they are brilliant. If you're lucky it will be too hot and sweaty if you're unlucky it will be chucking it down.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 04:07:59 pm
If you can drag yourself out of bed early morning you could make the most of conditions. Could possibly get good late evening too, although might stay muggy, depending if there's a breeze. Just stay on Canadian time, don't think BTOL will mind you knocking on his door at 5am to pick up a pad.
I'll leave it on the doorstep!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#14 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 04:16:18 pm
Go to the peak and visit stanage, burbage north and south and then a day at the roaches, there's a reason these are the honey spots and it's because they are brilliant. If you're lucky it will be too hot and sweaty if you're unlucky it will be chucking it down.

Egg-fucking-zactly. The geez is coming all the way from Canada on a flying visit. He wants to touch The Grit! He wants to see the classic lines!

Can you imagine if he went back home and told his mates that he'd been to the Peak?
"Wow dude! Where did you climb? Stanage? Burbage? The Roaches?"
"We went to Anston Stones"
 :ohmy: :tumble:

fried

• forum hero
#15 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 04:55:22 pm
Whatt the mushroom-headed one saidsd. I've only ever climbed in the peak in recent years at the beginning of the summer, we wanna touch grit, man. Burbage, Stanage, Roaches, RHS end of story.

CanadianDave

• regular
#16 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 09, 2016, 05:45:51 pm
Sadly I won't have any time zone advantages as I've been living in Switzerland for the past 4 years. So don't think I'm likely to try for any alpine starts.

I have actually been to the peak a bit before years ago, if memory serves I have climbed at the Roaches, Curbar, Stanton Moore, a bit at Burbage (just falling off WSS), I even made it to Porth Ysgo at one point for those pushing for north Wales, but have yet to have a proper session at Stanage so am keen on that.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 17, 2016, 09:59:56 am
You still wanting any kit loan Dave? I'll be in Hathersage tomorrow morning but possibly leaving quite early to head to Doncaster for 9 (so be leaving home about 8). PM me if you want to arrange the mat and guide or of course feel free to take up one of the many numerous offers you've had from elsewhere!

CanadianDave

• regular
#18 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 17, 2016, 12:12:01 pm
I think I am all set for pads now, but a big thank you to everyone that offered a loan.

The weather is looking promising at this point. (hopefully I haven't just jinxed it)

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 17, 2016, 03:01:29 pm
Enjoy!

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 17, 2016, 03:02:16 pm
And let us all know how you got on!

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#21 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 18, 2016, 06:36:57 pm
Late advice but.. Plantation is likely to be better if it's warm, from my experience as a visitor, while Burbage North is likely to be worst in the same conditions. It's an amazing place to visit, so enjoy.

BTW, BTOL, you're living the dream...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Short peak visit advice
June 19, 2016, 09:56:03 am
Late advice but.. Plantation is likely to be better if it's warm, from my experience as a visitor, while Burbage North is likely to be worst in the same conditions. It's an amazing place to visit, so enjoy.

BTW, BTOL, you're living the dream...
Cheers! Not sure if you're referring to living in Hathersage or going to Donny for the morning but either way, thanks! More seriously though I need to get my shit together and get out more on the grit living where I do, could do with some motivation or projects to fire my enthusiasm again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal