UKBouldering.com

Soundtrack to your life....road trippin' (Read 8281 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Soundtrack to your life....road trippin'
June 16, 2016, 10:03:25 pm
It's all been a bit doom and gloom around here, so let's get creative.

My good lady and I are getting bored of our current van music list, and I know many folks on here are quite into their music, so hit me with some suggestions. Maybe 3 songs/albums each, any genre as long is it's good ;-)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Janelle Monae. ALL OF IT.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I've mentioned it before, but if you missed first time round (1989) the album Masters of Reality by the band called Masters of Reality is well worth having for repeated listening

for a decent compilation of funk, try Funk Mode or  Funk Around The World

JamieG

• forum hero
I recently stumbled across a band called 'the Monks'. Only released one album called 'Black Monk Time' in 1966. Recorded by American GIs based in germany. Pre-empts a lot of the punk movement to come later. Really excellent and a bit weird at times. Stand out track "I hate you'

In a similar vein, Captain Beefhearts very first album 'Safe as Milk' is brilliant. More bluesy than his later work, which is a bit weird for me. Stand out track 'Sure 'Nuff 'n' Yes, I Do'.

Enjoy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've currently got the last Shadow Puppets' Everything You've Come To Expect on repeat. I loved the last album The Age of The Understatement too.

For road tripping I still love The Sea and Cake, great summery vibes. Car Alarm or Everybody are good starters.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
I've become slightly obsessed with the last Bill Ryder-Jones album. The new Car Seat Headrest album is also pretty good, inspite of the appalling band name.

dave

I've currently got the last Shadow Puppets' Everything You've Come To Expect on repeat. I loved the last album The Age of The Understatement too.

Amazing isn't it? Me and the Mrs saw them play at Sheffield City Hall in April the week after it was release, was incredible. Probably listened to it every day since then.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I tried to get tickets to the only gig in Scotland, at Usher Hall in Edinburgh (which would have been a great venue for them) the day before the album was released, and just after my birthday, but they went fast. Love to see them live, hopefully there will be more dates.

dave

I had to sit there on the computer hitting F5 from 8:55am when they went on sale at 9am, got two seats, and by the time I had made the creditcard transaction all the other seats had sold, so we're talking a couple of minutes tops.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I got the presale availability code, and they still went too fast.

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
I find the best driving albums are quite different to what I listen to day-to-day. Some favourites are:

-"This was supposed to be the future" by The Nextmen. Funky and classy.
-In Rainbows by Radiohead is good for holding your attention.
-Skepta's new album is brilliant.
-Like Clockwork by QOTSA
-Wanted on Voyage by George Ezra is bouncy and catchy.
-Arctic Monkeys' first album
-Billy Talent by Billy Talent.

Wood FT

• forum hero
All very different and they will all get stuck in your head -

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - What you isn't

Floorplan (Robert Hood) - Tell No Lies

Princess Chelsea - The cigarette duet

Stabbsy

• junky
Portishead - Dummy
Charlatans - Up To Our Hips
Malcolm Middleton - A Brighter Beat
I Am Kloot - Natural History

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Two old tracks, one new

Karen Dalton - Something on your Mind
Matthews Southern Comfort - Woodstock
Lindstrom - Closing Shot

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Steve Gunn - Way out Weather and Time Off.  Both great road trip albums.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
OK some good suggestions above. Janelle Monae above all.

Try this for something different.

Manel (Al Mar or Aì Dolors e.g.). Catalan folk-pop. They sing exclusively in catalan so I can't tell if the lyrics are good, but they always lift my mood.

L'imperatrice (La Lune, Sonate pacific etc) French dance. Daft-punk-ish. Sings mostly in french, and some in English

Pierre Kwenders (Popolipo, Mardi Gras, eg) Congolese-Canadian. Raps in English, French(-Canadian), and two Congolese languages (Lingala and Tshiluba according to wiki. I wouldn't know)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Motorik selection

Neu! Hallogallo

Can: Spoon

Stereolab: French Disco

Bonus track -
Caverns of Antimatter: Blood Drums
https://www.youtube.com/embed/2DMFV-O9aIU

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I recently stumbled across a band called 'the Monks'. Only released one album called 'Black Monk Time' in 1966. Recorded by American GIs based in germany. Pre-empts a lot of the punk movement to come later. Really excellent and a bit weird at times. Stand out track "I hate you'

My brother gave me a copy of that a few years ago.  Really good, I was amazed when I found out the release date - I had thought it was by a modern garage band - modern yet timeless quality (a book equivalent is Capote's "In Cold Blood" - stripped down and truthful seeming stuff is ageless).

For more a modern choice, I have not listened to enough  of it yet for a personal opinion, but my brother bought me a copy of FourTet's Morning/Evening for my birthday and in a recent letter raved about its suitability for the driving / climbing lifestyle:

"It's just a propulsive electronic album with beautiful vocals.  I somehow imagine you listening to it in the early morning as the sun rises above the mountainous area you're going to climb, a vaguely spiritual moment, and you thinking 'I'm going to conquer you today, 8b, you fucker,'"

... he grossly overestimates both my climbing ability and the grandeur of the environment I typically test it in (he's been living in Singapore / Korea for years), but I am sure he's right about the music - his tastes are very reliable (from hip-hop to classical).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
another slightly older album that may have passed you by is The Men They Couldn't Hang's first album Night of a Thousand Candles

good music for driving

live version of The Day After (cheerful post-apocalypse love song, of course)

Duma

• forum hero
Great thread, thanks all

fried

• forum hero
I used to spend longer choosing a cassette for the car than the journey took, in recent years I drive in silence. The only exception being long (2/3 days) drives, so here's some stuff I like to listen to

Krautrock works well for me too, I listen to this coming through the Austrian alps on the way to Turkey. Nice.

African Jazz/ Funk compilation from the African pearls compilations. This one is on Guinea: Cultural revoloution.

What I really enjoyed was variety, I acquired a few complete Peel shows, by coincidence this was one of them, still sound fresh today.

andy popp

• forum hero
Sun Kil Moon or, if its dark, Mogwai.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
if its dark, Mogwai.

But not after midnight...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motown

• regular
Homeboy Sandman - Kindness for Weakness

Best new hip hop I've heard in a long time.

The Beatles - Abbey Road

An continual pleasure.

Gil Scott Heron - I'm New Here

Amazing final album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
 :dance1:  Awesome response folks, I'm going to try to work my way through the suggestions this week.

dave

TLSP are playing at glastonbury tonight, should be on the telly at 6:30.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Hopefully catch it on iPlayer. Haven;t seen any Glasto footage, embroiled in shit family business all weekend.

dave

TBH wasn't amazing, slightly let down by poor sound quality/balance on the broadcast IMHO (Kane's guitar way louder than everything else) and is often the way at these things it was a very short (25min) set, or certainly the iplayer version is. Still worth watching though. I'm off to buy a pale blue suit.

Andy P

• regular
Brianjonestownmassacre - Swallowtail - the live version. Say no more.
Taxi!

andy_e

• forum hero
And now for something completely different...

https://soundcloud.com/silent-season/sets/campfire-stories

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
PUP's last two albums, Pup and The Dream is Over, are awesome if you feel like something a little punkier.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal