UKBouldering.com

The Rich Simpson Nostalgia/Revisionism Thread (Read 29065 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
what's pinky perky / milk it? Google was most unhelpful..

krymson

• obsessive maniac
So Rich actually did Perky, right?

Three Nine

• forum hero

No actual proof he did (the vid is an edit). I don't know if anyone saw him do it? He's a colossal fibber, so I'd assume not. Malc was supposed to have done it with a weightbelt!

dave

Even if that video was an (or the) actual ascent, he doesn't match up at the top, and he's finished on the wrong hold anyway. In fact most if not all of the ascents in that vid are invalid for similar rule infractions. As if his reputation wasn't in tatters already.

andy_e

• forum hero
Dave the demon headmaster of the school room punishing sloppy schoolwork with a verbal caning.

Doylo

• forum hero

No actual proof he did (the vid is an edit). I don't know if anyone saw him do it? He's a colossal fibber, so I'd assume not. Malc was supposed to have done it with a weightbelt!

It's a 3 move boulder problem that he does from 2nd move to end and the first move a few times for the camera 5th day on and you still don't believe it?

Three Nine

• forum hero
 i don't believe his name was Rich

Doylo

• forum hero
You believe in God though, plenty of evidence for that isn't there. Where's his unedited footage?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
God was 6 days on before his rest day....

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
You believe in God though, plenty of evidence for that isn't there. Where's his unedited footage?

I'm sorry your videos are now the subject of ridicule. I like them, even the ones with Rich in. He might have been a liar but there's no edit on the 9 one armers on his left arm. Being that strong and resorting to lying seems an awful shame as he could have probably done most of it. Anyway, this can of worms is better kept shut and put next to Johnny G at the back of the cupboard...

Three Nine

• forum hero

God is gonna kick your ass you infidelic pagan scum

Doylo

• forum hero
He's a cunt.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

I'm sorry your videos are now the subject of ridicule. I like them, even the ones with Rich in. He might have been a liar but there's no edit on the 9 one armers on his left arm. Being that strong and resorting to lying seems an awful shame as he could have probably done most of it. Anyway, this can of worms is better kept shut and put next to Johnny G at the back of the cupboard...

This ^^^

The biggest disappointment is that he just didn't have a bit more moral fibre and the resilience required to actually do the routes he said he did. Because I'm sure he could have...

Doylo

• forum hero

This ^^^

The biggest disappointment is that he just didn't have a bit more moral fibre and the resilience required to actually do the routes he said he did. Because I'm sure he could have...

How do you know he didn't?

dave

God was 6 days on before his rest day....

Magic.

To be honest despite the whole Simpson bullshitting thing ironically of all the top end things he claimed its PP that I would be most prepared to believe he did. But as we all know being strong enough isn't the same as doing. Given the context of the other claims, the running, the boxing, the mystery hard grit sends, the elusive vids, the brandler hasse, I think we have no option but to strike PP from the record book do we? That is of course unless any of the school regulars at the time saw him do it, I genuinely have no idea what folk saw him get up in there. I would love for him to have done PP.

Having said that, even with all this, even with the wrong finishing holds etc etc I still love that video. Might be a bit of willing suspension of disbelief, but it's still great. 9 one-arm pullups, I mean fuck me.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
That's the hardest thing about him. All his ascents have been tarnished but there must be lot of good ones in there. What did you see personally Chris or dyou not want to go into this again?

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
9 one-arm pullups, I mean fuck me.
Yep, it's off the scale

Doylo

• forum hero
Didn't see any of his top ascents in a oner but it cracks me up when people state it as fact that he didn't climb those hard routes. . Sure there's doubt because of the boxing/running/dolomites nonsense but you can't state he didn't do those hard routes because you don't know. He was a full time climber for about 3 years, training 6 days a week and more than strong enough. I can't vouch for anything significant but I spoke to Dan Townley who Simpson told me belayed him on Liquid Ambar and Hubble and he confirmed that he did.

dave

That's the thing though, once the context is set as "this guy is making stuff up" then how do you know what to believe. Hard to give the benefit of the doubt in that situation.

Doylo

• forum hero
I know. I'm just reacting to people to people stating it as a fact that he lied about everything he ever claimed when the reality is for the most of it we don't know for sure (and likely never will).

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
I spoke to Dan Townley who Simpson told me belayed him on Liquid Ambar and Hubble and he confirmed that he did.

That's nice to hear. I was under the impression (from past threads) that there were no belayers willing to vouch for any of the hard ascents. Glad that's not true.

user deactivated

I remember bumping into Rich Simpson in the school around 2002-3 and he was jaw droppingly strong. I chatted to him a bit about bad elbows and watched him run laps on high sevens (eights?) on the 50 degree board like they weren't even there. I'd never seen anything like it at the time or since (not that I've watched many wads train), I thought he could climb any top route of that time for sure. Doylo's videos of him are inspirational and I'm sure just show the surface of what he was capable of. To me all the doubt and controversy doesn't really matter cos he was just so damn strong it was amazing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

This ^^^

How do you know he didn't?
Of course I don't "know" he didn't, that is just like proving God doesn't exist... Impossible. There's just no evidence...  Sorry!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
I remember bumping into Rich Simpson in the school around 2002-3 and he was jaw droppingly strong. I chatted to him a bit about bad elbows and watched him run laps on high sevens (eights?) on the 50 degree board like they weren't even there. I'd never seen anything like it at the time or since (not that I've watched many wads train), I thought he could climb any top route of that time for sure. Doylo's videos of him are inspirational and I'm sure just show the surface of what he was capable of. To me all the doubt and controversy doesn't really matter cos he was just so damn strong it was amazing.

This +1  :yes:

There was also the rumour that he claimed to have self-studied his way onto a (business?) degree course at Cambridge. I thought that would be pretty easy to check out. Lo and behold, on the Cambridge news page The Tab, this before the varsity bout:

"In fact, Richie Woodhall recognised Simpson from his Birmingham boxing gym, which is not a bad spot by a man who was the World Super-Middlewieght champion before Joe Calzaghe."

OK, so on the night, he didn't stack up to the billing, but it's a great answer to all those saying he'd never been heard of in boxing.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Is this some sort of group healing process shit? Now we get rumours that Rich Simpson might have actually done some hard things. I’d rather keep the ‘he’s clearly lied about too much to take anything he’s claimed seriously’ status quo personally.
Before folk get any more misty eyed, this is the guy who lied to his girlfriend, claiming he had testicular cancer, for god knows what twisted reason. That is the level of untruth the guy will stoop to. This too is hearsay (from a credible source) so I’ll have to delete it later.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:51:03 am by Bonjoy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal