UKBouldering.com

Megoswad (Read 174440 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#50 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 02:46:37 pm
In an Australian-style points immigration system, how many points does "coming over here, refusing to grade our hard routes" score you? Minus figures or what?

I believe the brightest and best German climbers should stay in Germany and help to improve the standard of routes in their own country instead of coming over here, repeating 9as and getting burned off by dave.

dave

#51 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 04:28:40 pm
As an aside where are people pulling this bullshit "bouldering grades = capital letters" thing from? #bullshit

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#52 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 04:38:15 pm
wikipedia innit

obviously it wasn't wikipedias idea, they just tell us the truth about what people do

The grades in this system are similar to the French route grades, but have different meaning. An 8a route is significantly easier than an 8A boulder problem. To reduce confusion, some people write the bouldering grades in upper-case letters (e.g. "8B+" vs. "8b+").

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=4024.0;wap

Duma

• forum hero
#53 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 04:47:42 pm
Good for clarity innit dave.

I believe it was jens 8a.poo first started it, which normally would be a good reason to ignore it, but in this case I think it makes sense.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#54 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 04:52:35 pm
Think it's actually the only useful idea ever to come from that site. Stops the V grade idiots from being able to push their inferior grading system as "more clear".

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#55 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 05:20:06 pm
I'm pretty sure it was Bjorn Pohl's idea. JL has not had a single good idea in his entire life.

Duma

• forum hero
#56 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 05:25:33 pm
Excellent news. I feel better about using the convention now.

fried

• forum hero
#57 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 06:34:00 pm
I'm pretty sure it was Bjorn Pohl's idea. JL has not had a single good idea in his entire life.

Except 'time comparison grading' of course  ;)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#58 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 06:42:10 pm
Do you also have to shout the capital letters during phonetical explanation?

dave

#59 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:00:27 pm
It's a bollocks idea, since you can't rely on a consistency of capitalisation in most online content anyway. I've never seen a bouldering guide using uppercase.

It's like having a system where you tell the difference between pounds and pence that relies on the person saying it being stood up or crouching.

tomtom

• forum hero
#60 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:11:06 pm
It's a bollocks idea, since you can't rely on a consistency of capitalisation in most online content anyway. I've never seen a bouldering guide using uppercase.

It's like having a system where you tell the difference between pounds and pence that relies on the person saying it being stood up or crouching.

Who's a grumpy bastard today then eh? ;) You're on bloody holiday too!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#61 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:13:09 pm

or a tiny dot marking the difference and the most important part being whether the number is to the left or the right of the dot - that would be craaaaaazeeey

dave

#62 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:18:16 pm

Who's a grumpy bastard today then eh? ;) You're on bloody holiday too!

Not grumpy - you'll note I'm using bollocks in lowercase, which indicates mild incredulousness with an air of resignation, rather than the conventional usage in uppercase. It's a standard I've been using for a while but only on my own pet project language website that most people think is a sack of shite. I see no problem here.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#63 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:19:27 pm
that Craster Crack must be as good as people say

tomtom

• forum hero
#64 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:27:27 pm

He was tweeting a request for the Northumberland Apostrophe Polices' number earlier... ;)

dave

#65 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:29:19 pm

He was tweeting a request for the Northumberland Apostrophe Polices' number earlier... ;)

You'd be spending a night in the cells for that post.

tomtom

• forum hero
#66 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:33:09 pm
Can I go in the stocks - where people can throw rotten exclamation marks at me?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#67 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 07:53:38 pm

Tonal lsnguages innit? Rusing intonation: route. Falling: boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#68 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 09:00:52 pm

Can't believe this is new news to you. Get with the programme Ken Wilson.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#69 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 09:06:08 pm
do we use italics for top-rope grades?

petejh

• forum hero
#70 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 09:11:18 pm
Still frenchics afaik

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#71 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 09:25:48 pm
From his instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BGIElmYSG6r/

"8c+, 9a+ or 8b+. Who cares?! It's the name that counts! And the name is HUBBLE! It's a piece of history! Thanks Ben Moon for putting up that thing and for having a vision! A vision for what is possible, the next step!"

I care. (a little bit.) I'm always slightly disappointed when professional climbers repeat hard things (with debatable grades) and refuse to comment. What are we actually paying him for??

I would also like to know, even if it's just a personal little musing of what he thought. Wasn't Hubble the worlds first 8c+? I assume people then must have climbed it for the grade? I thought it got touted to be 9a after a visiting wad failed and the grade speculation and Ben Moon myth grew from there. It's probably better for no one to comment on the grade ever again, keeping the aura alive.

8b+. Is he on crack?

Not sure what the 'Ben Moon myth' means? It was upgraded in the new Peak Lime guide, not sure thats 9a being touted around, its a guidebook upgrade. I guess people failing on it had some effect on that but still. As far as the aura goes its a really hard bouldery route which aren't really in vogue. I mean its not La Rambla is it?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#72 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 09:36:38 pm
Didn't Ondra say 9a? And he's not done it yet. Case closed.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#73 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 09:54:16 pm

Tonal lsnguages innit? Rusing intonation: route. Falling: boulder

Oops, typing on the phone. Sorry chaps.

dave

#74 Re: Megos does Hubble
June 02, 2016, 10:24:20 pm

Can't believe this is new news to you. Get with the programme Ken Wilson.

TBH I've noticed it it before a few times but it seems such a terrible idea that I couldn't bring myself to actually acknowledge its existence. Basically I thought if I ignored it it would go away. Bit like UKIP or a mysterious lump on your bollocks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal