UKBouldering.com

Lincolnshire (Read 5098 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Lincolnshire
November 22, 2011, 11:41:12 pm
So Lincolnshire, is there a worse county to live in in the UK from a climbing point of view? I ask having just attended a job interview there with some trepidation. From a quick search, it appears to have no rock, and one climbing wall, the training value of which i rather doubt....

I suppose its fairly handy for e midlands airport, so not too much hassle to fly. But that is about it?

Saying all this, it looks excellent for road biking, and there is possibly employment there :devangel:

so..... is there a worse place to live, or is this the absolute pits (for obsessed climbers)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Lincolnshire
November 23, 2011, 06:31:16 am
Well, Norfolk would be worse!

205Chris

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lincolnshire
November 23, 2011, 06:57:54 am
Whereabouts in Lincolnshire?

I guess it depends how long you're prepared to commute for? I work in Sheffield and I know people who commute from Lincoln each day.

From what I've heard the Lincoln wall isn't great for training. However you will probably be within striking distance of the peak district on the weekend, maybe stick a beastmaker up for weekday training?

At the end of the day I guess it depends on whether you think you might get a job elsewhere, or you could always take the job and keep your eyes open for more rock friendly opportunities.

Just before I moved to Sheffield I went to a job interview in Leicester. I probably would have taken the job if they'd offered it to me but they didn't. In hindsight probably the best thing that could have happened to me at the time.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Lincolnshire
November 23, 2011, 08:16:07 am
My parents lived in Leasingham for years  it used to take me just over an hour to Stanage.   my house to Stanage.......

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lincolnshire
November 23, 2011, 09:39:55 am
Norfolk would at least have other attractions.

I guess the key is whereabouts in Lincolnshire? Its a big place, and some bits are pretty close to cragging.

TobyD

• forum hero
#5 Re: Lincolnshire
November 23, 2011, 09:45:26 pm
Horncastle (!) about halfway to skegness from Lincoln. This is conjectural at the moment since i haven't been offered a place yet. Lincoln looks like the only really acceptable place to live, as Horncastle is 99% antique shops, and there's not much else about except turkey farms

JamesR

• regular
#6 Re: Lincolnshire
November 23, 2011, 10:22:01 pm
Mate!

Lincolnshire?!?!?

It can't be that far from the Peak, which is only 2 hours from Yorkshire, and a lot closer than you are at the moment! Stepping stone back North?

:boxing: clever.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Lincolnshire
November 24, 2011, 07:57:24 am
I grew up in Cleethorpes. Road biking in the wolds is amazing. Sutton gets a wave too - occasionally.

Drive to Sheffield is about an hour, via Lincoln/A57. Not much to do on an evening. I'd probably move to Lincoln and commute.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Lincolnshire
November 24, 2011, 08:49:16 am
Horncastle (!) about halfway to skegness from Lincoln. This is conjectural at the moment since i haven't been offered a place yet. Lincoln looks like the only really acceptable place to live, as Horncastle is 99% antique shops, and there's not much else about except turkey farms

3 hours to Malham; >2 hours to The Tor; hour-and-a-bit to Roach Abbey / Pleasley Vale.  Fails the climbing-after-work test.

I guess you could do a year there and then review?  You wouldn't be in a bad position to look for another Band 5 post or private work in a better location after that time.  Just make up something about changed circumstances as reason for leaving, hint that you have a new partner or something.  Downside is you'd probably be starting a rotation (ie least with popular placement) all over again in any new job.

TobyD

• forum hero
#9 Re: Lincolnshire
November 24, 2011, 06:17:03 pm
 :) cheers all for the beta / encouragement! I had already noted the excellent-ness of Lincolnshire for road biking, and that combined with a beastmaker should keep me capable of hauling my ass up pieces of rock at weekends.  If nothing else there's always :alky:

And thanks Duncan for that suggestion: i was thinking along similar lines "changed circumstances" sounds like a good one  ;)

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#10 Re: Lincolnshire
November 24, 2011, 08:18:04 pm
`Very flat, Norfolk`.  The Master knew a thing or two.                 

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#11 Lincolnshire
November 24, 2011, 08:46:46 pm
I don't know, how you could leave Devon mate?

I mean, it actually didn't rain; at least two days in the past year...

And won't you miss all those Fulmars spitting fish juice at you.

And the thousands of crags?

Why would you want all that Grit to be half a day closer?

An all those mountains, so close? Whats wrong with Hay Tor?

Actually...

Can you give me a lift, when you go?

TobyD

• forum hero
#12 Re: Lincolnshire
November 25, 2011, 11:03:39 pm
I don't know, how you could leave Devon mate?

cripes.... if it's Devon vs Lincolnshire in a 'which one's better for climbers' debate, i'll go for the county where you can go tradding, sport climbing, bouldering and deep water soloing on a very wide range of rock types within a pretty small area: all 4 in a day in easily doable. Alright, the bouldering's a bit turd unless you like razor blades (or very shiny limestone eliminates) and there are no decent walls to train at but .....

No job interviews for work i actually get paid for in devon (yet)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#13 Re: Lincolnshire
November 25, 2011, 11:33:44 pm
Indeed Toby, I guess it's a call on whether you need the job badly enough.

I know when I moved to York I knew it wasn't ideal from a climbing perspective but I hadn't any choice as I was rapidly running out of money / overdraft.

I don't know enough to know what the job market's like in your sector, but give the prevailing conditions maybe taking it and then taking stock in 12/18 months when the economy / your employability with the experience has improved might be an option, albeit probably not what you want to hear.

Thinking about it logically Lincolshire's not that bad, and if you know people you could climb / stay with for weekends you could organise your weekend trips away and sustain midweek training with Beastmaker / road biking sessions etc.

TobyD

• forum hero
#14 Re: Lincolnshire
December 01, 2011, 06:49:32 pm
Lincolnshire is now a choice i don't have to make; bugger, but perhaps a bit of phew as well. Back to the application forms!  :wall:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#15 Re: Lincolnshire
December 01, 2011, 10:29:12 pm

3 hours to Malham; >2 hours to The Tor; hour-and-a-bit to Roach Abbey / Pleasley Vale.  Fails the climbing-after-work test.

I guess you could do a year there and then review?  You wouldn't be in a bad position to look for another Band 5 post or private work in a better location after that time.  Just make up something about changed circumstances as reason for leaving, hint that you have a new partner or something.  Downside is you'd probably be starting a rotation (ie least with popular placement) all over again in any new job.

band 5 in what??
fair amount of jobs in chesterfield royal

TobyD

• forum hero
#16 Re: Lincolnshire
December 02, 2011, 08:43:19 am
Physiotherapist; Chesterfield would be great, but I assume you are talking docs?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal