UKBouldering.com

checking facts (Read 6917 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
checking facts
May 26, 2016, 10:28:13 am
Slightly off topic and apologies but did this...

Quote from: Duma
Andy fucking Pollitt turns up on ukb just as the ability to wad him is removed! Arrgh!
Loved your book Andy, second only to Dawes' of the recent lot I've read (Ben, Jerry, Ron, Dawes). Thanks for writing it, hugely enjoyed the early years which I wasn't really grabbed by in any of the other books.

...really warrant a puntering from habrich?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: checking facts
May 26, 2016, 11:12:58 am
Slightly off topic and apologies but did this...

Quote from: Duma
Andy fucking Pollitt turns up on ukb just as the ability to wad him is removed! Arrgh!
Loved your book Andy, second only to Dawes' of the recent lot I've read (Ben, Jerry, Ron, Dawes). Thanks for writing it, hugely enjoyed the early years which I wasn't really grabbed by in any of the other books.

...really warrant a puntering from habrich?

Not really, unless he's  getting a puntering for the the bit where he says

Which was factually true at the time, and even if it wasn't, not worth puntering for.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: checking facts
May 26, 2016, 11:29:10 am
That's ridiculous.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: checking facts
May 26, 2016, 11:34:28 am

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: checking facts
May 26, 2016, 12:56:52 pm
Did I really get puntered for that?!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#6 Re: checking facts
May 26, 2016, 04:39:50 pm
fuck off whore slut

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: checking facts
May 26, 2016, 04:50:14 pm
fuck off whore slut

is that a double negative? xx

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#8 Re: checking facts
May 26, 2016, 06:39:59 pm
just hoping to up the stats for use of misogynistic abuse by men against men you bitch slag

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 06:52:46 am
It doesn't read as a personal attack on you, the owners or the administrators of the forum.

Perhaps it would be worth announcing such administrative changes on the front page, as was done when email registration wasn't working, so that forums users know its current state.

Duma

• forum hero
#10 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 08:28:04 am

It doesn't read as a personal attack on you, the owners or the administrators of the forum.

As mentioned, it wasn't an attack on you, I was just excited that we had Andy posting! Was posting from my phone on tapatalk so it wasn't shown that karma was back, I didn't go as far as switching to web view to check, but do you seriously think I'm so fucking blind that  if I'd been posting from a normal browser I wouldn't have noticed the karma options had returned?

Duma

• forum hero
#11 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 08:32:01 am
Thanks for splitting the thread anyway, glad discussion of this isn't clogging up the thread on Andys' excellent book.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#12 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 09:15:21 am
Perhaps it would be worth announcing such administrative changes on the front page, as was done when email registration wasn't working, so that forums users know its current state.
As much as anything the temp removal was to gauge how much people cared about it's presence/absence. How quickly it's removal was noticed or commented on was of interest. Giving advance notice would have defeated the object to an extent. After all, what's being site admin if you can't engage in occasional social engineering experiments?

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 09:27:06 am
Fuck me, if we're all part of a matrix like virtual existence id have expected a better interface with the higher beings than UKB ;)

dave

#14 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 09:32:47 am
At the risk of breaking rank here and incurring the displeasure of the overlords I would say it is pretty harsh to be puntering someone for not noticing that karma as been turned back on. It's precisely this kind of bullshit that makes me thing it should be turned off permanently, as it causes more problems than it solves.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#15 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 09:40:56 am
^^^ what the dissenting minion said.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 10:17:14 am
I concur with Kevin and Bob.

signed

Stuart

tomtom

• forum hero
#17 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 12:24:02 pm
Ditch the Karma...

But switch on the post 'like' function, or have an upvote/downvote thing on posts... that way credit, or dissent is given to the post more than the person..

Karma is all a bit passive aggressive for my liking.. Or just punter Jasper and Lagers.... ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#18 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 12:52:56 pm
Ditch the Karma...

But switch on the post 'like' function, or have an upvote/downvote thing on posts... that way credit, or dissent is given to the post more than the person..

Karma is all a bit passive aggressive for my liking.. Or just punter Jasper and Lagers.... ;)

I prefer Karma to the UKC style Likes and Dislikes because:

I like that because giving karma takes more than just a click it isn't something that is done very often. When I +/- somebody it's required a small amount of effort.
I like that its a permanent record that the user carries on all their posts - which helps deter trolling or ill-thought out posts as people want to avoid doing things that they know will pick up negative karma.
I like that awarding karma is not anonymous.

When you see how it works on UKC, in a 2-sided debate each post generally receives as many down-votes as there are people with opposing views and as many up-votes as there are posters with the same viewpoint - which I think discourages and demeans discussion.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#19 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 12:59:24 pm
 :agree:
Most of the like/dislike voting ends up being on the first few posts in a thread rather than the best post. For the reasons Will said it tends to polarise debate

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#20 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 01:50:52 pm
 :wank:

dave

#21 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 02:10:13 pm
I like that its a permanent record that the user carries on all their posts - which helps deter trolling or ill-thought out posts as people want to avoid doing things that they know will pick up negative karma.

I'm not convinced this is true. Doesn't seem to hold true for trolls we've had on here in the past, who've jacked up huge negative karma and carried on regardless. If you're a troll it's just water off a duck's back.

rich d

• forum hero
#22 Re: checking facts
May 27, 2016, 02:16:48 pm
I like the karma system, I was very proud when I got my first negative karma and I can still remember reaching the magical 50 posts and being able to wad people. But then I'm a 43 year old white bloke, who's mainly on here to waste time at work, and isn't really part of a clique.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal