UKBouldering.com

Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe (Read 3453 times)

honroid

• addict
Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
May 24, 2016, 10:01:01 pm
Heading up to Dumbarton, Glen Croe and Glen Nevis next week for half term but I'm aware that is  fast approaching midge season. It's forecast to be warm and overcast too... Not looking good. Should I chance it, repellent-up and go as planned or would Northumberland be a better bet?!

Thanks,

H

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
May 24, 2016, 10:21:29 pm
I thought your title said midgets :D #specsavers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
May 25, 2016, 08:17:48 am
Nevis will be brutal in those conditions. Croe slightly less so. If there's any breeze it keeps them at bay though.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#3 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
May 25, 2016, 08:38:32 am
Or walk/climb fast!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
May 25, 2016, 10:17:13 pm
It's not too bad right now in The Trossachs area, but I'm sure they are lurking. Take heed of wind direction because some of those areas have aspects that will catch breezes other than the strong westerlies. Or try alternate venues like Katrine (good for Northerlies), Laggan (open to Easterlies), Ruthven (open to anything), Farr (similar), Clashfarquar / Cammachmore (east coast so less midgy), etc.

skelf

• regular
#5 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
May 26, 2016, 08:40:17 am
Not been too bad this year so far, and it to be dry with an easterly all week so you might just luck out.
Dumby being next to the sea breeze is pretty midge free most of the time. On a still damp night in the middle of summer you are still going to get eaten alive.

Connies look good next week, come up and smash something.....

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#6 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
December 28, 2017, 12:15:17 pm
Not midges I'm concerned about at this time of year, just general connies.

Off to Spean Bridge for a week tomorrow.  Forecast isn't great and opportunities likely to be limited but there are a couple of dry days forecast, wondering if it's worth chucking a pad in, does anyone know if Heather Hat or Cameron Stone boulders dry quickly?

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
December 28, 2017, 04:10:27 pm
Think you'd be very lucky to find much dry,mate. Been very wet recently and a fair bit of snow. Heather Hat has a wet vegetated top (well I never.....) but you might luck out on Maisie Gunns or stuff to it's right. I wouldn't hold your breath.Put it this way,Mrs Sherlock and myself are going to drive down from the North West to spend a couple of days at 3 Wise Monkeys in the Fort.
It really has been that shit.sorry for the bad news. :sorry:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Midges in Glen Coe / Glen Croe
December 31, 2017, 03:17:13 pm
Cheers for the update, it was good to know before travelling. Packing a pad signals intention regardless of whether it gets used. :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal