UKBouldering.com

Many people who don't use UKB because of its culture - why, and how to fix?? (Read 47754 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Many people who don't use UKB because of its culture - why, and how to fix??

Can be fixed by not doing daft things like that for starters.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
As a relative newcomer I've followed most of this debate from the start without really getting involved. But I don't have anything better to do so...

I quite like the fact this is a forum where people can say want they want. It's a bit like life in that sense, particularly the kind of life where you just chat with your friends. Some of my friends occasionally say incredibly offensive things, usually when they know that no one present will take offence or fail to get the joke.

For the most part this forum is hilarious, the debate is intelligent and the people friendly and helpful. Some of the banter might border on the seemingly aggressive, fiends responses to anyone who he views as patronising for example, which could come across as off putting. I don't personally care, but I can see why some might not appreciate that side of the culture.

As for the rest of this debate I think it's been frankly ridiculous that anyone ever tried to defend using the word 'faggot' in a non homophobic way when it just obviously is. I also think this whole 'rights' bullshit has been laughable. It comes across like a child who has been told by their parents how to behave, and is now at the age when they realise they can actually behave however they want with little consequence. Who gives a shit about your right to offend? By virtue of that right you accept people will or may be offended and then they have a right to respond. Maybe they will do they by telling you to stop being offensive. Maybe you will refuse to do that. But they have as much as a right to take offence as you do to cause it, so don't get all up yourself at the infringement on your fucking civil liberties. 

Don't get me wrong, I often laugh at the offensive jokes my friends make in private either directed at me or others (probably I'm a bad person too), but I just don't see rights as an issue. It's not about denying Fiend the right to use the word 'cunt' in massive letters and forcing him to change it, it's just about asking him if it would because it might make people's lives a bit easier. Whats wrong with Will just asking Fiend to change his signature? Doesn't force him to do anything.

SA Chris

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
Has he flounced off then?

Trying to get that dick shaped tattoo his avatar was based on removed from his forehead... ;)

TheTwig

• stalker
Best reply of the thread Monk, couldn't agree more  :thumbsup:

36chambers

• forum hero
Has he flounced off then?

Hopefully not. Fiend, I was only joking when I called you a wiener.  :sorry:

webbo

• forum hero
He's probably fucked off to get consoled by sloper.

petejh

• forum hero
I also think this whole 'rights' bullshit has been laughable. It comes across like a child who has been told by their parents how to behave, and is now at the age when they realise they can actually behave however they want with little consequence. Who gives a shit about your right to offend? By virtue of that right you accept people will or may be offended and then they have a right to respond. Maybe they will do they by telling you to stop being offensive. Maybe you will refuse to do that. But they have as much as a right to take offence as you do to cause it, so don't get all up yourself at the infringement on your fucking civil liberties. 

It's not about denying Fiend the right to use the word 'cunt' in massive letters and forcing him to change it, it's just about asking him if it would because it might make people's lives a bit easier. Whats wrong with Will just asking Fiend to change his signature? Doesn't force him to do anything.

I agree with all that except I'd say that asking people to tone down what they write on ukb because it risks offending their office colleagues - who may catch a glimpse on their work PC at lunch - isn't any sort of valid justification for asking someone to tone down what they write on here imo. Pointing out (as you do) that having cunt written in massive bold letters on your signature thing makes Fiend come across as childish and petulant, sure.

tk421a

• addict
I've been posting to UKB for a few months, but have been browsing for a lot longer. I agree with Monk on pretty much everything, but here's my thoughts...

I use UKB because:
1) It's less full of shit than UKC - people who post here actually know what they're talking about, the wiki is gold-dust, and power club actually has people with power that motivates me to keep training.
2) It's more full of shit than UKC - people who post actually say what they mean, and say it the way you would to your mates. 99% of the time it's more fun.

I think there is a cliquey-ness to it. Couple of years ago I looked at UKB as being full of mega-wads crushing, and felt like I didn't have anything to add. Now I'm slightly stronger, know some stuff, and realised who gives a shit. I'll just post and see what happens (aka joining the pub table and not grabbing my coat and leaving).
Part of this does come from the fact that the UKB population is more elite. Whether it's on purpose or not, a noob punter is going to feel more at home at UKC than UKB. I don't think that's a problem. There isn't active discrimination against anyone joining in.

I personally think that some of the "offensive" things because discussed here shouldn't be in an online forum. I'm not offended by avatars or signatures that have existed here. At the same time I can see why some might find them offensive or distasteful, and I don't see why the negative is in removing them. To continue the pub metaphor, would we be happy shouting those words out in a pub?

Anyways, that's my rambling opinion.

dave

Note to anyone: if people's avatars or signatures on the desktop version of the site get on your nerves you can turn them off via a setting I think.

tomtom

• forum hero
Note to anyone: if people's avatars or signatures on the desktop version of the site get on your nerves you can turn them off via a setting I think.

Correct. No more optimistically sized flaccid members on my screen.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero

I sense a slight air of disappointment after all the effort you put into yours.

dave

Pretty sure there is (or was) an option for signatures off, might be wrong.

Doug

• regular
Pretty sure there is (or was) an option for signatures off, might be wrong.

There is.

Go to: Profile > Forum Profile
Then there's a dropdown list under 'Modify Profile' (highlighted in orange) and choose 'Look and Layout'
There are tickboxes to select 'Don't show users' avatars' and 'Don't show users' signatures'

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I've had signatures turned off for years so I've no idea what Fiend's even is. Seems like a bit of a strange idea, like someone telling you the same joke at the end of every sentence.

Wood FT

• forum hero
I can't bring myself to turn them off because I would've missed NCB's "reached into the dark and pulled out a crimp"

Paul B

• forum hero
I've had signatures turned off for years so I've no idea what Fiend's even is. Seems like a bit of a strange idea, like someone telling you the same joke at the end of every sentence.

Or like the UKC trend of having your name above but still finding the need to sign off:

Paul B.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Arse. I was really looking forward to seeing Fiend's reaction when he finally noticed that the mods had been incrementally shrinking his cock day by day (took him five iterations to notice apparently)!
Was away in Scotland and missed the reaction. Goddamn.
Fiend - Assuming you are lurking. Really I thought you were getting annoyed with UKB being too PC and now you get upset because of knob-shrinkage prank?! Personally I thought it was classic UKB.

dave

At least the signatures on here aren't as bad as some you see on photo forums, where some folk use it to list every single camera and lens they own, in many cases making the signature ten times as long as the actual post.

tomtom

• forum hero

At least the signatures on here aren't as bad as some you see on photo forums, where some folk use it to list every single camera and lens they own, in many cases making the signature ten times as long as the actual post.

Yes - a reflection of how UN gear obsessed boulderers are compared to other sports/pastimes.

petejh

• forum hero
Ha!

Petejh.
Purple dragon cam
green dragon cam
red dragon cam
yellow dragon cam
orange metolius no.1 cam
4 120cm slings
2 sets of wires 1-10
5.10 whites
sportiva genius
a harness
etc..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Unfortunately there's no option I've found to show/hide power club though.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Be your home screen if it said Technique Club tho

tomtom

• forum hero
Was wondering where Fiend had got to..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal