UKBouldering.com

Parking at Raven Tor, Griffs and the Dale (Read 9114 times)

simon40

• player
  • Sport climber, too weak to boulder
Hi

We all need to be careful with our parking at Raven Tor, and Dale venues. Today due to weather loads of cars at the Tor, some not parked at all well. I hear there is rumblings from residents at Litton. Would make more sense when busy to park at end of Tideswell Dale and make the five minute warm up walk to the Tor.

The dale over the last week has been popular, especially Griffs and roadside. There were cars last weekend sticking out in the road, and today a car parked across the road from the Cave, right on that verge.....we just need one accident with climbers crossing, knocking cyclists off etc..
Lets not forget we share these areas with other non climbers, and unsure about Griffs but think this is private land

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
+1

It was a circus on saturday as well with some not very thoughtful parking

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I was one of two cars in the Tideswell Dale car park yesterday morning- 6+ mashed into verges just past the Tor.

Duncan campbell

• junky
Good chat this. Great to hear/see climbers being proactive about minimising their impact. I find we all too often feel we have the rights to the areas we enjoy.

I wasn't there but I will try and park considerately next time I do go if it looks like their will be an issue.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
Dont want limestone crag parking areas ending up like froggatt hairpin.... That place is a joke. Same with curbar...

dave

Doesn't help at the Top when you get anglers parking slap bang in the middle of the 2.5 car length layby at the far end, thus rendering it impossible for anyone else to get it in.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Doesn't help at the Top when you get anglers parking slap bang in the middle of the 2.5 car length layby at the far end, thus rendering it impossible for anyone else to get it in.

Or anyone parking length ways in that bay. I asked a guy to turn his car on Saturday to fit me in. If it wasn't for a camper van you can get four in that spot parked front on.

Peakboy

+1

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

+1

Probably deserted when they arrive so doesn't look so much of an issue

SamT

• forum hero
Not wanting to drag this too off topic, but have noticed the verges outside the plantation carpark getting well trashed with cars piling up when there's bags of space still in the main car park..must have been about 10 cars parked on the verges the other evening, with just 3 in the car park. Never seen this until this year.

The law of unintended consequences  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not wanting to drag this too off topic, but have noticed the verges outside the plantation carpark getting well trashed with cars piling up when there's bags of space still in the main car park..must have been about 10 cars parked on the verges the other evening, with just 3 in the car park. Never seen this until this year.

The law of unintended consequences  :-\

:guilty:

Nothing to do with the parking charge/sticker, but I park on the verges in the evenings during the summer on the occasions I climb at Plantation since the gates are shut quite early relative to sunset time and I've no desire to be locked in or make the warden (Bill?) wait to lock up.

dave

Generally parking around Stanage and Burbage seems to have gone crazy over the last couple of months. It seems to just take one dickhead to park in a stupid place over the while lines and all the rest of the pillocks follow suit. Like cars parked illegally on the actual hairpin bend at Burbage.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
they should tarmac over that unused marshy bit of the moor

loads of space there

tomtom

• forum hero
I BLAME CLIMBING WALLS.

Their proliferation has led to a rising class of plastic jockeys with no morals or feelings for the great outdoors that I OWN because I am older have been climbing for longer than all of them and have a Volvo.

The Tor is obviously becoming too popular. To reduce this I suggest

(a) a spate of car crime
(b) an increase in people taking a dump under/next to the crag. In fact, lets go one better and smear human excrement all over the holds (they might last longer anyway..).
(c) declaring Millers dale a nuclear contamination zone. I can chabb a couple of orange barriers from the building site at work to block the road, then we just need a couple of volunteers in white jump suits, with face masks on wearing fake guns/ghostbusters packs.
(d) spreading the rumour that STD's can be passed on through limestone crimps

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I blame that Shauna Coxsey transforming the image of our sport and bringing in hordes of attractive young women. Down with this sort of thing.

Er, no, wait ...

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Also noticed a few more draws being left insitu at the Tor, normal routes - Evo and Mecca. The ones on Mecca were shit or I'd have nicked them, the ones on Evo might be Moons so I was too in awe to nick them.

dave

A lad from the school left some in Mecca last week and someone took em all out and left em at the bottom of the route, so he got em back.

Given the visibility of the crag, the prevalence of clipsticks, and general access issues in the dale and profile of climbers these days I don't think there's much need to be leaving stuff in routes at the Tor.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Also noticed a few more draws being left insitu at the Tor, normal routes - Evo and Mecca. The ones on Mecca were shit or I'd have nicked them, the ones on Evo might be Moons so I was too in awe to nick them.

I've been in touch with Ben and covered the issues and he's on board. I'll take them when I next go (probably early next week) and get them back to him unless someone wants to do it beforehand.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I noticed there were some very visible clips in the wet steep bit of the Cheedale Cornice last week. Presumably they've been there all winter? Anyone want to own up/ volunteer/ swag?

Wood FT

• forum hero

I've been in touch with Ben and covered the issues and he's on board. I'll take them when I next go (probably early next week) and get them back to him unless someone wants to do it beforehand.

yeah yeah but did he say hi?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

yeah yeah but did he say hi?

No but your Mum did

kc

• obsessive maniac
I noticed there were some very visible clips in the wet steep bit of the Cheedale Cornice last week. Presumably they've been there all winter? Anyone want to own up/ volunteer/ swag?

They will be the ones in Keiths project.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal