UKBouldering.com

Employment legal question (Read 1563 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Employment legal question
June 13, 2016, 10:21:54 am
A bit unsure how to answer this one and where to look at, but the scenario is as below.

I work for an organisation where there is a central office and a series of regional teams. The regional team I work for is the last to have the job roles to be restructured. During the intervening period, my regional equivalents have been receiving an increased salary as part of the process.

Broadly, I would like to know whether a colleague and I have any strong legal case for receiving remuneration to cover the difference whilst we have been paid less; we are still to receive our final salary offer this month.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#1 Re: Employment legal question
June 13, 2016, 10:52:10 am
I would say that legally you almost certainly won't have a case unless you can prove discrimination (based on age, race, religion etc). From your description it sounds like the set up of your company means that your employer could justify treating you differently to others, even of the same grade or job-title, due to being in a different location.

Of course this doesn't mean it's fair for them to operate like this. If you think they value you enough to want to retain you I would recommend having an off the record conversation with a line manager to put down a marker and get a feel for whether they are receptive to compensating you as they have other teams. From experience I would avoid going down the HR route at this stage as they will be by the book and are unlikely to be the ones making a decision.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Employment legal question
June 13, 2016, 10:57:55 am
Also if there is any "restructuring" going on best not to rock the boat. Maybe raise it retrospectively once the dust has settled, if the difference is significant.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#3 Re: Employment legal question
June 13, 2016, 01:49:09 pm
Thanks for the info both. Probably not worth pursuing by the sounds of things.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: Employment legal question
June 13, 2016, 05:59:28 pm
But still, you are getting a pay rise  :dance1:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal