the shizzle > topos - bouldering

Roche Abbey

<< < (5/5)

remus:

--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on January 06, 2022, 08:08:41 pm ---Is lamping allowed at roche? I've never been so no idea if there are buildings in view

--- End quote ---

Access has always been a bit on the dodgy side so I'd shy away from lamping myself. Not to say you couldn't get away with it though.

Bradders:
Thanks for the knowledge folks, had a good session on lovely dry rock in crisp connies.

--- Quote from: Wood FT on January 06, 2022, 08:28:33 pm ---There’s no buildings in sight of the crags afaik. It’s a bit weird when you leave after 6pm and the barrier is across but if you drive up to it then it opens.

--- End quote ---

I left at 16.40 on Friday and the barrier was already across. Definitely a bit freaky but it did open. Assume that means you can't get in after a certain time though, maybe 16.00 or so.

DAVETHOMAS90:

--- Quote from: remus on January 06, 2022, 09:29:50 pm ---
--- Quote from: Liamhutch89 on January 06, 2022, 08:08:41 pm ---Is lamping allowed at roche? I've never been so no idea if there are buildings in view

--- End quote ---

.. I'd shy away from lamping myself.

--- End quote ---

No, never a good idea that, Remus  ;) I'd always assumed "lamping" was a slang reference to hitting. Just googled "lamping" and now know it's a reference to hunting with lights - to dazzle prey, to either shoot, or release dogs. I'm wondering if that could be why using lights in the Peak is often a sensitive issue?

Re Roche Abbey. I often used to get ridiculed for suggesting the place on a wet winter afternoon, so good to see it's more in vogue these days.

--- Quote from: Bradders on January 09, 2022, 01:52:18 pm ---Thanks for the knowledge folks, had a good session on lovely dry rock in crisp connies.

--- Quote from: Wood FT on January 06, 2022, 08:28:33 pm ---There’s no buildings in sight of the crags afaik. It’s a bit weird when you leave after 6pm and the barrier is across but if you drive up to it then it opens.

--- End quote ---

I left at 16.40 on Friday and the barrier was already across. Definitely a bit freaky but it did open. Assume that means you can't get in after a certain time though, maybe 16.00 or so.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, this reminds me of a little adventure that Steve "The Pro" Lewis and I had at Lorry Park in Matlock about three years ago. We were parked in the council building car park below the crag, and set off in a bit of a rush, so that Steve could pick up his son back in Sheff. We got to the barrier, and it was locked shut. Shit  :slap:

I had a good look at the locks, and realised the plate was only bolted onto the rest of the structure, so ran off, telling Steve to wait there, returning with a set of tools after knocking on a couple of doors.

Unbolted the plate, released the barrier, before reassembling after we'd "escaped". Returned the tools, and sped off back to Sheffield. We'd had a good afternoon, redpointing a couple of good routes, but that was definitely the highlight  :lol: :2thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version