UKBouldering.com

Climbing today... (Read 104092 times)

Wood FT

• forum hero
#175 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 07:29:47 am

I'd like to make time in this thread to mention how fantastic chalk is, particularly that stuff that costs about fifty quid an ounce.

does an ounce of that boost your ego as much as that shit that costs fifty quid per gram?

it's nice that they deliver too

No. And it's rubbish when you rub it on your gums too.

The bloke selling it promised me it was so much purer than the floury shit I usually buy

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#176 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 08:50:28 am
The Spanish seem particularly shameless about the "empty-posting". A good friend (and damn good climber - 8c at 18) has just posted onto facebook a shining example. A photo taken a year ago, of a project he hasn't done yet, talking about looking forward to the Semana Santa week off.

In general, it seems to be harmless, but there's one girl in Madrid who's up to her tits in sponsors, but climbs about 6a. By "playing the game", complete with all the hashtag bullshit turned up to 11, she's managed to sell herself as some glamourous wad. "Top 3 in the Zona Centro championships" is a neat way of saying "last, and fell off the third move of the route". She's robbing some really promising climbers of the limelight and making a bad name for female climbers in the area.

Normally, I'd leave said person nameless, but since she cheated in her last competition in order to make finals, here's Tiana's instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAK66X0MW9l/?taken-by=tianalv96

#wtfisthisshithaseveryonelosttheirminds

Curiosity got to me....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBpqF-psW2s/?taken-by=tianalv96

I like the #rodeo and #backflip on this one, whereas the rest of the wprld would see it as #abouttofallonyourarse.

r2d2

• regular
#177 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 09:47:32 am
I like the way ukb has now stooped to bullying teenagers with delusions of grandeur

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#178 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 09:56:46 am

I like the way ukb has now stooped to bullying teenagers with delusions of grandeur

The little wankers keep reminding us of our lost glory and arthritic fingers.

In my day, kids knew their place and kept quiet about how much better they were than their elders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#179 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 10:10:19 am

Keeping a strong climbing tradition going...

I'm allowed to be old and bitter now I'm 20 (she's a year younger than me).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#180 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 10:12:24 am
In my day, kids knew their place and kept quiet about how much better they were than their elders.

Yeah. Jerry was famous for his humility as a teenager.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#181 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 11:22:53 am

Who's bullying? Is pointing out the error of your ways bullying?

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#182 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 11:33:43 am

Who's bullying? Is pointing out the error of your ways bullying?

nah, but if you're going to start telling off teenagers for their use of social media, you've got a lot of telling off to do. As pointless as my picking up blokes on here for saying "feminazis", "a muscly man"  and "dog" when they mean women.  I vaguely shake my fist at 'em I guess....

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#183 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 11:59:34 am

Yeah. Jerry was famous for his humility as a teenager.

We were all angels.

There was no deliberately garishly coloured clothes, in defiance of our Army surplus clad elders.

There was no bolting, or "Fuck you I'm going sport climbing".

(~1990 a few of us managed to persuade the RNRMMC to sponsor a sport climbing trip around Europe, for which we had to make a presentation at the AGM. The flack we took and mutterings of "shame" and stifled booing was satisfying in the extreme. I got drunk and fell off my chair during Bonnington's  lecture. But after several expedition reports that listed to the ounce the distribution of rations, our blasting heavy metal accompanied slide show, I'd like to think, went a long way to changing that organisation beyond recognition.
And were labelled arogant, narcissistic youths by most of the old guard).

Top roping and dogging actually resulted in abuse being hurled by old crusties on adjacent routes. Remember when you were a dirty cheat, if you couldn't ground up, onsight, with trad gear? Weighting the rope was a cardinal sin?
We were going to destroy the great art of climbing and lose all adventure.

Same shit, different day.

It's just the way it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petejh

• forum hero
#184 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 12:44:31 pm
Lama was a young narcissistic twat with a heavy social media habit. Then he made the first free ascent of the compressor route.

But at least there's a great deal of substance behind his tacky corporate vomit. A theme of Bisharatt's article - and this thread - is the fairly recent rise of formats that allow unedited (self-edited) media exposure for climbers who have very little of substance behind all of their media spewage.

That must change the game (for those who watch it)..

tomtom

• forum hero
#185 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 02:34:54 pm
So no one here likes Instagram huh? #fuckhashtags

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#186 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 02:58:36 pm
I do.

I quite like seeing all those exotic destinations and I'm not in the least bit bothered if the climber is doing anything significant or not.
I never thought of it as a news channel, just a place to share pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wood FT

• forum hero
#187 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 03:05:54 pm

I like it, though the point of discussion I think was whether it, and other social media, were being used or abused in order to gain fame and free shit that the person would not have otherwise been able to achieve through their own actions in reality, whatever that is!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#188 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 03:49:00 pm

I really like Instagram- I only follow good, climbing-related accounts (there are a lot of them) so it's a constantly-updating stream of new climbing pictures from all around the world that I can look at on my phone whenever I'm bored. There's very little to dislike about that really.

r2d2

• regular
#189 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 03:53:12 pm
Seems like it's more to do with climbers accusing other climbers of lying, cheating or over glorifying their achievements than it is to do with social media. Saying that social media is a lot quicker way of delivering those messages to the masses as opposed to a few whispered tall tales in the Broady on a Friday night. Luckily we've got people like that climbing rumours dude to show us all the light.

tomtom

• forum hero
#190 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 03:57:46 pm

I like it, though the point of discussion I think was whether it, and other social media, were being used or abused in order to gain fame and free shit that the person would not have otherwise been able to achieve through their own actions in reality, whatever that is!

As there are 'pro' instagrammers and YouTube channel people (eg it is a method that can be exploited by 'nobody's' for commercial gain) - I don't think climbing is immune to this happening.

So yes.

I only see re tweeted or FB'd instagram pics - which probably skews things - but it does seem to be the social medium of maximum narcissism potential....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#191 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 04:46:11 pm
Says you with that profile pic you had professionally done!

Mumra

#192 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 05:08:58 pm
Seems like it's more to do with climbers accusing other climbers of lying, cheating or over glorifying their achievements than it is to do with social media. Saying that social media is a lot quicker way of delivering those messages to the masses as opposed to a few whispered tall tales in the Broady on a Friday night. Luckily we've got people like that climbing rumours dude to show us all the light.
How do you know it's a guy?

tomtom

• forum hero
#193 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 06:00:14 pm
I thought it was a tweet bot powered by fermenting courgettes....

r2d2

• regular
#194 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 06:11:03 pm
How do you know it's a guy?

Who knows. Maybe the confused mix of arse kissing and insults. Don't hear that from many women.

Mumra

#195 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 06:22:08 pm
Sounds like Dobbin

r2d2

• regular
#196 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 06:54:33 pm
Sounds like Dobbin

Is that a person?  :shrug:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#197 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 07:09:30 pm
No he's a horse in the same way you're a robot from Star Wars :no:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#198 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 07:34:51 pm
Sounds like Dobbin

Is that a person?  :shrug:

dobbin (hasn't posted for quite some time).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#199 Re: Climbing today...
March 18, 2016, 08:33:25 pm
I didn't go climbing today

I am going climbing tomorrow

in The Forest

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal