UKBouldering.com

Craig y Longridge behaviour (Read 8607 times)

grimer

• forum hero
Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 10:07:18 am
Hi all, got this email in to the BMC. I can totally appreciate her point and have every sympathy for it.  If anyone climbs here regularly could you please spread the word.

Good evening

I live at Green Bank Park in Longridge, unfortunately backing on to one of your bouldering walls, Craig y Longridge.

I was led to believe that there are restrictions in place which state that climbers will not use the wall after sunset. It is now 21:28 and dark outside with climbers still on the wall directly behind my home. In fact they are shouting to each other directly in front of my sons' bedroom window. He is now awake!

I am sick of climbers who use this wall leaving litter which blows into my garden, bringing MOTORBIKES down the narrow access path, bringing dogs with the,, turning up before 10am and outstanding their welcome after dark.

I would appreciate your cooperation to resolve these issues with immediate effect and to return my family's quality of life to that as it was during the winter months.

Regards,

Xxxxxxxxxx.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 10:58:04 am
sounds reasonable, but what's wrong with turning up before 10am?

csl

• junky
#2 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:00:11 am
Part of the access agreement:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/ViewCrag.aspx?id=797

The BMC purchased this crag in 2007 and climbers can now enjoy unhindered access. However, a code of practice has been agreed with the neighbouring landowners which must be followed to prevent disturbance to the houses below the crag:

No dogs
No radios or music
Do not use the area as a toilet
No access before 10am or after 9pm (or sunset if earlier)
Take your litter home with you
Respect our neighbours
No vehicles on site
No activities other than rock climbing

Stabbsy

• junky
#3 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:10:44 am
The other thing that could potentially become a problem is people sitting on the fences. I thought this was mentioned in the access agreement (or on the sign at the crag maybe) but might be wrong on that.

It might seem like nothing, but I noticed one of the top fence struts was broken at the Tarot Plane end of the crag. So who pays to fix it, because it shouldn't be the homeowner? If you want to sit down, lean your pad against the fence and sit on the floor.

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:17:32 am
I was there last night (although I did leave prematurely) and whilst I accept some of these things (and I'm guilty of one for sure) litter from climbers and motorbikes is nonsense.

Aren't they holiday homes? I.e not permanent residences?

dave

#5 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:27:52 am
The other thing that could potentially become a problem is people sitting on the fences.

Not much danger of that on UKB.

Stabbsy

• junky
#6 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:31:40 am
I was there last night (although I did leave prematurely) and whilst I accept some of these things (and I'm guilty of one for sure) litter from climbers and motorbikes is nonsense.

Agreed on the litter front - odd bits of finger tape, etc. I think it's largely people parking up on the road and throwing KFC wrappers out of the window. No idea about motorbikes.

They were meant to be holiday homes, but probably aren't. Vaguely remember something about maximum length of occupation per year by one person, but doubt this is enforced.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:32:09 am
Seems like those there late have held their hands up - for those who partake, its on the Lancashire Rock Revival FB pages..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566324270279682/

Well done Grimer for sensibly bringing this up...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:34:28 am

They were supposed to be when the planning application was originally put in but locals suspected they'd become permanent.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 11:51:02 am
Still, whether used occasionally or permanently, they are entitled to a bit of peace?

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 12:08:04 pm
Still, whether used occasionally or permanently, they are entitled to a bit of peace?

Absolutely, however, the chalk stained rock behind their home isn't something new. I've been there a reasonable amount and I'm a grumpy sod and I've seen very little bad behaviour. To me it feels a bit like the people below Froggatt where the road went from a 60mph to 40mph who then instantly started parking their cars in the carriageway.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 06:07:27 pm
yes because all the lights and shouting disturbs the people who live at froggatt as opposed to the people that live 20 foot away from the crag with access agreements at longridge.

petejh

• forum hero
#12 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 07:40:51 pm
There is no 'access agreement' Dense - the BMC owns the land the crag sits on and wrote up a voluntary code of conduct to encourage climbers to act respectfully towards nearby holiday home owners while climbing on BMC land.

If the typical 'English/Welsh landowner versus other' drama were played out here we'd have climbers complaining of homeowner's kids playing keepy-uppy in the back gardens because the ball occasionally goes over the fence disturbing climbers on 'our' land.. Thankfully the BMC and climbers are a bit more easy going than that.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 07:57:46 pm
Ah ok it was the use of the words "part of the access agreement" and then the listings of said agreement that led me to the mistaken supposition that there was an access agreement. You've no idea how stupid I feel now :(

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 09:29:33 pm
Enough to nip across to Lancashire to give Paul B's poorly shoulder a a therapeutic rub down.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 09:57:49 pm
If I had to rub down all Paul's injuries I'd have to move back to Lancashire!

petejh

• forum hero
#16 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 18, 2016, 10:40:27 pm
Ah ok it was the use of the words "part of the access agreement"

By csl.

The BMC site calls it a code of conduct. Subtle difference.

'Access agreement' implies the land is owned by some other landowner who allows climbing to take place under certain conditions.

csl

• junky
#17 Re: Craig y Longridge behaviour
May 19, 2016, 08:05:26 am
Sorry, my bad. was just answering Stabbsy question about visiting after 10am and those were the words which came to mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal