UKBouldering.com

Swizzy Beta (Read 8242 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Swizzy Beta
March 10, 2016, 08:34:33 am
So I'm off to Switzerland via Font at the end of April, mainly looking to boulder in Chironico and Cresciano. Have a group of helms of varying fiscal status and this leads to our main problem. Some want to kip in cars/vans and others (me) want wifi here and there, somewhere normal to poo and a hot shower every now and again!

Obviously I will be doing some of my own research (and have already done the pre-requisite UKB searches) regarding F1/hostel type accommodations but keen not to get tied down to one location in case the weather craps out. We would ideally like somewhere close to the bouldering, that's relatively private i.e. not in someone's back garden. This would allow the skint people to crash in cars and the better off folk could sleep in normal beds and consider letting the the plebs in to use the facilities. Probably a big ask...

Thanks in advance for any help!

JohnM

• junky
#1 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 10, 2016, 10:09:45 am
Make sure you throw some of yesterday's baguette out on to the lawn for them in the morning!

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 10, 2016, 10:19:40 am
Don't know if there are any F1s in convenient locations, but all you need to get in is a code to get in which your mates could use to grab a shower etc. (when the front desk isn't staffed)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 10, 2016, 12:20:08 pm
Beast,
I've stayed a couple of times at Hotel Defanti in Lavorgo, minutes away from Chironico and from the motorway to Cresciano. They also have a small supermarket and gas pump.
It's surely not as cheap as a motel, but it's clean and comfy with huge showers and huge breakfasts. They do discounts for boulderers, so I'd email them to check things out, I think if you (we) turn out in a big bunch of people they could be happy!

I hope to make it up there, so let me know about possible dates!

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#4 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 10, 2016, 01:17:42 pm
Worth looking on http://www.interhome.ch/en/ for places to stay.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#5 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 10, 2016, 03:57:35 pm
Thanks guys...

Lore, will arsebook you mate!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 10, 2016, 04:06:43 pm
Yup! My arse just rang.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#7 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 11, 2016, 03:31:49 pm
I have just been informed that we will have to pay a tourist tax and believe it to be in the region of 2.5 Swiss Franks per person per night but that this can change depending on where you stay! Has anyone got any further knowledge on what the rate is in the Ticino area?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#8 Swizzy Beta
March 11, 2016, 05:13:06 pm
I have just been informed that we will have to pay a tourist tax and believe it to be in the region of 2.5 Swiss Franks per person per night but that this can change depending on where you stay! Has anyone got any further knowledge on what the rate is in the Ticino area?

I used to live in Como and everything was much cheaper on that side of the border.
It's right on the border (the rear window of my apartment was 3mtrs from the border) and driving to Creci (my favourite spot) took ~45 min (maybe and hour if the border was busy).
Have a look at basing yourself in Italy, plenty of cheap hotels and better night life in Como.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#9 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 11, 2016, 06:52:50 pm

2 CHF/day/person is what I've been quoted staying in Ticino.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#10 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 11, 2016, 09:26:41 pm
I don't mean to sound like an idiot but what are people talking about?

mde

• regular
#11 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 12, 2016, 01:02:57 pm
I would recommend to search for a house that is big enough for all of you. If the group is large, the cost per person could be ridiculously low. You can for example try here:

http://www.ticino.ch/en/plan/accommodation/holiday-houses.html

If your friends want to sleep in their van, they should be doing so on an official campsite (there is one in Claro, next to Cresciano). Wild camping and van sleeping is strictly forbidden in Canton Ticino. You might get a (hefty!) ticket, and I can assure you the local police knows where the "secret and secluded spots" are. Well, that would not be my problem, but illegal camping upsets the local people and threatens their cooperation with us climbers. Please follow the local rules if you come as visitors.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#12 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 12, 2016, 02:19:47 pm
Good post

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#13 Re: Swizzy Beta
March 15, 2016, 11:38:04 am
Thanks everyone!

If your friends want to sleep in their van, they should be doing so on an official campsite (there is one in Claro, next to Cresciano). Wild camping and van sleeping is strictly forbidden in Canton Ticino. You might get a (hefty!) ticket, and I can assure you the local police knows where the "secret and secluded spots" are. Well, that would not be my problem, but illegal camping upsets the local people and threatens their cooperation with us climbers. Please follow the local rules if you come as visitors.

Good knowledge! I have managed to find a nice little chalet and persuade the guys that staying all together is not as bad or expensive as they think :)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#14 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 01, 2016, 11:28:27 am
So accommodation is all sorted so YYFY! Hopefully hooking up with Lore and friends YYFY

Between us we will have the Chironico and Cresciano guides. I've never been before so after any recommendations for must do problems up to 7a for me please? Thanks...

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 01, 2016, 11:30:37 am
How are you on crimps boss? Selection Door (7A) at Chironico is boss, boss.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#16 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 01, 2016, 12:35:30 pm
Depends how big they are.... :)

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#17 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 01, 2016, 04:47:26 pm
How are you on crimps boss? Selection Door (7A) at Chironico is boss, boss.

Seconded.

Sloper Attack at Chironico is also pretty fun.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#18 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 01, 2016, 05:42:22 pm
So accommodation is all sorted so YYFY! Hopefully hooking up with Lore and friends YYFY

Between us we will have the Chironico and Cresciano guides. I've never been before so after any recommendations for must do problems up to 7a for me please? Thanks...

I quite liked Harry Spotter:

No idea if it's your kind of thing. No idea if it's actually good as I only climbing it once  ::)  I just have nice memories and thought I'd share my glee.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#19 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 05, 2016, 08:19:48 am
Thanks guys, they all look qualitee!!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#20 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 05, 2016, 01:21:12 pm
Beast, I fear that at the end of April Cresciano will be boiling. And probably full of ticks.
I think Chironico could be a safer bet, there are some sectors that basically get no sun.
It will be gorgeous nonetheless.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#21 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 08, 2016, 11:26:56 am
Hi Lorenzo, point taken. I think Chironico is our main plan. Are you deffo coming?

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#22 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 08, 2016, 11:31:13 am
I have a Swiss motorway pass from my recent trip if you need one? We didn't climb at cresciano due to temps.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#23 Re: Swizzy Beta
April 08, 2016, 12:07:12 pm
Are you deffo coming?
Oh yes, absolutely, unless the weather is sh*t.
I hope to be able to leave thursday the 28th in the evening to climb from Friday on.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#24 Re: Swizzy Beta
May 06, 2016, 10:34:51 am
I have updated the wiki to give more info on areas, accommodation and guides etc

Edit: Can't seem to hyperlink to it so link is http://ukbouldering.wikia.com/wiki/Switzerland

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#25 Re: Swizzy Beta
January 26, 2017, 12:23:09 pm
Going to Swizzy in Easter (Cresc/Chironico) and planning to fly to Milan. Likely flying Ryanair and planning to take pads as hold luggage. Any experience with Ryanair and pads? I've taken a highball before with Easyjet no problem. Wondering if I could get away with a Saturn?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal