UKBouldering.com

Apr/May Climbing Hol. Recommendations (Read 8383 times)

Schnell

• menacing presence
See above about sea cliff stuff, this rules out Fair Head and the Burren which kills that idea for me (really want to climb at the latter).

It's also (comparatively) expensive to get there by ferry and I've spent two weeks in Belfast watching it rain before spending the lone good day holding down a skyhook for a headpointing hero. The mournes were constantly in fog.

Word, some of the Burren is above a huge nontidal platform, so it's not really a seacliff vibe.

Fair Head isn't a sea cliff either. It is usually easier to ab in  because the terrain below is pretty tough going but that depends what part of the crag you're going for. I'd see the weather as a bigger problem though like for Scotland, May/June is usually about as good as it gets weather wise over here.

chillax

• forum abuser
See above about sea cliff stuff, this rules out Fair Head and the Burren which kills that idea for me (really want to climb at the latter).

It's also (comparatively) expensive to get there by ferry and I've spent two weeks in Belfast watching it rain before spending the lone good day holding down a skyhook for a headpointing hero. The mournes were constantly in fog.

Word, some of the Burren is above a huge nontidal platform, so it's not really a seacliff vibe.

Fair Head isn't a sea cliff either. It is usually easier to ab in  because the terrain below is pretty tough going but that depends what part of the crag you're going for. I'd see the weather as a bigger problem though like for Scotland, May/June is usually about as good as it gets weather wise over here.

While not seacliffs in the "cliff coming straight out of the sea" variety, both places provide ample opportunity for an unsupervised pooch to get swept out to sea/spanner themselves in big dirty boulders. I'd say the mournes would be the best bet for a first trip with dog, but the lack of gear and bugger of a walk in might dampen the enthusiasm. Maybe head over next year when mutley has better crag training?

T_B

• forum hero

Apart from Ballycastle Descent Gully areas, which areas do you not ab into? I'm struggling to think of a worse crag to take a dog than Fairhead. The top is totally flat and I can imagine a hound accidentally diving off into oblivion having not realised there's an edge and 50m drop below.

The trad climbing in Sweden (Bohuslän?) sounded really good in some article Pickford wrote.

Paul B

• forum hero
While not seacliffs in the "cliff coming straight out of the sea" variety, both places provide ample opportunity for an unsupervised pooch to get swept out to sea/spanner themselves in big dirty boulders. I'd say the mournes would be the best bet for a first trip with dog, but the lack of gear and bugger of a walk in might dampen the enthusiasm. Maybe head over next year when mutley has better crag training?

Yes quite; it's on the list and a friend owes me a guided tour at some point.

When I'm confident pooch won't take a head first dive off the top of a cliff should she get free or find some other way to self-harm whilst unattended then sea-cliffs* will be high on the agenda. Ireland (inc. Northern Ireland) are high on the wish-list for trad destinations but weather, and relative expense always put me off! Apart from the reservoir incident  and the consumption of one sheepskin rug she's (the dog that is) been fairly well behaved (actually bloody well behaved given her past).

*including cliffs in close proximity to the sea

The main thing I can glean from this thread is to never get a dog.

I'm going to take the greatest delight in seeing you compromise in some-way in the future, or you realising that (when old) you wish you had compromised to have experienced a slightly more rounded life, after all, they're just rocks and some Czech 6yr old will have just onsighted your prized tick in his trainers as a warmup and logged it as 'soft' on 10a.nu. How's that finger injury coming along BTW?  ;D

Schnell

• menacing presence

Apart from Ballycastle Descent Gully areas, which areas do you not ab into? I'm struggling to think of a worse crag to take a dog than Fairhead. The top is totally flat and I can imagine a hound accidentally diving off into oblivion having not realised there's an edge and 50m drop below.

Given that I've been there a few times without an ab rope, a fair few of them. Not to say it's easy, quick or very enjoyable. You can walk in to various routes from Grey Man's Path at east end fairly easily though.

T_B

• forum hero
Tell me about it. I once walked pretty much the full length of the crag on a day I'd deemed too cold to climb  :slap:

Paul B

• forum hero
We've managed to weasel some earlier dates and found some accommodation on AirBnB... Bring on Fontainebleau, it's been a while!  :spank:

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal