UKBouldering.com

Motorbike pr0n (Read 133917 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#575 Re: Motorbike pr0n
July 19, 2021, 12:01:42 am
A road trip to the Dollies. That sounds great Lore.
Would you try to climb too, or just tour around? Would be amazing in fine weather.
I need to sort something for carrying a little bit of gear, but generally prefer to go light, for a scratch around the Peak. Will have to head over to Wales for a day trip, but saving pennies at the moment.

Great shots from your ride around the Peak there Liam.
Sounds like you had a great time. Must have been super hot. Side stands were sinking into melting tarmac yesterday.

Fine looking bike you've got there.
Hope it's OK. File's a bit big, but should display OK  ;D

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#576 Re: Motorbike pr0n
July 19, 2021, 07:38:51 am
Thinking of trying the North coast 500. Is it worth it?
Hey I reckon it must be like 400 miles from Sheffield just to get to the start of the NC500!
I'd say that if you can take your time it's surely worth it. If I were you I'd like to take one and half or two days to get there, then another two for the NC then equal time to get back.
A few friends of mine go every year to a bikers' fest in Faaker. Not the kind of situation that I like at all, but apart from that it means 600 kms of highway, a few hundreds of kms there, 600 kms of highway back...
You should sort your clothing really well for Scotland!
I say take a few days off and go and enjoy it.
As for the Dollies, a very close friend of mine has a house there in Madonna di Campiglio, the plan is to get there via normal roads, try to climb a couple of days, and drive back.
Fingers crossed.
Another plan is to go to Le Castellet in September for the 24h Bol d'Or...

Paul B

• forum hero
#577 Re: Motorbike pr0n
July 19, 2021, 10:41:34 am
Isn't the NC500 routinely clogged by car clubs and campervans these days (who contribute very little to the local economy)?

I spoke to someone up that way and asked about doing it on a road bike and his suggestion was as above.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#578 Re: Motorbike pr0n
August 12, 2021, 02:13:33 am
Being a bit lazy here. I don't know if anyone has posted these up already, but this is the first episode of the "TT Lock-in" series from 2020. Loads of others in the series, if you want to gorge yourself on the feast.

This one starts with an amazing description from Milky Quayle, of a lap by Hickman in the Superbike race from 2019:

:2thumbsup:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#579 Re: Motorbike pr0n
August 12, 2021, 05:29:01 am
Day 6 of "TT Lock-in" is a real treat.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#580 Re: Motorbike pr0n
August 12, 2021, 09:12:33 am
Fantastic!!!
Thanks Dave!!!
On a side note, I bought new front calipers for my SV. 4 pistons Nissin from a CBR 600 F.
Grinning like a mofo.
P.s. Milky Quayle is the ultimate TT junkie!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:27:59 am by Nibile »

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#581 Re: Motorbike pr0n
August 12, 2021, 02:06:34 pm
Fantastic!!!
Thanks Dave!!!
On a side note, I bought new front calipers for my SV. 4 pistons Nissin from a CBR 600 F.
Grinning like a mofo.
P.s. Milky Quayle is the ultimate TT junkie!

Fab about the new stoppers  :2thumbsup: :punk:

Re Milky. Isn't he just. What a nutter. "I crashed there too. And there. Broke a couple of toes here. This one wasn't so good; some smashed up legs, that sort of thing.. This is what we call the Carlsburg Corner; it's beautiful.. Yeah, bit close to the kerbs there.."

:slap:

Reminds me of a corner through Owler Bar near Sheffield. Beautiful rising RHander, with a negative camber change just after the apex. Nearly threw me into the kerb on my KR1-S 30 years ago. Now one of my favourites.

Still wrestling with fueling issues on my bike. May just have to drain completely, but trying a fuel additive at the moment.

Re the above vids, can't believe 2000 was so many years ago!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#582 Re: Motorbike pr0n
August 12, 2021, 02:23:46 pm
Indeed!!!
I think we all have a special corner that we like to ride in a certain way!
I'm thinking about buying a cheap action camera to put online some videos about my trips around here...

I hope you fix your fuel issues!

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#583 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 06, 2021, 08:33:40 pm
Had my first track day today at Oulton Park! We got very lucky with the weather considering its been raining for weeks and had a brilliant day!

First session out, I didn't enjoy it. Was pushing too hard before I knew the track, making lots of mistakes and felt like I stayed on by the skin of my teeth on more than one occasion.

Second session I decided to start away from my mate to eliminate trying to burn each other off and took it steady, getting my lines and technique right. Much better! Riding smoothly and a lot quicker by the end of the session.

I got 7 sessions in total and my riding improved in each one. By the end of the day I was overtaking almost everyone in novice except the quickest few. It's such a good feeling hunting people down and passing them in the corners  :devil-smiley:

As brutally quick as the bikes are, it feels almost serene when you are riding at your quickest. Everything has to be very smooth and its a great feeling when you're pushing in the corners playing a delicate game with the amount of right hand you can wind on as you pass the apex and pick the bike up! Would recommend to anyone who's not done one, you learn a lot about what the bikes can really do!

SamT

• forum hero
#584 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 06, 2021, 10:45:13 pm
Nice.  So jealous.

I've been isolating with Covid (not feeling too bad though) and bored out of my scone working from home, so have been watching a few of Taylor MacKenzie's YouTube channel stuff, (and some of Lee Johnston's too. )

Some of the "Mac chat" interviews Taylor does are pretty cool.. All totally amateur, but hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL43hUdGnlW9FjF_Py5h0pt-wuIMMp3J0_
(The Steve Parish, Neil Hodgson and Jonathan Rae ones are pretty good

The "Mad Mark" videos are just bonkers.  :lol: - Niall MacKenzie - what a legend. 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL43hUdGnlW9GEhVbYDr2LUwweWGYJWyjo

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#585 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 06, 2021, 11:10:46 pm
Liamhutch89.

That's fantastic. Great to hear you had a good break with the weather.

Bubba always raved about Oulton. I did a lot at places like Cadwell - worth looking out for when the National circuit is open.

You learn so much on the track, with the room to make some mistakes, that you just can't easily get away with on the road.

Would be good to drop you a line sometime.

Sam, I've been checking out some of the action from Oliver's Mount.

Check it out!  ;D 

nik at work

• forum hero
#586 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 07, 2021, 12:06:16 am
The guy who me and Nibs pit crewed for at the Manx Grand Prix a couple of years ago is one of the owners of Oliver’s Mount.

Chris says hi etc…

SamT

• forum hero
#587 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 07, 2021, 08:59:42 am
Olivers Mount/Gold Cup is a funny one for me.  Great that its still going but I find the coverage and the track a bit boring to watch.  Bet its great to actually be trackside for the Gold Cup though.  Bet its a great atmosphere.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#588 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 07, 2021, 09:13:53 am
The guy who me and Nibs pit crewed for at the Manx Grand Prix a couple of years ago is one of the owners of Oliver’s Mount.

Chris says hi etc…
Great experience Nik!!! Terrifying at times.
Good to hear about the track time Liam, I am enjoying some as well, but in short tracks with miniGP bikes.
Normal tracks are too expensive and too crowded for me at the moment. Plus, I don't want to scratch my bike, so I'd always ride very tense and not fully committed.
MiniGP bikes are awesome, you can learn so much, especially how to carry speed through the corners, instead of the classic brake hard/full gas.
Recently I went to a track that's owned by the father of Lorenzo Dalla Porta, former Moto3 world champion and now Moto2 pilot. It's a micro track with lots of corners, I did three sessions and the following day my legs were still cooked.
Brilliant.
Can't wait to go back.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#589 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 08, 2021, 06:18:48 am
Somehow I lost my reply to Liam, but great to hear about the track action.

Here's something Lore may find easy to understand:

https://youtube.com/shorts/kdO8Yrj2oMk?feature=share

Check out the videos of Millyard making his bikes, if you want something a bit more difficult to get your head around  ;D

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#590 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 08, 2021, 10:11:57 am
Liamhutch89.

That's fantastic. Great to hear you had a good break with the weather.

Bubba always raved about Oulton. I did a lot at places like Cadwell - worth looking out for when the National circuit is open.

You learn so much on the track, with the room to make some mistakes, that you just can't easily get away with on the road.

Would be good to drop you a line sometime.

I'm already planning when I can next get on track and cadwell looks great. Unfortunately I'm riding to the track at the moment so its difficult to book in advance at this time of year. 2 hours on the motorway in the rain and then trying to ride a wet track on normal road tyres is not ideal.

I'm already looking into these package deals to Cartegena for a few days! I'm a complete newbie with bikes so feel free to drop me a line and impart any wisdom.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#591 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 09, 2021, 06:47:36 pm
Wisdom? That's funny!  ;D
I'd consider myself a long term newbie.

Sounds hardcore with the ride there/back in the rain. Great effort.

I'll PM you. Will be great to check out the bike. I could do with sorting out some decent winter storage for mine.

Just checked out the track day packages. Sounds fantastic.
Warm, dry asphalt and sticky rubber - not something you'll find much of here at this time of year  ;)

These guys?:

https://trackdays4all.com/cartagena/

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#592 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 15, 2021, 01:04:31 pm
Still buzzing from the track day last week, I've gone ahead and booked the trip to Spain for 4 days on track in February at Andalucia:

https://eurotracks.nolimitstrackdays.com/euro-tracks/andalucia.aspx

Cannot wait!

Now for mods:

tank grips - already purchased from stompgrips
suspension setup - done, stock springs were ok for me
quick action throttle - done, bought an R6 throttle tube for 20 quid (I think it's 1/6 turn instead of the standard ZX6R 1/4 turn)
Supercorsa tyres - will put these on fresh before I go
steering damper - I think I'll need to bite the bullet on this and go for an ohlins at around 330 quid.
rearsets - half tempted to go for ebay/amazon specials on these. Bad idea?

Nice to have items that aren't necessary so probably won't buy:
quickshifter
shorty levers

And things I should do but probably won't:
aftermarket fairings to save my OEM's
clip ons for easy replacement
remove passenger pegs and seat - I loathe having to spend nearly 50 quid for an exhaust hanger in place of the passenger pegs.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#593 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 15, 2021, 03:09:45 pm
Still buzzing from the track day last week, I've gone ahead and booked the trip to Spain for 4 days on track in February at Andalucia:

https://eurotracks.nolimitstrackdays.com/euro-tracks/andalucia.aspx

Cannot wait!

Now for mods:

tank grips - already purchased from stompgrips
suspension setup - done, stock springs were ok for me
quick action throttle - done, bought an R6 throttle tube for 20 quid (I think it's 1/6 turn instead of the standard ZX6R 1/4 turn)
Supercorsa tyres - will put these on fresh before I go
steering damper - I think I'll need to bite the bullet on this and go for an ohlins at around 330 quid.
rearsets - half tempted to go for ebay/amazon specials on these. Bad idea?

Nice to have items that aren't necessary so probably won't buy:
quickshifter
shorty levers

And things I should do but probably won't:
aftermarket fairings to save my OEM's
clip ons for easy replacement
remove passenger pegs and seat - I loathe having to spend nearly 50 quid for an exhaust hanger in place of the passenger pegs.

Absolutely fantastic Liam  :2thumbsup:

Of the above, I'd be more inclined to go with the pattern fairing, than some of the other mods - and keep it on for the road too  ;)

£50 for a slightly bent bit of metal with a few lightening holes drilled in it? - make one  :thumbsup:
Or:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193499624198?hash=item2d0d79f306:g:0-UAAOSwvCRe2gWI

Tyres are amazing these days.

I used to get slappers all the time while riding my KR1-S - very commonly on the road - but the ZX6 seems so stable in comparison. If you've had the suspension set-up checked over, you may find it's more stable now anyway. Just a thought.

More pics of your bike please  :2thumbsup:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#594 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 15, 2021, 05:34:29 pm
I should have had an afternoon of classes for work, but they got cancelled, so I jumped on my bike and rode a few (four) hours. In between I visited the biggest Bimota museum in the world which happens to be here near Siena.
Mesmerizing.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#595 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 15, 2021, 05:38:00 pm
This place here.

I don't know if there are subtitles available, but I think the images speak for themselves.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#596 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 15, 2021, 08:35:38 pm
What a feast.
All that naked billet Lore  ;D

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#597 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 15, 2021, 10:14:34 pm
Don't tell me...
The owner told me that, despite current machinery could provide a better finish, they still use original CNC machining to exactly match the original parts, with the same cutting patterns on the metal.
The 835 numbered white YB4 is due to race at - hopefully - next year's TT with Stefano Bonetti. One intimidating machine.
He also showed me another YB4 that was used for illegal road races in Sicily, the former owner won a building with that bike, 194 bhp for 135 kilos, in 1994. Mental.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#598 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 16, 2021, 11:05:53 am
Edit: 150 kilos, and the year was 1991.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#599 Re: Motorbike pr0n
October 19, 2021, 06:24:59 am
https://www.practicalsportsbikesmag.co.uk/features/special-brews/blue-blood/

Plenty of great articles.

The current edition of the magazine is a "Two Stroke special". Worth seeking out  :2thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal