UKBouldering.com

Small POD mat replacements?? (Read 6347 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Small POD mat replacements??
February 15, 2016, 12:38:10 pm
My PODs are coming to the end of their days, they are saggier than a granny's udders and probably more dangerous than no pads at all as the best they can do is cover up the landing and deceive me that it's okay when I'm just going to plummet straight through them onto rocks.

I'd like a like-for-like replacement for the small ones. The size is perfect as they easily fit in the back of the choadmobile and open out to be just the right size for a tent camping mattress when needed. Plus I like the flexibility of two small ones (oooh errrr etc).

Looking at it, BD Impact seems to be an option. Any other reccomendations??

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#1 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 15, 2016, 12:45:53 pm
Edit: BDs are too big I think. POD smalls fold to 90cm x 55cm approx. http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/grivel-crash-pad-p-2179.html seems to be closer.

Edit #2: I think I was getting the open out sizes for BD Impacts. I'm guessing they fold to 100cm x 57cm which would be okay.

dave

#3 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 15, 2016, 01:46:03 pm
I think of the stuff currently on the market only Organic make mats in loud enough colours for Fiend.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 15, 2016, 02:09:43 pm
At that sizes, have a look at Organic and Metolius pads. Most Euro/UK pads seem to be 1m wide on their long side (when folded) which makes them impossible to slot neatly into a boot footprint. Yank pads tend to be 90cm and might be just the right fit for you. I recently bought an Organic full pad and it fits into a Fabia's boot like a jigsaw piece. The Metolius Boss Hogg is the same size and isn't a shit pad.

mark20

• junky
#5 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 15, 2016, 02:20:08 pm
I got a Wild Country Touch Down pad which I really like. Small but chunky and the foam is lasting well. Handy for taking trad climbing to tame those spicy landings before the first runner ;)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 15, 2016, 08:05:14 pm
I got a Wild Country Touch Down pad which I really like. Small but chunky and the foam is lasting well. Handy for taking trad climbing to tame those spicy landings before the first runner ;)

+1

Sidehaas

• stalker
#7 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 15, 2016, 08:13:44 pm
At that sizes, have a look at Organic and Metolius pads. Most Euro/UK pads seem to be 1m wide on their long side (when folded) which makes them impossible to slot neatly into a boot footprint. Yank pads tend to be 90cm and might be just the right fit for you. I recently bought an Organic full pad and it fits into a Fabia's boot like a jigsaw piece. The Metolius Boss Hogg is the same size and isn't a shit pad.

+1 to Metolius pads fitting between wheel arches that other pads won't

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#8 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 01:12:58 pm
Cheers guys. Will have to remeasure my boot as it could be 100cm, just. Will look into suggestions for sure.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 01:48:09 pm
My A3 is actually slightly narrower than a 306 - there is about a metre between the arches but the opening is less (quattro is shallower than normal but I think the same width). My Petzl Alto (1m) is a struggle to get in and probably isn't doing the trim any good each time I ram it in. Might buy a Metolius.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#10 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 01:56:42 pm
For info, I'm driving a Skoda Fabia (best car in the world, obvs)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#11 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 03:25:40 pm
Cheers will measure accurately. I definitely need something that fits in the boot (PODs are perfect) cos if I'm parking next to Johnny Footwork at the plantation I'm going to need a decent pad to add to his pile beneath Careless....

cofe

• forum hero
#12 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 04:00:26 pm
My A3 is actually slightly narrower than a 306 - there is about a metre between the arches but the opening is less (quattro is shallower than normal but I think the same width). My Petzl Alto (1m) is a struggle to get in and probably isn't doing the trim any good each time I ram it in. Might buy a Metolius.

My new wheels are similar. A 1-metre goes in but it is a squeeze. Tempted by an Organic Full Pad when I get a new one, but they're not cheap.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 04:23:02 pm
Cowboyhat has a Metolius (Boss hogg I think?) which he sensibly chose by parking his M-sport beemer in Outside and walking in and out with their stock to get the best fit.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#14 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 06:55:46 pm
I had a DMM highball when I bought my last car so took it round showrooms to ensure the cars were compatible with the pad, not the other way round.

It's all about priorities.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#15 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 07:11:15 pm
Cowboyhat has a Metolius (Boss hogg I think?) which he sensibly chose by parking his M-sport beemer in Outside and walking in and out with their stock to get the best fit.

Exactly what I did at the Depot with the Full Pad. I managed to split half the cost as a Chrizzy present otherwise I would have gone with the Hogg. At the time the neat fit in the boot wasn't top priority but I'm glad I got something that did fit snugly as it will make a big difference driving to Font. I can also recommend the Organic one on the grounds that for a hinge pad the carry system for taking a second pad of the same size (half pad/similar sort of thing from alpkit/snap etc) is excellent.

Sidehaas

• stalker
#16 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 16, 2016, 08:17:49 pm

Same as my pad which also fits in a 120d coupe boot.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#17 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 18, 2016, 06:08:44 pm
Apparently the inside of a 2006 Audi A3 non-Quattro boot is precisely 99.5cm  :-\

How squishy are pads these days? I could probably fold my PODs in quarter they are so soft so I can't tell how much leeway there is there!

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 18, 2016, 06:25:07 pm
My Volvo has an annoyingly narrow 89-91 cm between the wheel arches and if I can't be arsed to drop the rear seats and put pads in lengthways - then 1m wide pads can be squeezed in. So I suspect you'll be alright with those 5mm ;)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#19 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 18, 2016, 09:32:25 pm
These used to be rated (are they still in business?), not sure if they're considered a bit skinny these days at 8cm but then you could buy two for the price of one Organic.

http://www.climbingfactory.co.uk/products.html

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#20 Re: Small POD mat replacements??
February 20, 2016, 07:36:54 pm
Went for the Grivel. Go Outdoors were doing them for £90 and a mate sold me one of his with a missing shoulder strap for £35, two okay mats for £125 is fine by me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal