UKBouldering.com

Pads - best carry systems (Read 11741 times)

cofe

• forum hero
Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 12:12:43 pm
Was going to post in an old topic, but thought it warranted its own.

Looking at getting a new pad, but after a decent carry system (comfy straps, waist belt etc) rather than just basic rucksack-style straps. You'd always use the waist belt on a big rucksack, so why not a pad.

Anyone had any good/bad experiences with any? Organic Full Pad looks decent, but they're about twenty grand. Does Moon Warrior have a waist belt?

Ta. xx

dave

#1 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 12:34:38 pm
I've thought about this before, reckon one of the main limitation to comfort on something like our big Pods when fully loaded is the fact the back doesn't give you a symetrical profile because of the folding non-hinged design. One side is always curved so it never sits straight on my back. I reckon for a decent heavy carry you'd have to go back to a hinged type mat.

P.S. I'm gonna be screwed because it seems any hinge mats with a decent back system are all of the straps-facing-down-covered-in-mud type of mats, which I also can't be doing with.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:49:52 pm by dave »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 02:48:52 pm
The Petzl harnesses are very good, probably the best feature. But they too are about twenty grand and I'm not convinced the flip-zip is going to last more than a season.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 02:57:40 pm
Large SNAP wraps have a waist belt too...

though (a) they are also £££ and (b) whilst the air pocket cushioning is the biz, I'm not convinced about the foam longevity.. (as I understand others think too..)

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#4 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 05:00:44 pm
The large Beal pads have a waist strap and the ability to wear it like a backpack or sling it over one shoulder.

I've never had a problem with their foam, either - after owning 4 or 5 of them over the years.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 07:44:51 pm
The Petzl harnesses are very good, probably the best feature. But they too are about twenty grand and I'm not convinced the flip-zip is going to last more than a season.

Yeah, looks a bit flaky for long term use. Simpler the better, I reckon. Just want a decent carry set up.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 07:53:04 pm
I can vouch for the Organic Full Pad system. The carry system for a second pad (encompassing it in that big flap) works very well indeed.

rainbow

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 07:59:40 pm
I emailed Snap in Dec about the possiblity of adding a waist belt to the P'tit wrap pad (the smallest one they do with the air cells) Fair play to them, they said they would add the loops to all the new ones made. Giving customers the option with or without, think the belt is an extra 15 euros. New models should be available from mid march.

neilslim

• regular
#8 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 22, 2016, 08:43:02 pm
Big Alpkit mats have a decent waist strap. And good price

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 03:03:50 am

though (a) they are also £££ and (b) whilst the air pocket cushioning is the biz, I'm not convinced about the foam longevity.. (as I understand others think too..)
You still storing a really thick taco folded up though tomtom? No problem with the foam on mine.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 06:58:33 am

You still storing a really thick taco folded up though tomtom? No problem with the foam on mine.

Nope - I'm storing it opened now (unless its overnight in the car etc...) - and its not bad but its getting softer. Had a conversation at the crag on Tues with a fella with a brand new Organic large pad, and he was bemoaning the Snap Wrap. He was saying it was one of the best pads he'd owned but the foam went after less than a year.

TBH, if the foam is going in the centre part where its folded - I think thats use of poor quality foam - as my three other taco pads (including a 8 YO SNAP Calzone) still have perfectly fine foam despite being stored folded...

Either way - if my premium bracket (>£250) pad was 'soft' or broke after a year I'd consider that bad form...

Its frustrating - as aside from the weight, the Wrap is easily the best pad to fall on I've owned - but I have doubts about the longevity...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 10:07:42 am
there's a waist strap on my metolius boss hog mat. never used it

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 01:02:23 pm

That system is terrible though as it leaves either straps, or a loop for straps on the falling surface which is just likely to SnapTM my legs.

The old BD mondo used to have a very comfy carrying system / belt.

dave

#13 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 01:10:58 pm

That system is terrible though as it leaves either straps, or a loop for straps on the falling surface which is just likely to SnapTM my legs.

My large pod/s has the shoulder straps on the top surface, and although you can unvelcro them I never bother, and I can't think of an instance where I've ever tripped over them.

Might be more of an issue if there are pads with bigger more structured shoulder straps that don't lie flat.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 01:50:11 pm

The old BD mondo used to have a very comfy carrying system / belt.

The straps velcro off rather than loop off in the old versions. I have caught one on a previous mat and gone cartwheeling down hill - so I'm reasonably careful to remove them now (depends on the landing etc..)

T_B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 03:12:19 pm
You'd always use the waist belt on a big rucksack, so why not a pad.

Cos a pad weighs 5Kg and a rucksack normally weighs a lot more?

TBH I can't imagine carrying so much weight that I'd need a hip belt. I frequently strap my Moon Saturn to a DMM Highball and have no bother carrying the two together with the shoulder straps on the DMM.

A hip belt is just another thing to get covered in mud/trip over.

FWIW my DMM Highball was repaired recently by them - absolutely brilliant customer service, in that they sent a courier, repaired and returned it to me all within a week. I doubt you'd get that kind of service from some of the distributors flogging foreign brands.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#16 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 03:34:36 pm

TBH I can't imagine carrying so much weight that I'd need a hip belt. I frequently strap my Moon Saturn to a DMM Highball and have no bother carrying the two together with the shoulder straps on the DMM.

FWIW my DMM Highball was repaired recently by them - absolutely brilliant customer service, in that they sent a courier, repaired and returned it to me all within a week. I doubt you'd get that kind of service from some of the distributors flogging foreign brands.

I've had shoulder and neck trouble in the past which was caused by poor posture but aggravated by carrying rucksacks/heavy loads etc on my back. Particularly after flogging up to Simon's Seat carrying two pads and a day's clothing and kit in winter. Wouldn't even consider a pad without a good carry system now. Personally I couldn't give a monkeys if the straps get a bit muddy as I only wear my scruffiest old clothes to go climbing in anyway.

cofe

• forum hero
#17 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 03:43:56 pm
Yeah, the more weight I can get off my shoulders/neck the better. A decent pad is 5-6kg, I often carry two, and then a bag full of shoes etc.

T_B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 04:00:17 pm
Maybe get a porter? #wimps

cofe

• forum hero
#19 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 04:14:48 pm
I've got one, but he broke his leg.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 04:20:26 pm
Maybe if he'd had a wast-belt to stabilise the stack of pads on his back...

cofe

• forum hero
#21 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 04:23:17 pm
Probably overkill when you're playing in goal.

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 04:23:40 pm

Snap Wrap (regular size) is 10kg... bigger fancier mats = more KG's... I dont take it for long walk ins..

Paul B

• forum hero
#23 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 04:26:24 pm

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#24 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 09:08:04 pm
Small rucsac with bouldering kit strapped frontwards on you - alleviates the weight on your back, less kit flying out of pad or deforming folding pads, balances weight distribution, semi-authentic pregnancy simulator....

bolehillbilly

• stalker
#25 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 23, 2016, 10:01:19 pm
Small Large rucsac with excessive bouldering kit strapped frontwards on you - alleviates the weight on your back, less kit flying out of pad or deforming folding pads, balances weight distribution,
As above works for me with small Snap Pad and a DMM Highball.  No problem with longer walks in Churnet or bashing about in obscure South Peak.

Snap is 1 year in now, always store flat and foam still seems good.  Agree they are £££ but figure my knees are worth it.

dave

#26 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 06:56:18 am

Small rucsac with bouldering kit strapped frontwards on you - alleviates the weight on your back, less kit flying out of pad or deforming folding pads, balances weight distribution, semi-authentic pregnancy simulator....

And has the added benefit of looking like you're part of a badly thought out bronze DofE exped.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#27 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 08:27:19 am
T_B - Depends where you’re going and what you’re doing. Even a relatively short walk in is a ball ache if you’re also carrying ropes, harnesses etc, and another pad. Slogging up to Kinder with a fullish sack inside a big pad is grim on back/shoulders.
Someone should invent a luxury carry system that can be strapped on/off to any conventional pad. That way you’d pay once for something really good rather than paying a premium for something half-arsed every time you got a new pad and you'd only need to have the extra faff/weight when you needed it.

dave

#28 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 08:47:40 am
Someone should invent a luxury carry system that can be strapped on/off to any conventional pad. That way you’d pay once for something really good rather than paying a premium for something half-arsed every time you got a new pad and you'd only need to have the extra faff/weight when you needed it.

How about any new/old/military external rucksack frame?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#29 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 09:05:41 am
Perfect! Just need to add the pad attachment straps.

dave

#30 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 09:07:30 am
You could probably do it by cutting down one of those baby carrier rucksack things too.

andy_e

• forum hero
#31 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 09:14:51 am
Just hire a Sherpa, word.

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 10:19:19 am
Just hire a Sherpa, word.

Or climb with people who take enough mats.... ;)

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#33 Re: Pads - best carry systems
February 24, 2016, 11:34:42 pm
Always thought something like this would work when not off piste.. 
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=191794465479&category=147839&pm=1&ds=0&t=1456356644526

Think they weigh the same as my scooter, so could slot in if there's a heathery or boggy impasse

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
#34 Re: Pads - best carry systems
March 03, 2016, 01:23:53 pm
I've got to get a new one before a trip to the Gunks on the weekend, as I've been out of the game so long got rid of my old dropzone.  :(

Looked at the Petzl Alto yesterday, zipper worried me anyone had one and had that break or is it solid?

galpinos

• forum hero
#35 Re: Pads - best carry systems
March 03, 2016, 01:30:49 pm
I've got to get a new one before a trip to the Gunks on the weekend, as I've been out of the game so long got rid of my old dropzone.  :(

Looked at the Petzl Alto yesterday, zipper worried me anyone had one and had that break or is it solid?

If you're that side of the pond, surely an Organic is the only answer?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#36 Re: Pads - best carry systems
March 03, 2016, 01:53:08 pm
I've had a Petzl Alto since Oct, the zip hasn't bust yet, but there are signs of wear on the corner.

Nizza

• addict
    • Increasing The Calibre
#37 Re: Pads - best carry systems
March 03, 2016, 02:16:11 pm
Cheers JB, suspect that gets a lot of use too. The fact you can pack stuff into it without losing shit is quite appealing.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 Re: Pads - best carry systems
March 03, 2016, 05:23:11 pm
Yeah they have a lot of good points. I suspect the MKII will be really good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal