UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 507894 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
#1750 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 08:58:50 pm
Britain has been a very significant trading nation for much longer than that.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1751 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 09:00:44 pm
Britain has been a very significant trading nation for much longer than that.
Yep, but when could we say we were top dogs?
It wasn't really in the last century?
We are in a post truth age - Trump/Farage etc.
St t stating the majority voted for this.
Glossing over the fact that 2/3rds didn't.
In this weeks Sharkathon, I did laps on action direct as part of my new post truth training.
If you tell a lie often enough it is believed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:11:08 pm by jfdm »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1752 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 09:16:05 pm
Honestly, I found Action Direct a bit tweaky for laps.
Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#1753 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 09:37:34 pm
Honestly, I found Action Direct a bit tweaky for laps.
Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it's a bit short - and only a couple of tricky moves. I need something a bit more sustained for my post truth work out.

I could dangle a large bucket of sand from the bolt just above the Crux - so I could hang from a mono and punch HARD into the sand/bucket. About 20 reps might work.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1754 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 09:39:23 pm
"no deal is better than a bad deal".

I think my jaw genuinely dropped when I read that...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1755 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 09:59:24 pm
From reading German and French press on May's speech:
Reaction in Germany: Whatever... Reaction in France: What the fuck? Eh... whatever

petejh

• forum hero
#1756 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 10:59:56 pm

You might try looking at yourself and ask what you're trying to gloss over by writing '2/3rds didn't'. You're developing a habit on here of letting disingenuous statements by brexiteers beget your own disingenuous statements.

Of the people who believed the issue was important enough to vote on, the majority voted for leave. Those that didn't vote aren't part of a silent majority to be allocated to the side that lost to bump up the numbers. The universe doesn't work like that despite your protestations.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1757 Re: EU Referendum
January 17, 2017, 11:20:20 pm
Nah Pete's right.
Neither can they be written off as "not bothered", mind you. Plenty didn't feel qualified, I've spoken to a few. Some hoped it would just go away. Some couldn't be bothered, some felt like their little voice wouldn't make a difference.
Some people don't feel clever enough to even try to understand.

Still, the whole "we won, you lost, get over it" thing is utter shit. This will make my life worse, I know plenty of others who feel like they're staring down a gun barrel; wondering what's going to happen to their businesses etc. The only people not worried are those who are sure they won't be affected. Little pigs in brick houses are inclined to forget bricks might not be available to all.

Don't worry though, only a few "speed bumps", nothing to worry about.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1758 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 07:01:33 am
Oops.
Link didn't post.
\_[emoji53]_/

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/10/24/brexit-is-not-the-will-of-the-british-people-it-never-has-been/

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1759 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 07:41:27 am

You might try looking at yourself and ask what you're trying to gloss over by writing '2/3rds didn't'. You're developing a habit on here of letting disingenuous statements by brexiteers beget your own disingenuous statements.

Of the people who believed the issue was important enough to vote on, the majority voted for leave. Those that didn't vote aren't part of a silent majority to be allocated to the side that lost to bump up the numbers. The universe doesn't work like that despite your protestations.
I'm sorry for letting the facts get in the way...
I'm don't need to look at myself, I have a functioning brain.
You seem apposed to anybody who has a view that is different to your own.
37% isn't a majority.
What about all those people who didn't get a chance to vote/weren't entitled to vote.
If we take your no. 51/48 and this had been a football game it would have been called a draw.
Spin it how you want Pete, but I won't agree with you on this.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1760 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 07:56:22 am

Little Britain: Prime Minister Theresa May leads the UK into isolation

chris j

• forum abuser
#1761 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 08:11:06 am

37% isn't a majority.
What about all those people who didn't get a chance to vote/weren't entitled to vote.
If we take your no. 51/48 and this had been a football game it would have been called a draw.

In the Welsh devolution referendum in 1997, 50.3% voted yes, on a 50.2% turn-out. So approximately 74.8% of voters didn't vote for devolution. Yet there they are.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1762 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 08:20:03 am

37% isn't a majority.

In the Welsh devolution referendum in 1997, 50.3% voted yes, on a 50.2% turn-out. So approximately 74.8% of voters didn't vote for devolution. Yet there they are.

And here in lies the lesson of the day.

Democracy sucks.

(I'm, oddly, moderately serious about that. Must be getting seriously old, because I look at some people and cringe when I realise they have the vote.
Mostly people over 65 though...)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1763 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 09:27:16 am
Yes democracy sucks.
The biggest gripe I have is who is sticking up for the views of those that don't want this.
Anyway it's not just me that thinks that the numbers don't add up.
AC Grayling thinks the same way, great minds think alike?
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-theresa-may-speech-why-didnt-she-make-it-in-parliament-ac-grayling-a7532271.html
"It was obvious from the outset that the unnecessary, ill-advised, badly-framed and "advisory only" referendum which the May government treats as if it were binding and as if it had a super-majority in support of it (whereas only a minority of the electorate voted for it), would result in a mess of epic proportions. And May’s speech confirms it."

petejh

• forum hero
#1764 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 09:48:53 am

37% isn't a majority.

Are you also glossing over numbers by 'rounding down' from above .5 of a decimal?
BBC: Leave won by 52% to 48%. The referendum turnout was 71.8%, with more than 30 million people voting.

And if it had been a basketball game, which it wasn't, brexit would have won the NBA championship. Your analogy is meaningless.

I'm not attempting to convince you of anything or change your mind or glory in a result - 90% of my friends voted remain, I don't spend my day trying to change their mind becasue I respect their views. I'm pointing out that what you're writing isn't very sensible.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1765 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 10:32:31 am
I'm not being sensible
I'm not the only one.
Please see my last post regarding AC G
That makes at least another person who has similar views.
Obviously we aren't sensible.
If you are going to be pedantic 51.9/48.1
Don't forget this doesn't include those that didn't/ couldn't vote.
Anyway this was all about sovereignty and borders.
So don't bring American sports into this.
You know what I'm saying.
The vote was too close to make all these fundamental changes.
And that Con party are now in control of what will be lasting changes.
No cross party talk, no sense of unity.
Just peppy talk about being a great trading nation.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1766 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 10:54:55 am
So Pete, and the other brexiteers on here, are you happy with the direction this is going? Is any brexit better than no brexit?

i.munro

• junky
#1767 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 02:11:51 pm
More pertinent, surely is that the current position was that put forward by UKIP at a recent General Election , where, despite massive financial & media support it won exactly one seat IIRC.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1768 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 02:30:46 pm
It's such a Fu#*%$g joke.
Will no-one rid us of this twat?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1769 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 02:32:48 pm
More pertinent, surely is that the current position was that put forward by UKIP at a recent General Election , where, despite massive financial & media support it won exactly one seat IIRC.

Quote from: @jeremycorbyn
All you need to know about the state of the Conservative Party in 2017
Quote from: @Nigel_Farage
I can hardly believe that the PM is now using the phrases and words that I've been mocked for using for years. Real progress.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1770 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 02:51:25 pm

When I heard the plan a thought did flash across my mind for a second. In light of the fact that I now live in the post-2016 new world order where nothing makes sense I dismissed it immediately. However, it might have something in it? I'm not getting my hopes up.

What if May's strategy, knowing that there are 48% of people out there who are unlikely to be happy with the proposals, is to make the plan so unappetising as to legitimise its refusal by the commons or trigger a second referendum? A second referendum in which the vote is whether to accept or reject the specific deal, as opposed to the vague notion that was put to the electorate in June.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1771 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 03:00:19 pm
Mays speech was a gambit, the deal comes at the end of the negotiations.  The Supreme Court will rule next week on whether Parliament get to vote on her initial stance as the basis of triggering Article 50 as she plans to "by the end of March 2017", but it still won't be clear what the rest of the EU will counter with nor what, if anything, will be thrashed out between the UK v's 27 European members who all have to agree.

EDIT : Further musings...

Seems a dangerous game to play being so bullish and is "no deal rather than bad deal" really the get out clause that will be hung to?  No deal suggests one of two things, not leaving the EU or having no trading deal at all in place with the EU.  The former depends on whether the UK can revoke Article 50 after submitting it which will hinge on the forth coming Dublin Court Case which will seek to determine if this is possible.  The later doesn't seem feasible.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:13:40 pm by slackline »

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1772 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 03:16:44 pm
https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics/#create-graph
Just some simple immigration facts.
Net migration 335,000 in the year up to June 2016
Split roughly 50/50 between eu/non eu migrants.
Why just pick on EU citizens.
I thought St t was in charge of the Home office?
Reduce non eu immigration without recourse to all this.
I suppose this doesn't fit with gun boat/Victorian/trading diplomacy narrative.

gme

• forum hero
#1773 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 03:26:07 pm
Despite falling totally on the remain side and preferring that we were staying, i actually think leaving the EU lock stock and barrel including the single market is the right thing to do. Get out completely and then re negotiate our position.

Asking to stay in any part of it will only lead to a messy hotchpotch of half deals and compromises that will neither be good for us or the EU. It will hurt us in short term but i am pretty sure the business and trade side of the whole affair will sort its self out in the end. We want to buy and sell stuff to them as do the German, French etc. to us. I think leaving completely then renegotiating will actually turn this around quicker.

There appears to be as much posturing from the MEPs in europe as there was here prior to this happening but i suggest its a lot of hot air, and probably some more sensible, practical discussions are happening between business leaders as we speak, i know they are in my industry.

I am now more interested in the direction we take relating to leaving the ECHR, what kind of immigration policy we are going to have and whether Scotland departs the UK as i think these points will have a much more lasting effect on the country.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1774 Re: EU Referendum
January 18, 2017, 03:28:19 pm
I thought St t was in charge of the Home office?

What are you referring to when you write 'St t'?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:52:52 pm by slackline »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal