UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 507850 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1650 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 12:50:24 pm
May cares not a jot for Scotland. Subserve or shut up seems to be her approach. I wonder if she'd rather risk the break up of the UK than the anger of her eurosceptics and the "popular noise".

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1651 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 12:52:45 pm
But it's the "will of the people" she's answering to. Honest.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1652 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 01:07:35 pm
For the above reason alone I think it will never happen.

The concise ambiguity in your post Dave leads me to believe you would be an excellent civil servant... ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1653 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 01:15:40 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#1654 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 01:28:42 pm
Brexit
means
Brexit

benno

• menacing presence
#1655 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 02:00:55 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#1656 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 02:49:12 pm
Brexit
means
Brexit
Shirley?

That looked a bit too close to the french flag to me...

erm

• player
#1657 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 02:59:35 pm
Saying a person, group or institution are acting neurotically actually means something. It isn't an insult. Britshitter means nothing and is just an insult.

Surprised I need to explain that.

It's not like calling someone a twat or a cunt is it Slackers.

And google say:

"Insult
verb
ɪnˈsʌlt/
1. speak to or treat with disrespect or scornful abuse.
noun
ˈɪnsʌlt/
a disrespectful or scornfully abusive remark or act.
"

Your usage of neurotic came in a piece which was clearly disrespectful. It was not however, as your other examples are, a profanity.

PS. Sorry, don't have a copy of the OED to hand.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1658 Re: EU Referendum
December 13, 2016, 03:16:57 pm
Brexit
means
Brexit
Shirley?

That looked a bit too close to the french flag to me...

Росси́я!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1659 Re: EU Referendum
December 15, 2016, 07:40:19 pm
Apparently this years Footie Manager is "the" Christmas gift politicos hope to receive in there stocking.
It contains all the different flavours of Brexit.
What planning, Fox and Bozzer have been playing this non-stop.
From today's Guardian.

Football Manager stays ahead of the game
Further laurels for the creators of Football Manager, who are the latest entity in British public life to hint at more sophisticated Brexit thinking than Liam Fox.

In a fascinating interview with the Daily Telegraph, Sports Interactive’s boss Miles Jacobson revealed that next year’s 17th iteration of the game will include three Brexit scenarios and timetables, of which hard Brexit will obviously most affect gameplay. According to Jacobson, the creators “have included every possible outcome in the game, using artificial intelligence and percentage chances to make every game different … If people think the outcome is bleak, this is what I believe will happen.” As he points out: “Preparing for the Brexit aspect of the new game has taken a lot of research, too: a lot of reading, a lot of talking to politicians and people in football.”

This feels confusing. As the victorious Brexiteers have spent much of the past three months telling us all, preparing for Brexit was the job of their Whitehall predecessors. Their failure to do it means that those now in charge of leading the process have to make terrifyingly empty speeches once a week, until some sort of clue is got. For a video game to appear ahead of them on this front is another one for the notional committee on unpatriotic activities, which we can only hope will be convened IRL without delay.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:52:15 pm by jfdm »

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1660 Re: EU Referendum
December 15, 2016, 07:51:14 pm
Britshitter means nothing and is just an insult.
I think you have got the wrong end of the stick.
Brexit, will more than likely most of us worse off.
It's not an insult it's a statement of fact.
Britain will be shitter - Britshit.

Democracy doesn't work for the many just the few....

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#1661 Re: EU Referendum
December 15, 2016, 08:31:54 pm
I'm with petejh.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1662 Re: EU Referendum
December 15, 2016, 09:29:34 pm

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1663 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 07:26:44 am
are we allowed to blame Putin's hackers for the disastrous referendum result?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1664 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 09:16:35 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1665 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 09:18:29 am

"Highly probable"  apparently :-\

dave

#1666 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 09:24:27 am
Worth reading about the amazing trade deals we'll be getting post-brexit.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/12/06/very-quietly-liam-fox-admits-the-brexit-lie

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1667 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 09:36:23 am

I swear there was a big fella in a fur hat, hiding under the desk when I made my cross and a strong smell of borscht. Do you think they could have hacked the pencil? Or, did he switch my paper, with lightning reflexes, as I blinked?

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1668 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 11:43:04 am
Interesting post Dave. The problem is that virtually everyone, me and most (all?) other posters on this forum included, have no substantial technical understanding of the rules and possibilities surrounding trade.

A minority seem to optimistically embrace the Francis Drake image of buccaneering Blighty, free to do whatever it wants - as long as other countries agree of course, because trade is an agreement between two parties who both shape the outcome.

A majority see that point and and whilst recognising the volatility of this new situation will present some successes realise that the other parties will be able shape our future in less positive ways because a) their own interests come first and b) trade deals with us are not such a high priority to them as our Brexit voices would have you believe.

It is grossly naive to imagine that we can successfully be 'pro having our cake and pro eating it'. Add to that the economic drag of the huge length of time these arrangements will take, with the huge investment of government resources they will consume and we are looking at a period of clear economic decline.

I am not now going to get into the two biggest reasons for remaining in the EU, including the economic aspect, namely stability in Europe and the ability to align and discuss action on the environment and climate change.

I wouldn't mind so much hearing people say ' I know the economy will contract and Britain's international role will be diminished, and this perhaps permanently; I just think it is worth it to be outside of the EU for ideological reasons'.

But I haven't heard that yet. And I don't like be taking for a fool.

I have read pjh's contributions with interest. I hope he keeps posting- it is good to be challenged, good to hear another voice, good to not just sit inside an echo chamber.

But I can't help thinking that optimism is horribly misplaced.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1669 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 01:45:08 pm
I'm with petejh.

On what, exactly, everything he says?

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#1670 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 03:08:35 pm
Pretty much; nobody can usefully predict the future and I am of the view that we are moving as well as possible down the right road and will be nicely out of the way when the Euro, as widely predicted by wiser folk than I, hits the fan.

i.munro

• junky
#1671 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 03:23:07 pm
nobody can usefully predict the future..... when the Euro, as widely predicted by wiser folk than I, hits the fan.

As I understand it we were pretty much out of the way of that anyway being outside the Eurozone.
Of course, if things got really bad poliitically then the single-market might collapse which would be very bad as it would put the rest of the EU in exactly the situation that we have just volunteered for.

Durbs

• forum hero
#1672 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 03:32:52 pm
Pretty much; nobody can usefully predict the future and I am of the view that we are moving as well as possible down the right road and will be nicely out of the way when the Euro, as widely predicted by wiser folk than I, hits the fan.

So you believe some experts... ;)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1673 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 03:40:19 pm

So you believe some experts... ;)

;D

But seriously having read most of Mervyn King's End of Alchemy that seems implicit in his analysis unless a lot of fundamental things change that are politically too hard to imagine happening. The economies of the member countries are too far out of step with each other.   

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1674 Re: EU Referendum
December 16, 2016, 05:30:29 pm
The end is nigh, the euro will collapse tomorrow ... the day after tomorrow ... the next day ... pretty soon ... ... the next year ... within five years ... at some point in the future ...  :boohoo:

Seriously, the immediate collapse of the euro is pure fantasy only entertained by forecasters well outside the union. It did not fall with the collapse of Greece (as was widely believed by the same idiots who always predicts the swift demise of the euro) and it will not fall with the coming banking crisis in Italy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal