UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 507866 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1500 EU Referendum
November 03, 2016, 06:37:56 pm
True, I have a Aunt, who reads the Fail religiously and is vocal in her support for Brexit.

Ironically, her only son/child is a lecturer in Barcelona, has lived in France and Spain for 25 years and publicly denounced his dear old Ma.
They haven't spoken since early August.

It makes me giggle...

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1501 Re: EU Referendum
November 03, 2016, 07:02:17 pm
If the Britshitters are unhappy with courts here they could always lodge their appeal with the Euro Courts! ;D

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1502 Re: EU Referendum
November 03, 2016, 09:52:58 pm
Pointless exercise. Turkeys don't vote for christmas.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1503 Re: EU Referendum
November 03, 2016, 10:16:47 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1504 Re: EU Referendum
November 04, 2016, 10:43:44 am

tomtom

• forum hero
#1505 Re: EU Referendum
November 04, 2016, 11:43:42 am
Pointless exercise. Turkeys don't vote for christmas.

no - in this case they voted for Bernard Matthews :D

SamT

• forum hero
#1506 Re: EU Referendum
November 04, 2016, 08:37:10 pm
You've probably all seen this but it's worth linking... genius... :punk:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1507 Re: EU Referendum
November 04, 2016, 10:31:02 pm

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1508 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 12:10:23 pm
Loving this one:

From the BBC report today.

"Today's report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies reveals the difficulties ahead.
It suggests that given the slowdown predicted in the economy the chancellor will be dealing with a public finances outlook £25bn worse than predicted in the Budget last March.
With no changes in policy - and that's a major assumption given that Mr Hammond is (a) a new chancellor and (b) has already spoken of a "fiscal reset" - the IFS says tax revenues will be £31bn lower.
That will be partially offset, the IFS says, by the £6bn the government may regain by ending its contributions to the EU budget."

Potentially lose £31bn to save £6bn.

Except of course, for at least the next two years, we still have to pay the £6bn...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1509 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 02:43:44 pm
At the risk of being accused of being biased for linking to an article....

Scottish government seeks to intervene in Brexit case

tomtom

• forum hero
#1510 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 04:28:36 pm
Fuck that.

THEY'VE MADE TOBLERONES 6% SMALLER.

AND CHANGED THE SHAPE

JEYSUS FUCKETY FUCK FUCK
We're all doomed. And I've run out of tricks to make the text EVEN MORE ANGRY

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#1511 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 04:37:15 pm
Fuck that.

AND CHANGED THE SHAPE

JEYSUS FUCKETY FUCK FUCK
I don't know how Mondelez are expecting us to eat them with that shape... Gone are the days where you have a triangle each  :wavecry:

tomtom

• forum hero
#1512 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 04:46:12 pm
I bet brexiteers only eat Yorkies anyway..

(despite them being owned by the Swiss... shhhh)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1513 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 04:53:08 pm
Fuck that.

AND CHANGED THE SHAPE

JEYSUS FUCKETY FUCK FUCK

Tom forget the Tobler, Brexit means Brexit, means getting one or two fewer fish fingers in a pack but still shelling out the same money, horrific news. :boohoo:
If goods are going up between 10-20% top end climbing shoes will approach nearly £150 :o
If things pick up in the future will things go back to normal?
The whole things a mess..

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1514 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 05:10:57 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#1515 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 05:17:49 pm
Fuck that.

AND CHANGED THE SHAPE

JEYSUS FUCKETY FUCK FUCK

Tom forget the Tobler, Brexit means Brexit, means getting one or two fewer fish fingers in a pack but still shelling out the same money, horrific news. :boohoo:
If goods are going up between 10-20% top end climbing shoes will approach nearly £150 :o
If things pick up in the future will things go back to normal?
The whole things a mess..

Damn fucking right. Our cellar is rapidly filling up with cases of toblerones and boxes of Scarpa's I'm stashing...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1516 Re: EU Referendum
November 08, 2016, 10:50:56 pm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html
Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.
However unlikely something like this is to happen as the individual couldn't offer much reciprocal benefit to the EU, if it did whats the disadvantage to a Brexiteer? They wouldn't have to sign up. She just wants everyone to suffer together.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1517 Re: EU Referendum
November 15, 2016, 07:18:57 pm
I know we're not supposed to listen to experts anymore but....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-15/hammond-to-borrow-extra-125-billion-as-growth-slows-pwc-says

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1518 Re: EU Referendum
November 15, 2016, 08:31:06 pm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html
Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.
However unlikely something like this is to happen as the individual couldn't offer much reciprocal benefit to the EU, if it did whats the disadvantage to a Brexiteer? They wouldn't have to sign up. She just wants everyone to suffer together.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said.

This is a time for 17 million people to forcibly divide 64m from 450m, how dare they impose a choice on people who may want it..... added Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign
“Discriminating against people based on their political views shows there are no depths the EU will not sink to.
she spluttered before leaving, her exasperation dangling as painfully as her prepositions (etc etc)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1519 Re: EU Referendum
November 15, 2016, 10:24:23 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/15/supreme-court-judges-views-on-article-50-legislation-anger-leave-campaigners
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/15/whitehall-struggling-to-cope-with-scale-of-work-arising-from-brexit-vote
Things still going well this week for Britshitters.
My maths might be a bit out but if 30,000 new civil servants are needed I would have thought going rate would be £40,000 each.
That works out at 1.2e9 on my calc or £1,200,000,000?
So peanuts really.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1520 Re: EU Referendum
November 16, 2016, 10:12:49 am
And with our overlords being addicted to austerity like a city trader is addicted to coke....I can only see that coming from "necessary cuts" elsewhere. Braw!

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#1521 Re: EU Referendum
November 16, 2016, 08:02:16 pm
Please step forward Mikey "rude boy" Gove, from Guardian report.

Michael Gove, the former cabinet minister and leading Brexit campaigner, pressed for the UK to achieve a “quickie divorce” with the EU regardless of the economic consequences, as he raised concerns that civil servants were overcomplicating the process.

The former justice secretary, who led the Vote Leave campaign with Johnson, questioned why the UK could not just leave the EU without having settled its future relationship with the bloc after having sorted out “housekeeping” related to outstanding payments.

“Can we simplify?” Gove said. “What if I were to determine to simply leave the European Union, to trigger article 50 and to conclude the bare minimum in order to leave? What would article 50 actually require me to agree?

“For the purposes of this question, I am not worried about transitional arrangements, I am prepared to take the economic hit or to secure the economic benefits of not being inside the single market and being outside the customs union. I simply want the divorce on the quickest possible terms. What do I need in that quickie divorce?”

What a nob and simpleton.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#1522 Re: EU Referendum
November 17, 2016, 02:43:16 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/15/supreme-court-judges-views-on-article-50-legislation-anger-leave-campaigners
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/15/whitehall-struggling-to-cope-with-scale-of-work-arising-from-brexit-vote
Things still going well this week for Britshitters.
My maths might be a bit out but if 30,000 new civil servants are needed I would have thought going rate would be £40,000 each.
That works out at 1.2e9 on my calc or £1,200,000,000?
So peanuts really.

Good job they are shedding jobs left, right and centre and loosing experienced Civil Servants at a rate of knots. Oh, hold on a moment, over 200 Policy jobs just gone in Sheffield  :furious:

seankenny

• forum hero
#1523 Re: EU Referendum
November 17, 2016, 06:23:03 pm
Didn't the whole civil service capacity thing come up on this thread before the Referendum? I do believe that the Leavers derrided such fears and suggested that the Whitehall could just, well, roll with it.

I suspect anyone with a good idea of how to make that rolling happen could be is selling such expertise for a lip-smacking daily rate.

Or to put it another way you're suggesting the civil service would remain doing things in the same way it did when we were part of the EU, if the country left the EU. That would be more than a bit silly wouldn't it? I'm no head of civil service but here's an idea - change with the demands of the situation.

It might take us a while to train staff in trade negotiation and would likely be more effective to recruit internationally to acclerate this type of work. Not something that has been addressed by leave, how we fill skills gaps at short notice that is (remember big F is going for 30,000-50,000 migrants a year, so drop of an order of magnatude).

Of course if the UK is suddenly renegotiating trade deals with everyone then the foreign trade negotiators might be a bit busy working for their own countries? After all, we're the 5th biggest economy you know and all the countries will want to do a deal with us (except the US, who has handily told us so). But these trade negotiators are probably career civil servants who wouldn't want to lose their cushty pensions for a short term contract with perfidious Albion, and who knows if they speak good enough English to draft highly complex technical documents. Sure, we could probably hire some British lawyers to do the job but they will all be salivating at the prospect of rewriting the oodles of UK law which would need to be untangled from EU law should we leave, and are we willing to pay loads of new unelected officials public servants the 100k+ a year needed to tempt them away from the private sector.

As if thinking about a massive increase in capacity in one of the more technical aspects of running the country doesn't throw up some obvious and rather difficult to solve problems, there's the obvious irony of getting in some immigrants to help us reduce our reliance on immigration. It would be funny, if it wasn't so serious.

As for the smart Leavers, who are like rich folks staying in trailers in a rain-soaked Festival of Dumb and trying not to get their chinos muddy, do you really trust your leaders to steer you through the course ahead? Boris, with his well known inability to grasp of detail. IDS, whose attempt to reform the benefits system reached about 150,000 people after six years of effort. Gove, with his flagship policy of creating new schools in areas that didn't need them, the radical destroyer whose own boss described him as "a bit of a Maoist". Steve "blue sky thinking" Hilton who wanted to close jobcentres, abolish maternity leave and alter the weather. Government by TED talk isn't my idea of fun. And, erm, Priti Patel and Penny Mordaunt.

You might want to divorce the principle from the personnel, but you can't. These are the people we'll have running the most complex and intricate challenge the government has faced in decades. Feeling lucky?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1524 Re: EU Referendum
November 17, 2016, 07:04:35 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal