UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 507865 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1300 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 08:05:06 am
Why anyone believes all that red tape surrounding climbing equipment I don't know. Those experts - what do they know - that old tow rope has been doing me fine for years. I always make sure its stored in bright sunlight too - looks nice on the window sill. I mean - why do people pay all that money for that fancy ironmongery they tap into the rock. I've always found self tappers from B&Q (or even better Lidl) do the job just fine.

(A strong dig at the 'Gove Defence' and a playful tickle in Dense' direction.. :) )

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1301 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 08:26:16 am
Well, in terms of potential new Tory PM's (something id rather not have at all..) I think it's a good result.
This is true, given the field.
However:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1302 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 09:23:32 am
or from fatboy's faceache:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1303 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 09:33:03 am
There "May" be hours of mirth to be had in these dark hours...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1304 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 09:42:12 am
Actually, I'm being facetious. Time for a more mature approach.

So...

I'm have decided, in the new spirit of Patriotism that has swept the country; to hang a portrait of our new Prime minister behind the desk at work.

After much deliberation, I have decided this is my favourite and it captures my true depth of feeling for this glorious and noble leader.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1305 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 09:52:01 am
I think its rather low-brow and uncivilised to take digs at people based on their appearances.  Politics is not a beauty pageant.

There are plenty of more valid reasons to criticise people based on their track record in politics.  For example...

When you cross-reference Theresa May's speech with her voting record, it's as if she didn't mean anything she said

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1306 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 10:00:13 am
I think its rather low-brow and uncivilised to take digs at people based on their appearances.  Politics is not a beauty pageant.
Isn't it a bit early in the morning for the fun police to be on patrol?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1307 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 10:10:45 am
Maybe, but I've been in work for three hours today and there is the shit, isn't that thread for such fun (just as there is the Tedious politics thread which is exactly what the discussion of party leadership amounts to).

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1308 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 10:27:24 am
Eh? Was that all aimed at me? The Gove approach? Fuck off. I'm pointing out that for most people's tedious views and arguments on here there's always another point of view.

petejh

• forum hero
#1309 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 10:49:58 am
*Post may contain some data that conflicts with the views of UKB's serial neurotics (and some that supports them).*

(from guardian business live)
''Although still off 23/6 close, difficult to currently use FTSE250 as stick to beat on Brexit. Back in pre-poll range'' (@JonesTheMarkets)''
''@JonesTheMarkets But that's just because traders expect loose monetary policy to offset #brexit effects, not due to sound fundamentals''
''@gweirydd don't disagree with you. I just feel some of the FTSE250 doom and gloom overdone on here recently. Let's see what £ does on Thurs.''

US stock market hits new record high

And finally tonight.... America’s stock market has hit a new alltime high, as global markets continue their relief rally.

The S&P 500 index closed 7 points higher, or 0.33%, at 2,136.95 points. That narrowly breaches the previous high set in May 2015.

Jim Paulsen, chief investment strategist at Wells Capital Management, reckons that traders are feeling more optimistic about the global economy (after last Friday’s decent US employment report).

Paulsen says:

You have Brexit and global stagnation, but underneath that we keep getting really good economic numbers and that is forcing the (stock) market to new highs.”

The tantalising scent of fresh stimulus packages in Britain and Japan soon also worked its usual magic, of course.

So, record highs on Wall Street. The London stock market back in bull market territory (thanks to the weak pound) and even Europe shaking off its Brexit fears.

Not a bad day, but also not a reason to think the Brexit crisis is over:o   :'(

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1310 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 11:19:41 am
I'll be a bit more interested in the markets once the exchange rates show signs of recovery.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1311 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 11:20:33 am
Maybe, but I've been in work for three hours today and there is the shit, isn't that thread for such fun (just as there is the Tedious politics thread which is exactly what the discussion of party leadership amounts to).

Is this what ails ye?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jul/12/uk-scientists-dropped-from-eu-projects-because-of-post-brexit-funding-fears?CMP=share_btn_fb

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1312 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 11:22:31 am
So, not a huge hit....but wait....was that not with huge stimulus packages? 

Where, exactly, does that money come from?

£120 bn of stimulus....or equivalent to 6.6 years of the fictitious 350m per week we waste on the EU. Imagine the country just decided to inject that money in, oh, say, schools, NHS, much needed infrastructure?

Except, QE really mainly goes directly into the stock market, where investors (i.e. the wealthy ) reap all the gains.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1313 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 11:36:15 am
Is this what ails ye?

No, I just don't think there is any value to cheap shots about peoples appearances.

Eh? Was that all aimed at me? The Gove approach? Fuck off. I'm pointing out that for most people's tedious views and arguments on here there's always another point of view.

Except what you wrote was out that 'another big lawyer' would come up with very similar points of view.

Try ditching the tedious sarcasm and use a little eloquence to actually express an alternative point of view.  Others might then understand whatever point you are trying to make.

petejh

• forum hero
#1314 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 12:15:50 pm

Except, QE really mainly goes directly into the stock market, where investors (i.e. the wealthy ) reap all the gains.

This is classic ukb thread material.

When the stock market is dropping due to the 'bad thing du jour' the narrative on here is all about the hit to everyday people's hard-earned pensions and savings.  :ang:  You can find these sorts of remarks all over UKB's shooting the shit threads.

When the stock market is bullish it mysteriously morphs into the exclusive domain of 'the wealthy:devil-smiley: - much easier to attack that straw man isn't it.

My investments in the UK markets are up 13% since brexit. I'm not 'the wealthy'. I don't even own my own car or house.
My investments in US/Canadian markets are sky-rocketing.

I hear your point about QE however; but don't know enough about the big picture to put this in proper context, as I doubt you do.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1315 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 12:18:14 pm
The EU science / research funding will hit my occupation quite hard. Grant proposals are HIGHLY risk adverse - so any potential weaknesses (now it appears those from the UK) are weeded out. I completely understand as if it were the other way around id be the same... But still stinks!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1316 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 12:35:17 pm

Due to the massive losses in the pounds value? Lucky you. I hope the country as a whole will benefit likewise, but I doubt it.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1317 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 01:00:01 pm

Your investments, are arguably 'worth' the same... the increase is because the pound has dropped (sky plummeted to use your terminology).

petejh

• forum hero
#1318 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 01:01:52 pm

Due to the massive losses in the pounds value? Lucky you. I hope the country as a whole will benefit likewise, but I doubt it.

No. Due to the US market doing very well independent of the value of sterling - although that also helped.

Offwidth - Hehe, oh really? You seem to know more about my investments than I do. Care to name them?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1319 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 01:09:37 pm
Come on pete, you quoted the % increase and the % devaluation of the pound vs the dollar is public.

petejh

• forum hero
#1320 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 01:41:48 pm
Try reading my post again without the blinkers on.
I quoted the percentage increase of my UK investments (13%), not my foreign investments - they've done very well ('skyrocketed') independently of the exchange rate 'boost' since 23rd June (currently a 10%ish benefit from 4pm 23rd June to today).

Could it be there's still value out there in the real world?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1321 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 02:10:47 pm
Who anywhere denied a post brexit future? The 'doommongers' were predicting a drop in growth, particular share types and sterling; and the size of any drop being dependant in the type of brexit we select. Much of the UK stockmarket is based on assets abroad so most area growth since the vote is almost certainly just factoring in that change in value. You can show us in your case its not but that would be you being lucky rather than any indication of general trends. FTSE 250 is said to be the best indicator of UK based stocks is still down (even as valued in pounds). FTSE 100 is up but only about half as much as the drop in the pound.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1322 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 02:31:11 pm
£120billion being pumped into the Economy by BoE
Most economists still saying Brexit will be a drag on growth
£ down 10% against major currencies
FTSE 250 down

I'm failing to see where the upside of Brexit it is and if you say it's early days I'd agree but the signs are all pointing one way.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1323 Re: EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 02:38:16 pm
I'm failing to see where the upside of Brexit it is and if you say it's early days I'd agree but the signs are all pointing one way.

That's possibly because you don't have shares overseas.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#1324 EU Referendum
July 12, 2016, 02:50:42 pm
It's interesting that drops in the markets are described as "blips" and "only to be expected" and yet rises are greeted with "see, this proves it was a good idea".

Or, to be clear, these things work both ways; but the upshot is that the markets are volatile and could go either way at any given moment. None of which relates to long term prospects, which is where the bulk of doom was prophesied.

And, isn't saying "Whoopie! Central bank Stimulus! That'll be great!" A bit like a cardiac arrest victim saying "Whoopie! A Defibrillator! I'll be much livelier after that!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:56:52 pm by Oldmanmatt »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal