UKBouldering.com

Bouldering in the Peak - by train and bus (Read 6890 times)

boxmonkey

• regular
Bouldering in the Peak - by train and bus
February 21, 2016, 07:56:00 am
Anyone have any good suggestions for bouldering in the peak that's easily accessible by train or bus?

I have a business trip coming up and I reckon I can sneak off for the day but won't have the car with me.

deacon

• addict
Are you coming from Sheffield or Manchester (or somewhere else).
If Sheffield:
Bus to the Fox house then ten minute walk to Burbage South, 45 Minute walk to Burbage North, 45 minute Walk to Higgar Tor.

Bus to Hillsborough, then another bus to Rivelin.

Train to Grindleford (about 3 minutes from Moffatrocity) then 40 minute walk to Froggatt or 30 minute walk to Lawrencefield (not much cop for bouldering at Lawrencefield though).

If you're getting the bus back the buses are often late, delayed as they've come from further afield but if you've got a pad on your back just start walking back to Sheffield with your thumb out. It never fails.

If it's just a one off visit bus to fox house and walk to Burbage South is straightforward though and easy to find.
I don't know the bus numbers off the top of my head but can find them out easily if you need them.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:10:22 am by deacon »

ferret

• forum abuser
been many moons since I took a bus, but from Sheff the sketch was 240, 65 and 272 all took you to fox house, 272 would also get you to surprise view (mother cap, mothers pet, secret garden). There was also a bus that would take you to gardoms from abbeydale road (can't remember the number) Hitching back from fox house or burbage north was always pretty straight forward.

a dense loner

• forum hero
I've got a lift back once in 25 years

tomtom

• forum hero

I've got a lift back once in 25 years

But there's a limited number of people prepared to pick up someone with a bouldering mat wearing a nipple-less vest and chaps...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I've hitched from Hathersage before and on the occassion a Land Rover, every inch of it covered in climbing related stickers, screeched to a halt beside me the very instant I lifted my thumb.

Maybe try taking the hockey mask off, Dense.

boxmonkey

• regular
Thanks guys. I'll be travelling by train to Sheffield and be working in Sheffield during the day.

Been doing a little Googling and looked at my Eastern Grit guidebook. It definitely looks, as people suggest, Burbage South with walk in from Grindleford station the most straightforward.

Looking at the OS map it looks like you could walk the length of Burbage and climb back via Higgin Tor and Milstone Edge. Would anyone recommend bouldering at Higgin Tor and Milstone or is it worth sticking to Burbage.

Thanks again, great advice.

tomtom

• forum hero
All depends on the forecast - where the wind is from, whether its wet or drying etc...

If you post up what day (presumably when you know) someone on here might give you a lift...

Simon W

• menacing presence
218 bus is another option. Drops you right by Gardoms north. Baslow, Birchen and Curbar all walkable from there too. Train to Hathersage and walk up to Stanage is a slog but doable.

boxmonkey

• regular
Definitely. Once I have a date, sometime in May or July, I'll post a comment.

Once I've completed the trip I'll also let people know what I did. Might be helpful for others.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
For limestone the bus to Buxton stops at Stoney and Raven Tor (Millers Dale, Anglers Rest stop)

www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/sheffield/533.htm

Chances are you would be able to cadge a lift back from the tor.

tc

• junky
51 bus to Lodge Moor and walk over the back to Stanage. Old school.

tomtom

• forum hero

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
if it's summer, there might be a Stanage bus service running - a quick think tells me that this hasn't happened in recent years

best bet is to ask on here as Tomtom said - there's a good chance one of us will be heading out

I went through a phase of leaving a sign in my van window saying that I could offer a lift back to Sheff - along with my mobile number. Turns out that people without cars don't wander around the car parking where they might see such a notice.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I've hitched it a few times when I was visiting mates in Sheffield - all I did was go to Hunter's Bar roundabout and stick my thumb out while holding up a copy of the bouldering guide. Got a ride to my crag of choice (which, to be fair, was only Stanage Plantation) after less than 10 mins of waiting.

boxmonkey

• regular
 Brief update in case it helps anyone else browsing the forum at a later date.

I took the train to grindleford and then walked up to Burbage south. Circled round and came back via the boulder field. Stopped at the pub (fox house) then walked back to the station and then back into Sheffield. Train ticket cost about £7 return.

Thanks for the advice. Planning to do the same again in a few weeks time.

Willy

If you get the bus (272 bus station across the road from the train station) It will drop you off at fox house. Return is probably like £4.50 and you save walking about 4 miles or whatever.

boxmonkey

• regular
Cheers, think I'll do that next week. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain.

psychomansam

• forum hero
If you get the bus (272 bus station across the road from the train station) It will drop you off at fox house. Return is probably like £4.50 and you save walking about 4 miles or whatever.

I tried doing this once but never made it on to the return bus. Sat at the Fox House stop with a pad for 2 mins, car pulls over and tells me to jump in. There was a mat in the car and no visible latex clothing, so in I hopped. Sheffield really is the place for this shiz.

boxmonkey

• regular
Walked from Hathersage train station to the plantation on Thursday. That worked pretty well. Can't say I'd like to do the walk too regularly though. It was quite a trek. Scenic though. Stashed a load of stuff in the lockers at the bus station too. Handy.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
I frequently get the 272 or the 65 to Fox house (only a quid for students!). The stop after fox house on the 272 is directly opposite the end of the main track through the valley which saves a couple of minutes walking. If you stay on the 272 a bit longer it stops at Surprise view which is ideal for Lawrencefield and Millstone. There is a two hour gap with no return buses on week nights but just stick your thumb out and usually get picked up in a couple of minutes.

Walked from Hathersage train station to the plantation on Thursday. That worked pretty well. Can't say I'd like to do the walk too regularly though. It was quite a trek. Scenic though. Stashed a load of stuff in the lockers at the bus station too. Handy.

I used to get the train from Manchester to Hathersage and walk to stanage. I think out of ten times I only had to walk the full way once, usually got a lift before getting out of Hathersage. Including one guy running out of his house to offer me a lift! Thought he was a bit too keen at first but turned out to just be decent guy.

Does anyone know which bus stops at the burbage bridge stop or is it redundant? Google has not helped..

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
I frequently get the 272 or the 65 to Fox house (only a quid for students!). The stop after fox house on the 272 is directly opposite the end of the main track through the valley which saves a couple of minutes walking. If you stay on the 272 a bit longer it stops at Surprise view which is ideal for Lawrencefield and Millstone. There is a two hour gap with no return buses on week nights but just stick your thumb out and usually get picked up in a couple of minutes.

I used to get the train from Manchester to Hathersage and walk to stanage. I think out of ten times I only had to walk the full way once, usually got a lift before getting out of Hathersage. Including one guy running out of his house to offer me a lift! Thought he was a bit too keen at first but turned out to just be decent guy.

Does anyone know which bus stops at the burbage bridge stop or is it redundant? Google has not helped..
There was a stanage bus that ran in the summer but it doesn't run anymore. Got that a few times when I was a student always seemed popular with old people. Shame it doesn't run now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal