UKBouldering.com

multiple family skiing/boarding holiday knowledge (Read 9048 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Following a big night out with my wife's best mates and their partners, I have been tasked with researching options for a skiing holiday next year (Feb half term)

I have already explained my thoughts about Easter being less cold for little kids

main criteria is for kids who have never skied before to have a good time - ages will be from 5 to 16

3 or 4 families, 12 to 16ish people

secondary requirement is for adults to be able to get out while kids are at ski school or being looked after by whichever of us wants a rest

I will be the only person bothered about steep off piste stuff (on a board), but to be honest am quite happy to waste my time learning to ski properly if that's what conditions and terrain dictate - the other adults just want a bit of piste cruising and drinking

I have no experience of chalet holidays - or family snow holidays

for me, easy/short travel to the slopes would be important - it'd be nice to be able to pop home at any point in the day

we'd happily cook for ourselves, but would consider catered chalets depending on cost

so, what do people do in similar circumstances? package holiday? chalet company? separate flight arrangements or package deal?

cheers

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I've never had a problem with kids being cold skiing in February, although admittedly that's Bavarian kids so accustomed to proper winters.

Otoh I have faced a mutiny on the Stubai glacier in March; we were up there because there wasn't much snow anywhere else, but it was still too cold for them. Even bought a couple of those neoprene masks, which we've never used since.

Zillertal might be worth a look. Mayrhofen is party central & not really family oriented, but further up the valley (Tuxertal/Lanersbach) is more gemütlich and had easier pistes for kids/beginners. There's lots of really good near-piste stuff that is fun on a board and not *too* hairy to do alone. And you have the Hintertux glacier as a snow-sure option if you do go for Easter. Shouldn't need it in February, but it's a lot more interesting terrain than most glacier resorts so worth a visit anyway if it's not too cold.

I have no idea about organising logistics from the uk, obvsly.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
thanks Muenchener - great to hear some suggestions about stuff that I know nothing about  :2thumbsup:

I'll get searching

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
I think Sheffield is out of sync with the rest of the country again next year so Half-term prices are fairly reasonable.

Depending on the age of the kids, Austria might be worth your consideration as they do free lift passes for under 8s.  Plus the lessons ours had this year were 10-3 including lunch with the guide on the mountain allowing a decent window for adult skiing.  Don't recall that option being available in France.

If you go with Esprit they take kids to and from lessons and even get them dressed beforehand leaving you free to be out from 8:30 - 6.  Which is nice.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Depending on the age of the kids, Austria might be worth your consideration as they do free lift passes for under 8s.  Plus the lessons ours had this year were 10-3 including lunch with the guide on the mountain allowing a decent window for adult skiing. 

True, and by the time he was six my lad was insisting on warm up runs before school started, and crying when the after school runs had to finish because the lifts were closed.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Just got back from a week in Austria (Gastein valley). We went shef half term and it was quieter than this week (cheap hotels on the journey home were fully booked with folk driving out for this week, both UK and it seems Austrians as I think it is now their holiday?)

No real resort suggestions (May now well above beginner level so we look for places without any easy runs to keep it free from all the British families) but from having done various multiple family ski holidays I would say:

Somewhere quiet is great - nothing worse than skiing with kids/beginners and the runs being crowded - stressful for all involved plus lift queues are shit. We have found smaller resorts tend to be quieter.

May never did ski school however we went to Sol (Austria) a few years ago with a group of families and the ski school there was great - English instructors which the kids loved + they had a 'private' kids lunch room with cheap food and TV on showing cartoons etc - the ski school took them for a 1.5-2 hour lunch so they got warm/rested and were keen to ski again in the afternoon (either in lessons or with family) + it gave you a looong morning to ski on your own even if you took them in the afternoon.

I have always enjoyed skiing with May even when she first started, if you go with the idea of having a massive ski/board holiday you might be disappointed, if you go with the idea of having a great time skiing/in the mountains with your kids and any fresh tracks/hard skiing is a bonus you should have a great time. I was glad we spent so much time skiing with May to begin with, I really enjoyed being out with her and helping her learn/progress (a packet of Haribo also helps keep kids moral up)

Warm clothes: Feb half term should be fine as long as you get the kids some decent clothes - if they are warm they are happy and you all have a good time. Cold = shit time. I always ski with a bag anyhow (avalanche gear etc) and make sure I carry spare clothes/gloves for May. She wears a balaclava pretty much all the time and we also have those neoprene face masks (wore them a bunch in Utah but she also wore hers a little this last week)

If you go out with the kids the little clips which hold the tips of the skis together (ski tip connectors) really help them get going.

Look for a resort with some nice blues rather than just tracks. We had a great cheap week in Andorra where the blue runs were really nice, it also snowed a bunch and it felt like we were the only people who went off piste so got loads of fresh tracks...

We have done catered chalets (great when you have it booked out, no stress with kids being noisy etc and with 16 or so it could be pretty cheap if you book whole chalet). Very sociable for adults. If there are other people staying it can be an issue keeping any less well behaved kids quiet and not pissing them off. The chalet normally do a separate early meal for the younger kids so you can get them in bed before adult meal.

You can often find pretty cheap 'hotel' deals where you get breakfast and an evening meal included. Often lower quality than chalet but also cheaper. Often more flexibility with eating times and food choices (they tend to have a more buffet type evening meal) although there would prob not be a separate kids meal time/menu. Bit harder to be as sociable in evening...

Self catering : we do plenty of this but can be harder work in big group.

Done a couple of package holidays - easy to arrange, often deals for kids esp out of normal holidays (there can be offers where they 'pay the school fine' for outside normal school holidays essentially giving you some extra money off. Think we have used Crystal and Neilson. Nothing fancy but look on the websites and see what deals.

Done a lot more trips where we have organised it all on own - more flexible about venues, often cheaper but my wife enjoys arranging it all so she does all the work, if things go a bit wrong you have to sort yourself out. Can put a bit of pressure on the person who arranges it...

First few times we always tried to stay v. close to skiing (so we could pop back to apartment/chalet) but we found we hardly did this so have ended up staying a short bus away nowadays just as it is so much cheaper. We are pretty organised in the mornings but if people struggle it can be a rush to get to lessons on time if a bus/walk is involved.

Not really got any resort suggestions as my memory shit at remembering places, sure plenty of others will have ideas.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Somewhere quiet is great - nothing worse than skiing with kids/beginners and the runs being crowded - stressful for all involved plus lift queues are shit. We have found smaller resorts tend to be quieter.

Look for a resort with some nice blues rather than just tracks.

Two very good points. I'm only really familiar with Austria, where the following places pretty much tick the boxes:

Ellmau-Scheffau-Brixen. Large area with lots of good easy runs, but relatively low altitude so snow connies not that reliable.

St Johann in Tirol: similar.

Flachau/Wagrain might be a good bet.

Lanersbach (Zillertal ) as already mentioned

Sölden meets the "nice blues" criterion but is otherwise probably not very suitable: big, busy, expensive party resort

Warth/Schröcken is very reliable for snow and looks suitable from the piste map, but I personally haven’t been there.

Glacier resorts, e.g.Stubai, Hintertux, tend to be good from the point of view of easy runs and impressive scenery, but too cold in February.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
I've done a few trips now with friends who have young kids, both at half term and at new year. Kia have been from about 3 to 6 when we started going away as a group, now 5 to about 8. We've always found self catering chalets have worked best, especially where you're close to the slopes as can get back to the place for easier lunches with the kids than trying to feed them on the mountain.

Did two years in a row at a resort called Le Grand Bornand in France which ticked all the boxes, near to Geneva for transfers, mix of terrain for kids to learn on and some nice mixed steep stuff (though limited) for us to go at. Got a chalet in Chinaillon which was ideal.

We're in Samoens as we speak and whilst it's good for kids it's a bit busy with lessons and lots of spots where everyone has to funnel through a few narrow spots so not ideal.

The best way to look at it is that you're out in the mountains anyway so it's all great and learning to ski is great to get a different perspective of the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

Look for a resort with some nice blues rather than just tracks.

Warth/Schröcken is very reliable for snow and looks suitable from the piste map, but I personally haven’t been there.
Warth is a great spot, linked to Lech and Zurs and great slopes and off piste with limited crowds too. Super grooming as well and heated and covered seats to boot. But Lech is super expensive.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

If you go out with the kids the little clips which hold the tips of the skis together (ski tip connectors) really help them get going.

Often called edgie wedgies.

You plan flying or driving? makes a big difference to prices and options.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
thanks for the replies people  :2thumbsup:

not sure I could face the drive

driving to Font is pretty much the limit of how long I want to be in a car

Warth looks like a nice place, but I haven't identified a UK package operator yet (not a big problem to be honest)

several other families have also expressed an interest - I'm going to phone a couple of companies and see what they have for bigger groups

go with the idea of having a great time skiing/in the mountains with your kids and any fresh tracks/hard skiing is a bonus you should have a great time. I was glad we spent so much time skiing with May to begin with, I really enjoyed being out with her and helping her learn/progress (a packet of Haribo also helps keep kids moral up)

this is what I am aiming for - Haribo sounds like a good idea

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Warth looks like a nice place, but I haven't identified a UK package operator yet (not a big problem to be honest)

There's a south facing sunny crag bang opposite the ski resort too. I haven't been, but my mate was there in December and said it was great.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
a south facing crag WITH A BARBECUE AREA and within walking distance of a decent butcher  :2thumbsup:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Went to Austria a couple of weeks ago - rather than stick to one place we hired a minibus using Landeck as our base. Could work as a family/mixed style trip. Had local knowledge so generally tried to avoid the crowds. Visited the following:

- Venet: small area (5 lifts) with some pleasant reds and great off-piste tree runs though you couldn't do that on your own. Quiet, no queues.
- See: 7 lifts, quiet, minimal queues. Mainly reds but some nice big wide blues, plenty of untracked near the pistes.
- Kappl: another smallish area (6 lifts), mainly reds but some nice blues/blacks and again plenty of untracked near the pistes but avalanche danger prevented us from exploring this. Again, quiet, minimal queues.
- St Anton: went here when there was terrible visibility but had a great day all the same. Busy, major resort.
- Serfaus: Big area, slightly odd lift system and bizarre tube from the car parks but we got fresh tracks all day 3 days after snow. Good family resort apparantly.

Not been boarding in Austria since a trip to Obergurgl years ago and found it generally really friendly and laid-back, with good food, etc. We were there whilst Fasching was on which was nuts; basically schnapps fuelled fancy-dress madness.

SA Chris

• forum hero
As far as unknown gems in the French Alps goes,I've always been interested in Les Sybelles, but never met anyone who has actually been. Not sure any UK operators go there either

http://www.sybelles.com/uk/index-winter.aspx

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
(a packet of Haribo also helps keep kids moral up)

this is what I am aiming for - Haribo sounds like a good idea

One of the places we were at last week was sponsored by Haribo and there was some guy launching multiple packs off the chair down onto the piste.  :2thumbsup:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Where? I'm planning to head out with my son for a day on Saturday.

SA Chris

• forum hero
There's been a new trail cut at Les Gets called Arnica, the icy moguls at the top made the name seem apt.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
As far as unknown gems in the French Alps goes,I've always been interested in Les Sybelles, but never met anyone who has actually been. Not sure any UK operators go there either

Back in the day CLM of this parish did a season in Le Corbier and I stayed with him for a week. Le Corbier it's self is pretty small. Purpose build resort and great if your a fan of Le Corbusier and brutalish architecture. Its kinda of cool in a 1960/70s way, all the buildings are linked underground with a sort of shopping mal with restaurants, bars etc. Probably changed since we were there. Looks to be more linked that when we were there. Think we headed up to La Toussuire  :lol: once or twice. Again looks to be much bigger now. The other thing you can easily do from there is head 45min down into valley to Turin, park and get the amazing bubble that takes you from Orelle into the back of Val T. You get in at 880m in about 25 degree heat when we were there, feeling like a dick in all your ski gear, then get out 5km later at 3240m at about -10degrees! Brilliant day out and a great option if the snow is dodgy lower down. Reportedly the longest in the world.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Luz Ardiden, French Pyrenees. We were based in Cauterets for a week and spent three days there, two at Luz and one at Tourmalet/Barèges. Not yet linked but on the same card www.n-py.com. (There is a plan to link Cauterets to Luz in the next few years)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Looks cool in a cheesy way. Didn't realise it was that far south.

T_B

• forum hero
Skied a couple of days at Sainte Foy some years ago and clocked it as a family-friendly resort, plus has good off piste skiing. Easy to get to via travel hub of Bourg St Maurice.

That said I'd probably go to Austria as it's the best value for money.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
not a Scooby what they're like but the cost of Bansko outlined in the intro looks unbelieveable

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/The-best-ski-resorts-in-Eastern-Europe/

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Luz Ardiden, French Pyrenees.

Oops. Bit far for a day.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass

awesome translation on that site

The children which size doesn’t exceed 1,25 m cannot be transport on a seat that if they are companied at least by a person in measure to bring a necessary help has these children, in particular for the operation of the guard of body and the respect for safety instructions. (As an example the capacity of this person can be appreciated by its ticket)

rodma

• forum hero
Haha

Are they saying children must store their tickets up inside themselves? That's a bit off

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
due to the difference in half term dates for Derbyshire and Sheffield, I am told I should be looking at Xmas break for the proposed ski holiday

Val Thorens springs to mind as an OK early season venue (where I might fluke an occasional off piste adventure) - anyone been there with kids/beginners?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
I've not taken kids there but as a beginner resort it's pretty good. Large expanse of wide groomers and greens near the base and most lifts have blues off them once they get a bit more confidence. Only main problem you've got with a place like Val Thorens, or any other early season snow(ish) sure resort like Tignes too is the lack of tree lined runs, so if the weather is bad it can be pretty miserable as a beginner and visibility can be dreadful. Not much fun if you're competent too. Last point but only probably affects me but being at altitude like that for a week really screws me over, normally end up with a hacking cough and occasional nosebleeds.

galpinos

• forum hero
Skied a couple of days at Sainte Foy some years ago and clocked it as a family-friendly resort, plus has good off piste skiing. Easy to get to via travel hub of Bourg St Maurice.

Had a long weekend there last year. Chuffing brilliant for lift served + short hike of-piste. Lovely resort, would happily go back there again. Would be great for kids, poor for the piste skier who wants mileage though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Christmas has been really iffy the last few years, I would only consider one of the higher resorts with, as btfl says, an option of something lower down if the snow turns out to be good and you have some grim days. Les Arcs ticks both boxes, as does Avoriaz as you can get down to Morzine if needed, I'm sure there are others. No idea how suitable they are for beginners.

What's the age range? Christmas can often be pretty grim and cold, and little ones seem to feel it more. We've avoided it for this reason, but my brother usually goes, and says that the kids usually have a very short day, often half day or slightly longer because they are getting so cold and tired, and then spend the rest of the day indoors in front of a DVD, while the adults get some runs in, which may be a good or a bad thing!  You considered Easter?

galpinos

• forum hero
Val Thorens springs to mind as an OK early season venue (where I might fluke an occasional off piste adventure) - anyone been there with kids/beginners?

VT at Christmas time sounds very very cold to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal