UKBouldering.com

Why do Euros shit on approach paths / next to crags?? (Read 14247 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Simple question - and a genuine question.

It's an undeniable aspect of climbing in Europe (especially Spain and France in my experience). Everyone moans about it and rightly so I guess, but does anyone know why it's so prevelant over there?? Cultural differences or something??

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

It's an undeniable aspect of climbing in Europe (especially Spain and France in my experience). Everyone moans about it and rightly so I guess, but does anyone know why it's so prevelant over there?? Cultural differences or something??

I guess if it doesn't bother the individual, and the individual considers themselves a typical individual (i.e. no-one locally is bothered) then I guess there's no logical reason not to.  In fact, if all it does is piss off Brits and maybe keep the numbers down, then maybe there's a potential driver?

Dirty fuckin' daaghs!!!

rodma

• forum hero
sardinia equally terrible

Three Nine

• forum hero
hahaha try going to India - the dirty fuckers shit everywhere

haydn jones

• forum hero
I don't  think i've  ever seen  :shit: under a route/boulder in spain. Even in albarracin no  :shit: on the paths or where you climb. The only time i spotted   :shit: was when i myself needed the toilet and you wonder off the path and away from the climbing. Where are all these crags with shits under the climbs and on the path. Ive never seen them

Paul B

• forum hero
Really? The parking area was disgusting last time I visited including people dumping under clearly chalked boulders!

Recently in Chulilla someone took a dump outside of the sliding door of a friend's van. They stepped on it in the morning.

haydn jones

• forum hero
Infact i do know one place. Bas cuvier. But that isn't  climbers. So doesn't  really count

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
In recent times I've noticed plenty at Chulilla, Costa Blanca and Siurana (all places with a lot of poo right next to paths but also a lot of shrubbery / boulders in which it would be easy to head off for another 20m to be completely hidden).

haydn jones

• forum hero
Really? The parking area was disgusting last time I visited including people dumping under clearly chalked boulders!

Recently in Chulilla someone took a dump outside of the sliding door of a friend's van. They stepped on it in the morning.

Fuck. Are you serious? Thats outrageous  and disgusting. Both people should be ashamed of themselves. Was at parking several times in december and it was fine. No shit to be seen whilst climbing. But yea if you wonder off the path theres a lot of shit. People need to take shovles ideally

But again didn't  see any shit under a problem or on the path for the entire month

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
BTW I know people get irate about this, but this time I'm not trying to incite judgementalism and condemnation, I'm just interested why it's so prevalent "over there".

There's a lot of people in the UK (okay, going by UKC-style kneejerk reactions) who are militantly dogmatic about never shitting at crags (even though it's easy to make it hidden and secluded, and use natural materials to wipe, and bury it, and in this country to next deluge will wash it all away anyway), so I'm wondering where the difference lies....

JohnM

• junky
It is really prevalent.  I was in Albaraccin in one of the main bouldering areas.  There was this big group of Spaniards sitting round and one got up, walked 5 metres away from the group, dropped his kecks and shat in the middle of the bouldering area without stopping his conversation.  I remember the free campsite in Font, that was awful.  I went only a little way into the woods and there were two women propping each other up back to back shitting.  Another time hiking up a mountain in Slovenia behind a group 30 m up the path.  One women dropped off the back of the group, dropped her kecks in the middle of the path and curled one out as we were catching up.  We had to look away quickly rather than catch sight of her winking arsehole.  Why in the middle of the path?  It must be a cultural thing.  I go far into the woods not only not to shit in the climbing area but also because I see shitting as a private thing.  How very prude and British of me!     

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
It is really prevalent.  I was in Albaraccin in one of the main bouldering areas.  There was this big group of Spaniards sitting round and one got up, walked 5 metres away from the group, dropped his kecks and shat in the middle of the bouldering area without stopping his conversation.  I remember the free campsite in Font, that was awful.  I went only a little way into the woods and there were two women propping each other up back to back shitting.  Another time hiking up a mountain in Slovenia behind a group 30 m up the path.  One women dropped off the back of the group, dropped her kecks in the middle of the path and curled one out as we were catching up.  We had to look away quickly rather than catch sight of her winking arsehole.  Why in the middle of the path?  It must be a cultural thing.  I go far into the woods not only not to shit in the climbing area but also because I see shitting as a private thing.  How very prude and British of me!     

I've been winter climbing in Glencoe, and had the pleasure of looking up at just the wrong time and seen a guy taking a shit on the snow ledge just above me as I climbed past. The view was as bad as it could possibly get.

webbo

• forum hero
Maybe it's to do with them being descended from the Romans with their communal shitters and all that.
Best ask Nibs ;D

tomtom

• forum hero

Lack of public conveniences.

If you go to the states or Australia - most of the national park areas/car parks etc.. Have a bog - even if it's a compostable/long-drop affair.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Okay that makes some sense. But why so visible and so close to the crag??

dave

There were turd everywhere when I was last in Albarracin, by the parking, next to rocks, under boulders. Obviously worse near to the parking areas. We saw one woman squatting having a Brad Pitt about 15m from the road and clearly visible from it. It would be like rocking up at Burbage North and laying a Douglas Hurd behind the icecream van.

dave

P.s. Is is possible that shit at crags is invisible to folk with dreads?[emoji85]

haydn jones

• forum hero
P.s. Is is possible that shit at crags is invisible to folk with dreads?[emoji85]

I don't know, ask someone with dreads  :tease:

dave

Would you believe nobody I associate with has dreads.

tomtom

• forum hero
There were turd everywhere when I was last in Albarracin, by the parking, next to rocks, under boulders. Obviously worse near to the parking areas. We saw one woman squatting having a Brad Pitt about 15m from the road and clearly visible from it. It would be like rocking up at Burbage North and laying a Douglas Hurd behind the icecream van.

Like the turds left under Bens at the Tor the other week - or the one under Saline Drip last year, or the multiple turd offences at the Cave... (Good name for a route/link up there..)..

I guess the difference is at Albarracin (and other select EuroPoo hotspots - or should that be plopspots) is that the turdification is probably carried out by the climbers rather than the passing public...

tomtom

• forum hero
Maybe its time for a poll...... ;)

Mumra

I took a shit on a swan once

Mumra

Right on it

tomtom

• forum hero

I took a shit on a swan once

Hope you've got video evidence...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal