UKBouldering.com

Shoulder fall help (Read 2279 times)

bigdrew

• regular
Shoulder fall help
February 15, 2016, 08:11:38 pm
About a month ago I had a fall snowboarding. Landed directly onto the side / back of my shoulder. Initially there was loads of pain moving it and pain all down my bicep.

I gained about 95% range of motion and strength back within 2 weeks but I'm left with a constant dull ache (which doesn't seem to be altering). This increases after light climbing.

I'm not seen anyone yet (Planning to get an appointment with John Ostrovskis but he is on holiday for a couple of weeks) so any other recommendations welcome..

It doesn't feel particularly unstable but it does click / crack more than it use to. (no pain with the clicking) also my whole scapula / neck feels fairly tight.

Speeds test: https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article/767 causes pain

along with

O'Brains: https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article/760

Currently doing light rotator cuff exercises and mashing it with a tennis ball against the wall.

Anyone had similar symptoms?.. Or any advice before I can see a physio. I'm shitting myself I might have a minor SLAP tear :(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:28:07 pm by bigdrew »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Shoulder fall help
February 15, 2016, 10:52:12 pm
Reading that (I am not a physio) O Briens contrasts AC joint pain vs GH joint pain, so you would need to establish which as the symptoms point towards different injuries.

As someone who has had a shoulder separation ie proper AC joint sprain, I'd think that more likely and the mechanism (upward force into joint) fits that I think. It's a commonish injury in rugby for example.

Do you have a bump above the shoulder? Although your injury if AC does not sound too severe.

Put another way, I'd guess you strained the ligaments which suspend your shoulder from the clavicle. Painful, not uncommon, eminently fixable with a bit of patience.

http://www.sportscarephysio.com.au/resources/ac-joint-injury/

http://www.stoneclinic.com/blog/2014/6/4/quick-repair-of-shoulder-ac-joint-key-to-recovery

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#2 Re: Shoulder fall help
February 15, 2016, 11:59:11 pm
The reliability of either of the shoulder tests is individually not brilliant. The value of seeing an experienced professional is that they have done 20 different tests on thousands of people, and can base a diagnosis / impression on a collection of findings. A huge number of factors may affect shoulder symptoms / tests; I'd emphasise that precise location of pain isn't always the best guide to the structure injured. Seeing any half decent MSK physio would be well worthwhile. Best of luck with getting it better!

bigdrew

• regular
#3 Re: Shoulder fall help
February 17, 2016, 06:05:55 pm
I'll get booked in as soon as he is back really hoping its not too serious - Completely fed up with getting injured now!

bigdrew

• regular
#4 Re: Shoulder fall help
February 17, 2016, 08:19:42 pm

As someone who has had a shoulder separation ie proper AC joint sprain, I'd think that more likely and the mechanism (upward force into joint) fits that I think. It's a commonish injury in rugby for example.

Do you have a bump above the shoulder? Although your injury if AC does not sound too severe.

Np bump and no real pain on top of the shoulder. I'm fairly sure my shoulder would have been pushed forwards and inwards when I fell tried to get over onto my back but obviously landed a bit short if that makes sense. Not sure if that is the sort of thing to cause an AC injury?

Trapping the hand under by other armpit and moving my elbow forwards seems to give me the worst pain if that means anything..

Andy.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5 Re: Shoulder fall help
February 17, 2016, 08:24:28 pm
It would to a physio  ;)

bigdrew

• regular
#6 Re: Shoulder fall help
February 17, 2016, 08:41:30 pm
Ha yeah I'm working on that bit..

Booked in with John O.. he is currently on Holiday for another week so trying to reassure my self in the mean time!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal