UKBouldering.com

Portable Grinder / MASSIVE Bolt Cutters (Read 6995 times)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Portable Grinder / MASSIVE Bolt Cutters
January 15, 2016, 05:46:18 pm
Someone has left two D locks locking my bike to a railing at uni (hallamshire hospital). Does anyone have a tool I could borrow that would be capable of breaking them off? Alternatively whoever owns the locks will probably be back sometime next week but was hoping to take my bike to Manchester tomorrow. I live near Hunters bar but can collect from nearby..

Thanks

Schnell

• menacing presence
Sorry can't help, I'd be very impressed if someone could get through one of those with a bolt cutters of any humanly useable size. I think you'd need an angle grinder. This happened to me back home (in Ireland), I asked in a police station and they came and chopped it. Not sure if that'd fly in this context.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Are they those Kryptonite locks? Older D locks with round keys can be quite easy to get into. Newer ones are hard work. Locking a bike up is a classic technique of thieves. I'd contact the cops or 101. Can you prove the bike is yours?

tomtom

• forum hero
Some ways out of this.
1. Car jack - the scissor type - insert in the D (accross ways) and jack.
2. Freezer spray (will probably work extra well tonight!) available from diy stors for freezing pipes for plumbing. Freeze the shit out of the lock end of the D lock (the thick band) then whack the fuck out of it with the heaviest hammer you can get. Aim is to shatter the lock - maybe even the bar itself. If the locks they've used have plastic around then try and smash this off first.
3. If this can't be done then cut the railing. Probably easier than cutting the lock.

Ps obi wan is on the money. This is a scam imho. Fuckers.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
I think it is just a mistake because I have seen the same locks locked to the railing before so I assume they just leave them there. I would just leave it until next week but could do with the bike tomorrow. Cheers

tomtom

• forum hero
+1 to what Schnell said btw. Try the fuzz first... Bolt cutters won't scratch it.

If you can't do anything then cnsider stripping the frame in situ? If you take away as many components as possible then it may become less desirable and they'll leave it?

SamT

• forum hero

Myself and 'erm Sam' managed to use a scissor type car jack successfully in font this year to remove a D lock from his kids bike (he left the key back in blighty!)

we had tried the 'pen top' method with various felt tip/pen tops to no avail.

SamT

• forum hero

or

but yeah - I'd call 101 (non emergency police) or the rent-cop security at the hospital) first so you dont get collared.

tomtom

• forum hero

I think it is just a mistake because I have seen the same locks locked to the railing before so I assume they just leave them there. I would just leave it until next week but could do with the bike tomorrow. Cheers

Hmm. Maybe I'm a cynical bugger - but would maybe accept one lock. But two?

a dense loner

• forum hero
No one leaves their bike lock on a random bike

tomtom

• forum hero
What happened? Did you get them off?

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Got to uni this morning, bike still there with both locks on. Called the peelers and explained the situation but they said they cant do anything until its been stolen. :slap: Going to have a word with hospital security now.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I have heard of this as a method for stealing it - they'll lave it locked until a suitably quiet time to be off with it.

As someone who's had two bikes nicked (good ones) I'd be wary.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Thanks, I've also had two bikes nicked so keen to rescue this one! Hospital security unable to help so my mate is bringing me a car jack to try and break them off later.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Got to uni this morning, bike still there with both locks on. Called the peelers and explained the situation but they said they cant do anything until its been stolen. :slap: Going to have a word with hospital security now.

I know they have bolt cutters, but as people have said, those aren't going to be much use. If you mention you expect it's a scam, security should be interested at least. Estates would likely have something that could get it off (like the drill above), so you could mention that to security as a suggestion?

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Yeah I explained the situation pretty comprehensively to two security guards and both said that no suitable tools were available. :(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Could perhaps try University of Sheffield Estates if its at that end of the site.  They kindly took an angle grinder to my D-Lock when the lock mechanism seized and I couldn't unlock it.  Took a few days to arrange though.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Will try them on monday, thanks

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Make sure you've some way of proving ownership, this wasn't an issue for me as I use a lock-up in a buildings basement with key access and security cameras and have been seen going in and out of there for +5 years.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Yeah the security guy at the medical school should recognize me and the bike. I broke my friends car jack today so make sure you've got a strong one if you're going to try it!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
did you glue up the lock that wasn't yours?

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Chopped them off just now, thanks for the help.

tomtom

• forum hero
Chopped them off just now, thanks for the help.
Excellent. Which method worked?

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Managed it with an angle grinder which the security let me plug in at the reception. Thanks to Obi Wan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal