UKBouldering.com

Partitian my hard drive (Read 2026 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 11:08:09 am
My nice new laptop has just turned up  :D  :D

I remember a thread that mentioned  hard drives and splitting them up into windows and data sections.  My computer has a C: with windows and 24.8GB free and D: 8.68GB free.

How do I split the drive so that I have windows in a section that i can re-install when it goes tits up?  BTW its XP pro if that makes any difference.

Cheers

D.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 11:11:58 am
If you've got the XP install discs then it's probably easiest to start again from scratch. The XP installer can do it, or you can do it yourself from DOS.

Otherwise you'll be looking at a partitioning utility. Not sure which one to recommend because the last time I used one it fucked everything up.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 11:19:34 am
Nah it only comes with recovery disks!  Though I do have a snide copy of XP Pro that I was using on this laptop.  Problem is that you have to install a shit load of service packs in order so as not to get blaster virus etc.  That took me over 2 hours last time :shock:

Do you think its better to partition now or later when I find some software?  i have a 120GB hard drive in my XBOX that I use to store media files on maybe I can just use that for back ups?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 11:23:29 am
I'd have a look about and see what's recommended as a partition managing prog. If you do it now at least you won't lose any data. I'd leave about 5gig free for the Windows partition.

If you burn a copy of a firewall install prog. to disc, and install it between installing XP and going online to get the updates, that should help stop you getting infected.

Current average infection time for an unprotected broadband pc connected to the web is about 20 mins. Depressing.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 11:31:30 am
Hence the trouble I've had with this machine :evil:   I still haven't got rid of the Hidrag virus, but it doesn't seem to be doing any hard.  It's jsut a pain in the arse.

What free firewall do you recommend?  Problem is i only have a burner on the new machine!  So I need to download, burn then partition.

Looks like I will be spending some time with my baby today as well as other computer stuff :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 11:39:26 am
PC Mag recommend Partition Magic 8 as a partitioning tool: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1593866,00.asp , but I don't think there's a trial version anywhere.

Zonealarm is a very easy to use firewall: htttp://zonealarm.com

If you download and burn it on the new machine which you're going to re-install anyway, it shouldn't matter if you get infected? XP has a built in firewall too these days, but never used it myself.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 12:10:52 pm
PQ Magic is THE partition tool. I have 8 somewhere and it works fine with NTFS5 (that which is in XP) which could have caused the problems for you Bubs.

If you've only got rescue disks however you are likely to loose extra drive when it restores from an image as I think they mostly work at Partition level, it depends on the disk and how it works. If you have access to t'interweb sans firewall get yourself a copy of XP either the volume or select license ones are the best as you don't need a key.

Good luck!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 12:11:45 pm
Do you think this http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/8/13-8-2.shtml

Will have any options removed from the trial version.  If it does work how do I put my windows files in a seperate drive?  Seeing as I haven't put anything onto the machine yet i could just put everything into one 5GB partition.  

I wonder why the hard disk is already partitioned into 2 bit?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 12:23:13 pm
Ah, there is a trial - I went through the symantec site and couldn't find it. If it's a timed demo then it should be fully functional

What I do is have all my windows stuff on C:, all other apps on D:, E: for data and F: for a work area.

C: only needs to be a about 5gig max, D about 10, E is the biggie and F a couple of gig.

Not saying that's the best way to do it but it works for me.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#9 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 12:33:53 pm
Cheers guys :D

Will stumble on with the rescue disks until xpPro lands on my lap :wink:

Will try to partition today.  I assume if my computer fucks up I can just restore windows to that paticular partition?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 12:41:59 pm
If it fucks up, do it from dos

- create a dos boot disk from windows or download one from somewhere (make sure it's got cd rom drivers)
- format c:
- format d:
- fdisk - create your partitions - have a look online for a guide re physical and logical drives.
- then install into the c: partition

Pain in the ass if you've not done it before but fairly foolproof.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 02:05:18 pm
you can download the install discs from windows website for free.
xp is bootable by cd so you shouldn't need the discs anyway. when installing xp, when it asks you where you want to install it, remove all partitions and recreate them and then format them and then install xp on the one you want. easy

samJ

• player
    • http://www.wackylabs.net
#12 Partitian my hard drive
August 19, 2004, 02:55:56 pm
You can also download the 200MB+ XP Service Pack 2 if ya have broadband (if not then I suggest not trying to download it). Burn that to CD and install before connecting XP laptop to network should work a treat... (well its got a firewall in now at least... oh, actually so has normal xp, you just need to turn it on!)

No problems with XP SP2 on 2 PCs so far btw...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal