UKBouldering.com

board games (Read 18525 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
#50 Re: board games
June 15, 2016, 09:55:39 pm
The Sheffield Board game club has a few beards - a couple of old straggly ones and a couple of hipsterish ones. But mostly not. It's clearly a geeky hobby but consists largely of loads of 20s-40s year olds with too much free time. People are generally either friendly, or slightly too autistic/engrossed in their games to be friendly.

Boardgaming is increasingly mainsteam. The proper beard&b.o. brigade operate on a range of next-level-geekism planes, including role-playing (e.g. dungeons  and 73-sided dice), wargaming (lots of miniatures and 6-sided dice) and CCGing (Magic: The Gathering, et al.). Sheffield board game club does what it says on the tin and is pretty well purified of such scourges. Some clubs are more mxed. Beware local 'board game shops' which run events for people focussing on the 3 planes above.

Your location is listed as Bingley. As it happens, I recently visited Aireborough Community Gamers, 20 minutes from Bingley. They were very friendly and welcoming and we had some good games. I've looked up Diced Tea, they seem friendly. There's basically a bunch of smallish groups around Leeds and various irregular weekend meets. For the full shebang I'd recommend visiting York and Beyond Monopoly - on one of their fortnightly Saturday meets. In fact, I'm considering it for this Sat. Conference/meeting rooms type venue attached to a cafe. Club library of ~700 games.

Drop me a line if you want more guidance on such matters....

:smartass:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#51 Re: board games
June 15, 2016, 10:20:58 pm
with too much free time

Well that's me fucked then. Thanks Sam.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#52 Re: board games
June 16, 2016, 11:37:02 am
Will my mate James (not the one you met) goes to a gaming club in keighley on thursday nights to play board games can send you his details if you are interested or looking for people to play with. I can confirm he has a beard.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal