UKBouldering.com

Podcasts (Read 7255 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Podcasts
September 09, 2014, 09:44:30 pm
I'm now spending a fair amount of time ploughing up and down the M1 as well as through Yorkshire to sites and I'm getting a bit fed up of the radio / my music collection / all the sport on radio 5.

I may be more than a little behind the times with this but I was thinking that I might be able to use the time more wisely with the help of a few podcast recommendations (if my other thread goes to plan). I guess a good suggestion for an Android based podcast manager might be in order too.

Any [more] recommendations (from the good people of UKB), so far I've had:
http://trainingbeta.com/media/mark-and-mike-anderson-interview/?portfolioID=3838
http://enormocast.com/ - I particularly liked the Hazel Findlay interview.

:bounce:

dave

#1 Re: Podcasts
September 09, 2014, 09:53:27 pm
Not climbing related, but for comedy heads all of RHLSTP are worth a listen:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/richard-herrings-leicester/id520831548?mt=2

Teaboy

• forum hero
#2 Re: Podcasts
September 09, 2014, 10:02:59 pm
The Bugle - funniest thing ever
Football Ramble - if you like football
/filmcast - if you like films (and Kermode Mayo)

I've tried lots of others like answer me this, infinite monkey cage etc but these are there I always come back to

Stabbsy

• junky
#3 Re: Podcasts
September 09, 2014, 10:28:37 pm
The Bugle - funniest thing ever
The Bugle is genius, but on a bit of a break at the minute as John Oliver has a TV show in the US. I think you can get the last 2 years worth on iTunes though, so plenty to listen to. Hours of comedy gold!

The other ones I always listen to are Infinite Monkey Cage, Velocast Cycling and Radio 4 Comedy.

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Podcasts
September 10, 2014, 06:00:42 am
Agreed, Richard Herring is excellent.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Podcasts
September 10, 2014, 06:32:31 am
A good client is Doggcatcher but it's paid. Not sure of best freebie.

Imo the best podcast in existence is This American Life but it won't appeal to everyone.

Other ones worth a try:

- 5Live Lets' Talk About Tech
- The Moth
- Answer Me This ( 2 annoying people but can be quite funny )
- R4 Comedy of the week
- NPR Snap Judgement
- NPR Fresh Air
- Guardian Music (currently stalled) / Science / Tech weekly
- RTE - Dave Clarke (Techno)

Your other friends for commuting if you have a good data package are Spotify Pro, Soundcloud and Tunein Radio apps.

Poweramp is a good app for playing music from your SD card.

Evil

• addict
#6 Re: Podcasts
September 10, 2014, 10:02:57 am
I quite like this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moreorless

(It's a BBC radio show about statistics in the news)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#7 Re: Podcasts
September 10, 2014, 06:45:54 pm
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
TED radio hour
Econtalk - conservative US based economics podcast.  Has some really good non-national podcasts as well.

canadiankate

• Canadiankate
#8 Re: Podcasts
September 20, 2014, 09:02:43 pm
I like the infinite monkey cage (science comedy with brian cox and robin ince plus guests. They discuss science issues ) and great lives (guest and expert talks about someone they really admire. E.g will self talking about oscar wilde) They're both on BBC r4. As is In our time with Melvyn Bragg.

Eddies

• forum hero
#9 Re: Podcasts
November 23, 2014, 06:50:19 pm
+1 on Dan Carlin's hardcore history... The Gengis Khan series is amazing.

I really enjoy the 'We Do Science' podcasts from 'Guru Performance'

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Podcasts
August 08, 2015, 10:11:09 pm
Been doing a *lot* of driving lately (Munich - Gesäuse - MUnich - Manchester - Norfolk, so far) and getting through a lot of podcasts. Of thw climbing related ones I've been listening to, I have to say enormocast is head & shoulders the best in terms of interviewing and production skills, and the best of the best is the one with Stevie Haston

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Podcasts
August 09, 2015, 08:40:27 am
Joe rogan experience, scroobius pip's distraction peices and the marc maron one with obama in it.... Joe rogan is 3 hours of comedy ramblings, pip's podcast is organised music talk.... Enormocast is probably the best climbing related....

Schnell

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Podcasts
August 09, 2015, 10:42:55 am
Been doing a *lot* of driving lately (Munich - Gesäuse - MUnich - Manchester - Norfolk, so far) and getting through a lot of podcasts. Of thw climbing related ones I've been listening to, I have to say enormocast is head & shoulders the best in terms of interviewing and production skills, and the best of the best is the one with Stevie Haston

I'm an enormocast fan too though in terms of the best episode I think the interview with Peter Croft was flipping brilliant. His pure enthusiasm and serious lack of ego come through strongly. There's a fantastic story about climbing a big link up in Yosemite with John Bachar involving serious heroics, and his take on Honnold and filming big solo climbs was interesting, and amusingly put, even if it wasn't a total revelation.

Jovial Geordie

#13 Re: Podcasts
August 18, 2015, 01:38:04 pm
Have to agree on infinite monkey cage, although Robin Ince does try a bit to hard at time.

Friday night comedy from BBC Radio 4 is a good mix of whatever show happens to be on, be it The Now Show, Just a Minute of The News Quiz ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pc9pj/episodes/downloads )

Freakonomics Radio ( http://freakonomics.com/radio/freakonomics-radio-podcast-archive/) and The Naked Scientists                   ( http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ ) are also quite interesting if you like sciency based strange facts and stats.

Brannock

• regular
#14 Re: Podcasts
October 02, 2015, 01:12:11 pm

For more history started listening to the revolutions podcast series on the French Revolution. Starts here . 54 episodes (!), 30 ish minutes each.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Re: Podcasts
December 20, 2015, 08:56:21 pm
Just started listening to the "Blueprint for Armageddon" series whilst at work this weekend - I'm not normally much of a history fan but he presents it in such a way that it really comes to life - I've learned more about WWI in the space of 6 hours than I previously learned in a lifetime. Highly recommended.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal