UKBouldering.com

work/travel in Saudi (Read 11301 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#25 Re: work/travel in Saudi
March 25, 2015, 12:38:46 pm
It sounds like sound counsel, TT. With the advice given on the thread it sounds like a huge risk to take on the work and unless you desperately need in then why play with such high stakes.

If you got banged up in the nick, who'd look after the cat  :'(

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#26 Re: work/travel in Saudi
March 25, 2015, 12:50:19 pm
I think, in a Suadi gaol, pet care and other domestic fripperys are the least of one's concerns.

AlistairB

• addict
#27 Re: work/travel in Saudi
March 25, 2015, 12:52:58 pm
Thanks all. Just refused the job.

I think I could have put up with some of the shit involved with working there - but it would also have involved taking a colleague over there too for the 'training' and I didn't want to be responsible for them as well....

Probably a good decision I reckon, my brother has ended up there a few times with his current employer. Whilst he has never had legal problems or anything like that, there's a reason that people in his company will suddenly do their best to fill their schedules at the first mention of a Saudi project. I'd echo what people say about working with infuriating people and it being an utterly miserable place to live based on his experiences.

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Re: work/travel in Saudi
March 25, 2015, 01:12:15 pm

If you got banged up in the nick, who'd look after the cat  :'(

MrsTT... :)

Cat would miss me dearly of course - until it was feeding time...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#29 Re: work/travel in Saudi
March 25, 2015, 01:51:42 pm
That's a cat for you.

mark20

• junky
#30 Re: work/travel in Saudi
March 25, 2015, 01:57:11 pm
Our company occasionally do work in Saudi, usually sending over a couple of guys for a month or so to work on a steel plant, which sounds grim enough, but in 2003 the compound next to the one they were staying in was attacked by terrorists. Fuck that

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#31 Re: work/travel in Saudi
March 25, 2015, 03:25:05 pm
Good choice I reckon Tom.

"Fuck that" would be my reaction too.

petejh

• forum hero
#32 Re: work/travel in Saudi
December 18, 2015, 07:47:48 pm
I've received an offer of employment for a permanent manager's position to set up and run a rope access operation in Saudi.

Whilst I've currently got a really good number in the UK I always have some underlying wanderlust. It's been a while since I last upped sticks and I could be intrigued enough to want to explore Saudi Arabia.
If it's unrealistic for a westerner to safely explore somewhere as full-on as Saudi (?) and life is likely to centre around existing in a luxurious ex-pat ghetto then I'm probably not keen.

I've read the FCO detailed guidance and the previous comments on here which paint a stark picture, accurately I'm sure.

I've worked in Oman (for 12 weeks). I realise that country is massively more west-oriented than Saudi, but I quite liked it there and enjoyed learning a bit of Arabic and trying to use it. If I did go I'd want to use the opportunity to explore more of the middle-east, obv bearing in mind the current situation makes things even chancier than usual for the region. Again if travel/exploration around the wider area is unrealistic then I doubt I'd be happy with just staying put in Saudi and jetting home each rotation.

I'm 80/20 against going.

Other than being interested in any info that adds to what's been said already in the thread, I'd be interested to hear opinions on what people would expect to be paid for a permanent manager's role in Saudi..

Doylo

• forum hero
#33 Re: work/travel in Saudi
December 18, 2015, 07:55:24 pm
Terrible idea. Certain death.

tomtom

• forum hero
#34 Re: work/travel in Saudi
December 18, 2015, 07:58:26 pm
If part of the role (a large part) would be dealing with red tape, beurocracy, laws, local health and safety, training people and being responsible for their wellbeing (which I suspect would be part of the operation) - then I would be concerned how that would all work over there...

I also got the impression that some places are easier to live&work in/safer than others.. So maybe also depends where based?

petejh

• forum hero
#35 Re: work/travel in Saudi
December 18, 2015, 08:08:08 pm
I also got the impression that some places are easier to live&work in/safer than others.. So maybe also depends where based?
Don't know the location, I'm finding out the details next week when I meet up to talk about it. Like I say it'd have to be good to shift me from where I am but ...

Terrible idea. Certain death.
You're penciled in as one of the permanent supervisors, did I not mention it? Better get that proj sent pronto

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#36 Re: work/travel in Saudi
December 18, 2015, 08:21:35 pm
Other than being interested in any info that adds to what's been said already in the thread, I'd be interested to hear opinions on what people would expect to be paid for a permanent manager's role in Saudi..

A mate had similar, and package included.

8k pounds a month. Tax free.
Lovely house in a compound all paid for.
Kids in the best schools.
10k relocation allowance.

Wasn't as senior position as you would have so i would expect a 120k salary for you tax free wouldn't be unreasonable. Bearing in mind he was with Megarme.

Let me know if your job here becomes available  ;) Or, if you need guys over in Saudi. 2 on 3 off right  ;)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#37 Re: work/travel in Saudi
December 18, 2015, 08:33:25 pm
Dave Lawson ran an RA outfit in Dubai for a few years and I almost went in with him at one point... Then he ended up in jail.
Which is what happens when your Sherpa foreman screws up and someone dies or your "Local" boss/partner gets the hump with you.
They work on the "chuck 'em all in jail and see who confesses first" system of law enforcement.
Along with the "make it up as it suits" legal system...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andy popp

• forum hero
#38 Re: work/travel in Saudi
December 18, 2015, 09:36:47 pm
Boy, I really wish I was working there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal