A cat
17 (24.3%)
The French Pastry/Pink Anasazi unification front of UKB
11 (15.7%)
Border Collie
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: December 28, 2015, 10:15:05 am

What type of dog should PaulB get? (Read 19659 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:15:05 am

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:25:34 am
You missed off Border Collie - for me the ultimate climber's dog, assuming one has the time to care for it!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:28:58 am
A British bulldog.
Oh, and Pinks.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:38:09 am

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#4 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:46:51 am
Tibetan Spaniel

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:47:47 am
OK, OK - sorry..

:( nice pic Shark...

In my defence, I know very little about dogs...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:47:50 am
You also missed Lurcher off the list. Surely THIS is the quintessential climber's dog!?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:49:45 am
SAUSAGE DOG!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#8 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:52:22 am
which ever is the most accident prone dog, might take some of the bad luck off Paul Unluckly Alf

dave

#9 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:55:20 am
Any dog that is capable of dialing 999.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 10:56:32 am
Any dog that is capable of dialing 999.

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 11:05:39 am
You also missed Lurcher off the list. Surely THIS is the quintessential climber's dog!?

Fatneck has it, or more realistically whichever looks the most pathetic and in need from the local rescue centre, who were lurking at the supermarket yesterday.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 11:07:57 am
Lurcher to go with your climbing style?

dave

#13 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 11:27:53 am
On a serious note, get a dog that doesn't do any of the following:

- bark a lot at the crag
- stink
- run up to people and jumps up on them covering them with mud and the indelible stench of damp dog
- run up to small children, jump up on them and try to lick their face "just being friendly" and therefore makes said kids scared of dogs for years
- emit a series of aggressive earsplitting barks at each and every other dog entering the pub

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#14 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 11:50:32 am
Literally just bought a Lurcher on Friday actually (Greyhound, bearded collie mix)
Hoping for a crag dog that is friendly, but also lies down to be lazy after the walk in... we shall see.

I can report back in a year if you can wait that long...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 11:53:49 am
- run up to small children, jump up on them and try to lick their face "just being friendly" and therefore makes said kids scared of dogs for years

Especially this. Our youngest is still terrified of them, because this exact thing happened.

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 12:11:16 pm
So you mean be a decent owner and actually invest time training said dog?

People with kids terrified of them, is there nothing you can do to rectify this? Surely someone you know has a giant fluffy dog that is softer than mud. It's an inevitable fact of life that people own dogs and they will be exposed to them (even well behaving ones) at some point in their life. Nat's brother was like this and still is to a certain extent.

I've been amazed how trainable the retriever was. The first weekend we had him his recall was OK but walking on a lead was a nightmare. This time he was much different after being corrected a few times his recall was great and he was OK on a lead. He even didn't chase the sheep I'd missed in one of the fields (although it may have sorted that issue once and for all as there were two rather large tups who wouldn't have stood for it I reckon).

Again, if we get one it'll be a rescue and chances are it'll be b*t sh*t crazy to start with or terrified of life, or both.

rodma

• forum hero
#17 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 12:35:42 pm
So you mean be a decent owner and actually invest time training said dog?

People with kids terrified of them, is there nothing you can do to rectify this? Surely someone you know has a giant fluffy dog that is softer than mud. It's an inevitable fact of life that people own dogs and they will be exposed to them (even well behaving ones) at some point in their life. Nat's brother was like this and still is to a certain extent.

I used to love dogs as a child, but when i was about 12 years old one randomly bit me on the arm puncturing my skin through severallayers of clothing (about 1 minute into being patted no barking, just a waggly tail by way of warning). I'm still not alright with dogs as a result and i doubt anything my parents had done following that would have changed anything, becuase me not being alright with dogs is not without merit. some dogs will bite, some won't and you can't tell the difference when one is bounding around (or at) you

i don't have any problems with specific dogs, other than that they're a bit stinky  ::)

Three Nine

• forum hero
#18 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 12:39:21 pm
Get an attack poodle, i hear they're great!

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#19 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 12:42:55 pm
The kind of sausage dog that goes at the bottom of a door to keep out draughts.

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 12:49:08 pm
Perhaps I made my point badly Rodma- I'm not of the belief that people should consider them all fluffy and harmless, but knowing how to approach one, when not to etc is a useful skill and some faith can be restored via exposure to a decent dog whilst maintaining a healthy dose of caution!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#21 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 12:57:00 pm

This is crap. It's not reasonable to expect that at some point during somebody's life they may or may not get harrased by a dog and that really they should just toughen themselves up a bit. If a dog terrorises or bites a kid, it is more often than not the fault of the dog and its owner.
You wouldn't say "It's an inevitable fact of life that people own dogs some people are bullies and they will be exposed to them (even well behaving ones) at some point in their life."

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#22 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 01:16:07 pm
Don't worry, he won't bite  ;D

Seriously though, you can never blame the dog.

I grew up with dogs, and generally love them, but the nonchalance of some owners is just incredible.

Lurcher, Border Collie, Greyhound, Pastry/Pink Anasazi mix.

rodma

• forum hero
#23 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 01:18:31 pm
Perhaps I made my point badly Rodma- I'm not of the belief that people should consider them all fluffy and harmless, but knowing how to approach one, when not to etc is a useful skill and some faith can be restored via exposure to a decent dog whilst maintaining a healthy dose of caution!

the dog that bit me appeared a decent dog, my folks were present, it bit all the same. everyone was calm, even (apparently) the dog

I'm not so naive that i think humans are any better, i give plenty a wide berth, but i generally fancy my chances of fending off a human (keeping them at a distance ta least) as slightly better than fending off a dog

get one of the less fragrant varieties, that's my best advice

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#24 Re: What type of dog should PaulB get?
December 21, 2015, 01:24:59 pm
I used to walk to school through a council estate (it was uphill both ways in case anyone's wondering) that had more than it's fair share of stray dogs. Being knocked over and chased by them made me terrified of dogs for my whole childhood.

I moved out of my Mum and Dad's when I was 18 and on the first evening I was walking to the shop. There was an unattended dog coming along the same side of the road. I was about to do what I'd normally do, cross the road and possibly even take a pointless diversion to avoid it, when I said to myself "You're a man now, you're not scared of dogs" and carried on down the footpath. The dog ignored me.

I've been ambivalent to them since, the only exception being when I climbed in Turkey and a dog from the campsite followed us to the crag. On the way back a band of feral stray dogs followed us and kept trying to attack our friend- when we looked back you could see their eyes reflecting in the darkness  :o . We had to carry rocks and hurl them at them when they came to attack, like neanderthal times.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal