UKBouldering.com

Jam Crack (Read 78193 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#75 Re: Jam Crack
February 25, 2016, 07:59:02 pm
any thoughts about doing Jam Crack TV Grimer?

Sheffield Live! local TV station are looking for proposals... plenty of Sheff locals to interview about playing on rocks

http://web.sheffieldlive.org/get-involved/

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#76 Re: Jam Crack
February 25, 2016, 08:48:11 pm
I loved "You've been Popped" Niall - it was great.

How about Robbie Owen reading that classic piece he wrote for Northern Soul?

andy popp

• forum hero
#77 Re: Jam Crack
February 25, 2016, 08:49:50 pm

Some of it was even true ...

galpinos

• forum hero
#78 Re: Jam Crack
February 25, 2016, 08:56:15 pm
http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-podcast/jcpc-006-the-view-from-dead-horse-point
Chris Schulte reads The View from Dead Horse Point.

Wow......... Made me want to book tickets then and there. As I was stuck in a traffic jam on the M62 I didn't, but it did make the journey loads better.

Keep 'em coming Griner!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#79 Re: Jam Crack
February 25, 2016, 09:37:15 pm

Some of it was even true ...

Niall should interview you Andy (seriously)....

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#80 Re: Jam Crack
February 25, 2016, 09:59:23 pm
That's an excellent suggestion  :goodidea:

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#81 Re: Jam Crack
February 26, 2016, 02:08:03 pm
word on the street(s of Buxton) is a certain french female rockstar of the 80s/90s will feature in a future Jam Crack.

andy popp

• forum hero
#82 Re: Jam Crack
February 26, 2016, 02:29:14 pm
word on the street(s of Buxton) is a certain french female rockstar of the 80s/90s will feature in a future Jam Crack.

If its Isabelle Patissier then she can tell the story about the time we did an E1 down Dovedale together, thus satisfying Ben and Will's request at the same time. It's probably the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#83 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 09:34:17 am
Listened to the latest one last night while insomnic. Quite interesting - didn't know much about her.

It was a shame that a few times Grimer's questions didn't quite get through, as I think the answers would have been interesting.

One bit of (hopefully) constructive criticism is the sound seemed a bit off to me - were the inputs overloading a bit?  It sounded similar ot cheap soeakers being played too loud, but this was on my phone with headphones on quite a low setting.

Keep up the good work - what a scoop!

galpinos

• forum hero
#84 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 09:47:35 am

If its Isabelle Patissier then she can tell the story about the time we did an E1 down Dovedale together, thus satisfying Ben and Will's request at the same time. It's probably the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me.

It wasn't, but she did get a mention/slagged off.......

grimer

• forum hero
#85 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 11:56:34 am
Cheers Fultonius, and thanks for the feedback.

So, I know very little about sound recording etc. But I'm pretty sure the inputs were not overloading. It might sound lame, but seeing as I know so little, I'm having to accept that it won't sound all that great, but would always be keen to know more.

Sound seems like a very deep knowledge hole to sink in to...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#86 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 12:18:07 pm
I'm not knowledgeable in that field either - but surely there's someone on here that is: a) A tech wizz in that area and b) can come round and see what's what.

I'm sure you'd be able to sort out the sound without much difficulty.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#87 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 01:47:15 pm
Failing to get the levels matched seems to be a common problem in podcasts. Often the case when I'm driving, with a lot of ambient noise, that I can hear the interviewee but barely hear the questions.

Trainingbeta is a particularly stubborn repeat offender, but by no means the only one.

grimer

• forum hero

a dense loner

• forum hero
#89 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 07:03:04 pm
A tip for the sound levels grimer would be don't conduct the interviews in the dark

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#90 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 07:10:57 pm
A tip for the sound levels grimer would be don't conduct the interviews in the dark

You've got it arse about face again, Dense. The dark amplifies the sound because there are fewer photons interfering with all the decibels, so he should be doing it in complete pitch black.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#91 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 07:31:37 pm
I knew that I just wanted to appear ignorant ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#92 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 09:18:53 pm
Just listened. That was the best yet for me and I really enjoyed hearing Sean slip jigging through the Rocky Road to Dublin at the end. Not an easy song to sing that one. Makes me want to get my fiddle out again.

This actually reminds me of my own story.

Waking up in a blind panic one morning I realised that it was now October and I still hadn't arranged anything for my dissertation. I whirled into action and had soon fixed it for me and the then girlfriend to do the work at a field site near Lake Vyrnwy in mid-Wales. It would take a week to collect all the data I needed and we hired a car and set off.
There are two places to stay near Vyrnwy. One is a four star hotel and spa near the village, the other is a dilapidated bunkhouse clinging to the side of the moor at the end of a mile long forestry track, completely isolated from anywhere. The bunkhouse was used by "Steve" the local outdoor instructor who would house his unfortunate customers there during the week. At this time of year it was deserted and I'd booked it for a snip.
After arriving at Vyrnwy and being shown the field site by the local RSPB rep we set off to find the accommodation. The RSPB man had told us that the instructor bloke was a bit "fly-by-night". What does that mean? Is he a bloody vampire?
It was the last week of October and the nights were drawing in. We eventually arrived after dark, wondering how to get in. We needn't have worried; neither of the exterior doors had locks on them. Creeping in, we flicked a switch and a cold fluorescent light dimly lit the space. Everything was cold and uninviting and we completely failed to get the coal fire going. The bunkhouse was a medium sized hut, and with only two bodies to occupy it, it always felt uneasily empty. There was never enough noise to make a place of that size feel inhabited; you always had that feeling like you were passing through somewhere you shouldn't be.

After the first day's fieldwork we returned to the hut and I went straight to the fire to try and get it going. Daisy went to the kitchen to make a pot of tea and came running out into the common room about 10 seconds later.
"Did you touch the kettle?" she asked urgently.
"No", I replied, "what do you mean?"
"The back door is open and the kettle was already on to boil when I went into the kitchen. It just clicked off".
After confirming that she wasn't taking the piss, we both proceeded to wet ourselves. The back door had been left shut and to open it would have required turning the handle, it couldn't have blown open. There was only one track going up to the house through the woods and we had just driven up it, passing nobody on the way. Whoever boiled the kettle must have come on foot, and been startled away when they heard the car approaching. Or were they still here, in the hut?
I paced back into the common room and grabbed the poker from the fireplace. In what I still think is the single bravest act of my life I proceeded to search the house, including shining a torch into the loft space. There was nothing, but this became a ritual that had to be repeated every night before we could even think about settling for the evening. Coming back to the hut every evening was awful. It isn't easy to relax in a place where you don't feel safe and private.

Fast forward a week and it was time to leave. I was so glad to see the back of that shack. As we drove away from Vyrnwy the sun was out for the first time since arriving in Wales. As we neared a town my phone sprung into life, receiving the messages and missed calls that had tried to get through all week to that isolated, unconnected place. A weight lifted from my chest and I realised it was the first time all week that I hadn't felt tense. We laughed and laughed that it was over.

grimer

• forum hero
#93 Re: Jam Crack
March 15, 2016, 11:31:28 pm
Wow! Gripper Will.

Duma

• forum hero
#94 Re: Jam Crack
April 14, 2016, 07:54:06 pm
I've missed a couple, but the new one with Paul Pritchard is great. (I am a sucker for deep play though) http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-podcast/jcpc-010-paul-pritchard-reads-rubble-merchants-slate-heads-and-others

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#95 Re: Jam Crack
April 14, 2016, 08:05:59 pm
The bunkhouse was a medium sized hut, and with only two bodies to occupy it, it always felt uneasily empty. There was never enough noise to make a place of that size feel inhabited; you always had that feeling like you were passing through somewhere you shouldn't be.

Only just read this, and I know what you mean. I organised a DAV trip to North Wales a few years ago, staying in the Karabiner Club hut near Llanberis (my old club). I arrived a few days in advance of the others, and you're right. Even though in my case it was a place I knew and had good memories of, you can never quite relax alone in a place that's far too big for you, especially when it's in a remote location. There's always something a bit The Shining about it.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#96 Re: Jam Crack
September 01, 2016, 10:16:23 am
Just listened to the Glenn Robbins episode and I reckon it one of the best yet. Loads of interesting stuff I didn't know anything about  :icon_beerchug:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#97 Re: Jam Crack
September 01, 2016, 01:13:42 pm
Can we please, please have a sticky for this?

I keep missing the episodes - and the thread, when it's on the home page.

I know this is really lazy of me, but I bet there are loads of folk who'll be missing this gold.

:2thumbsup:

dave

#98 Re: Jam Crack
September 01, 2016, 01:37:49 pm
If you subscribe via iTunes you can automatically get it to download new episodes etc.

Simon W

• menacing presence
#99 Re: Jam Crack
September 08, 2016, 10:48:50 am
John Redhead episode just gone up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal