UKBouldering.com

Jam Crack (Read 79717 times)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#275 Re: Jam Crack
July 22, 2023, 12:51:45 pm
Two different cracks recently, Ondra and Pretty, new and old, pro and am. Both full of keen. Pretty reckoned he was scratching by on 3.5k in 2017, climbing most days!

Duncan campbell

• junky
#276 Re: Jam Crack
July 22, 2023, 09:10:19 pm
Were you seeing the Zippy episode? Can’t see it on Spotify or the podcast app?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#277 Re: Jam Crack
July 22, 2023, 09:34:29 pm
Oh that’s odd, Spotify Ep36, Aug 2017.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#278 Re: Jam Crack
July 22, 2023, 10:34:55 pm
Ah. I think I just read the 2 new jam crack’s recently and thought they were both recent  :chair:

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#279 Re: Jam Crack
September 15, 2023, 12:05:08 pm
I've just seen that there's a new episode out and Niall has snared the darkest of horses, Didier Berthod. Great work, will look forward to listening to that one when I get a chance!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#280 Re: Jam Crack
September 15, 2023, 12:51:05 pm
I’ve been knee deep in these for a few weeks. If you’re listening grimer, nice work.

jakaitch

• regular
#281 Re: Jam Crack
September 15, 2023, 04:20:15 pm
One of the best episodes he's done, bloody brilliant!

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#282 Re: Jam Crack
September 15, 2023, 10:40:33 pm
One of the best episodes he's done, bloody brilliant!

I'm partway through, excellent so far  :popcorn:

On the question of favourite things Niall had written, 2 immediately jump to mind for me - the Dean Potter 1 sheet of toilet paper story, and kidnapping Ben & Jerry.

ali k

• junky
#283 Re: Jam Crack
September 16, 2023, 08:22:44 am
Looking forward to the Didier Berthod interview a lot.

Was turned off the Burgess episodes though. Too many references to casual criminality, almost to the point of glorifying theft and violence. Maybe there’s more to the stories, but I feel for the Cham bar owner whose business got ransacked by them, or the person whose car got nicked just so they could drive somewhere to go climbing.

jakaitch

• regular
#284 Re: Jam Crack
September 16, 2023, 01:41:26 pm

Was turned off the Burgess episodes though. Too many references to casual criminality, almost to the point of glorifying theft and violence. Maybe there’s more to the stories, but I feel for the Cham bar owner whose business got ransacked by them, or the person whose car got nicked just so they could drive somewhere to go climbing.

It was really interesting but I have to agree, its pretty grim how proud he seemed about some awful stuff. Proper neds.

Jerry Morefat

• addict
#285 Re: Jam Crack
September 16, 2023, 07:19:41 pm

I agree. The stories of shop lifting from climbers of that generation have never sat well with me. I'm now intrigued by what you make of the the Didier Berthod interview now though, considering he abandoned his pregnant girlfriend to become a monk.

remus

• forum hero
#286 Re: Jam Crack
September 20, 2023, 08:09:14 am
Had a listen to the Burgess episode last night, Neds indeed! The Didier interview felt pretty different to me, he didn't say it explicitly but I got the impression he has some remorse for how he acted with his partner and daughter. It sounds like he has also gone to some serious effort to reconcile with them.

Also worth noting that Niall's recently started a patreon. Good value for the entertainment levels provided imo! https://www.patreon.com/m/1882217/posts

Ged

• junky
#287 Re: Jam Crack
December 13, 2023, 09:01:23 pm
Has anyone listened to the Leo Houlding double wammy?  Enjoyable.  Some great stories.  I thought it was quite different to a lot of episodes in that Grimer didn;t say much!  Maybe that is because a lot of Leo's stories are fairly well rehearsed (he does that for a living after all) so Grimer just let him get on with it.  But I couldn't help  but feel you occasionally sounded a bit bored Grimer!!

I like the two episode format though.

I really enjoyed the Didier Berthod one.  Had similar thoughts as others about him ditching his partner/daughter, and was amazed with the twist at the end!!!!  Also fascinating (after a child of being forced to be a Catholic)) to hear him talk about his changing views of the religion, and eventually coming to the researched conclusion that Jesus was an entirely fictional character.

grimer

• forum hero
#288 Re: Jam Crack
December 13, 2023, 09:46:23 pm
Hi Ged thanks for the feedback.

Funny observations. Interviews are all different. There are some that are fully like a conversation between two people and others more one-sided.

One of the reasons I enjoy doing JC is cos the chats aren’t like any other chats I have. And one reason is that there’s an unwritten understanding that it’s all about the guest. This can result in, perhaps like this one, the guest telling their stories and not needing much prompting.

Maybe that does make the me character less engaged so am engaging through listening. So I wasn’t bored just subliminally encountered.

But the funny this was I had a listen to it to check the recording and REALLY enjoyed it. Then listened again. Which is very unusual

Ged

• junky
#289 Re: Jam Crack
December 13, 2023, 09:55:37 pm
Maybe sounding bored was an exaggeration! I'm just not used to such a 9ne sided conversation, and there's only so much interested sounding "mmmmm"s that you can do.

Another cracker though. Thanks.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#290 Re: Jam Crack
December 13, 2023, 11:04:41 pm
You should see if Antoine LeMenestrel would talk to you Grimer. Or perhaps get him and Johny in a room to interview each other.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#291 Re: Jam Crack
December 13, 2023, 11:21:07 pm
I really enjoyed the Leo ones, some wild stories and characters.

I'm impressed by Niall as an interviewer and think he generally does a really good job of it - letting the guest tell their tales without needing to make it about him by talking too much or asking self-important questions, and also for simply asking 'what do you mean?' when someone is vague. I'd imagine that can feel a bit awkward to do and in a regular conversation you may just let them roll on without clarifying.

grimer

• forum hero
#292 Re: Jam Crack
December 14, 2023, 08:32:41 am
Thanks Luke :)

I generally try not to interrupt too much.

I am conscious of how stories can lose their life of retold too much but despite me now involving myself in Leo’s stories I didn’t find them oversold and lifeless by any means.

The day before Leo I did Chris B. I listened to a few interviews to learn more and noticed he would retell stories very similarly. Very understandably - I shudder to think the number of interviews he has done or words he has written. But in the interview with him I was very interrupty. This was to try and jar the narrative a bit.

He probably thought I was a bit rude :-)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#293 Re: Jam Crack
December 14, 2023, 09:47:25 am
Thanks Luke :)

I generally try not to interrupt too much.

I am conscious of how stories can lose their life of retold too much but despite me now involving myself in Leo’s stories I didn’t find them oversold and lifeless by any means.

The day before Leo I did Chris B. I listened to a few interviews to learn more and noticed he would retell stories very similarly. Very understandably - I shudder to think the number of interviews he has done or words he has written. But in the interview with him I was very interrupty. This was to try and jar the narrative a bit.

He probably thought I was a bit rude :-)
....and for our younger readers could you explain who Chris B is.....?

remus

• forum hero

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#295 Re: Jam Crack
December 14, 2023, 11:23:33 am
Chrisie Bonners to his mates https://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-climbing-podcast/2023/11/20/jcpc-141-chris-bonington
Aye, sorry Remus, I wasn't being serious...but I suppose I was being a dick  :chair:

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#296 Re: Jam Crack
December 14, 2023, 12:39:45 pm
Chris B says hi

grimer

• forum hero
#297 Re: Jam Crack
December 14, 2023, 12:57:49 pm
From The Ogre..

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#298 Re: Jam Crack
December 14, 2023, 04:32:28 pm
Can anyone remember which has the grunty 'Adam Ondra interview'? Not the real Adam Ondra interview.

Potash

• menacing presence
#299 Re: Jam Crack
December 14, 2023, 05:14:35 pm

I've given the above some thought. I've not listened to this podcast but I did meet (Adrian?) one of the two in Indian Creek. In person his tales were hilarious and his charisma and the copious amount I'd drunk might have smoothed over any qualms about the consequences of their actions on others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal