• Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#150 Re: Jam Crack
November 09, 2018, 04:43:54 pm

andy_e

• forum hero
#151 Re: Jam Crack
November 09, 2018, 04:59:50 pm
Can we have King of the Crag as a story JCPC please?!

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#152 Re: Jam Crack
November 09, 2018, 05:28:59 pm

Yes! And the one about wanking that was pulled from UKC

grimer

• forum hero
#153 Re: Jam Crack
November 10, 2018, 01:52:04 pm

Fuck it, why not!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#154 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 07:40:07 am
I was really looking forwards to the Birkett podcast because I've always found him to be refreshingly honest in an increasingly corporate climbing world.

So I must say that I was pretty disappointed some of the conversation got edited out. Now it may well be that the original recording is way too offensive, but I think a chance has now been missed to open up an avenue of discussion about the things happening in climbing behind the instagram filters.

It seems to me like if you set out to interview someone and they've got something to say then let them say it.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#155 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 09:49:36 am
I enjoyed it regardless but also thought it should have been included. That said, it doesn't take a genius to work out who was in the crosshairs in this instance anyway!

petekitso

• player
#156 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 11:30:11 am
I thought it was brilliant (thanks a lot for doing it/them Niall). The grand national/sheep herding/climbing/universal 'let's be having you' bit is going to stay with me.

I will admit to some curiosity about whoever was getting slagged off but it's an especially interesting listen partly because we don't hear a lot from Birkett and partly because it was pretty informal. If 'the producer' thought it needed editing to protect Dave from not being especially media savvy (or for some other reason) he is best placed to judge that. Also, it's pretty easy to make a guess . . .

JLS3

#157 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 04:35:26 pm
When Niall mentioned about the edit, I thought, god this is going to be really frustrating, knowing there is a subtext to which we weren’t to be party to.
As it turns out, the subject of the edit was very obvious and now our imagination has been allowed to run wild, speculating about just how bad it got. I mean, it’s got to be bad if Grimer thought it needed censoring, right?

In short, I’m now not sure what the censorship has actually achieved given, we know who said it, who it was said about and it was very very bad.

Perhaps we have just witnessed a new way to bad mouth people on the internet while steering well clear of libel laws...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 04:41:31 pm by JLS3 »

tomtom

• forum hero
#158 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 04:45:25 pm
I’ve not listened - did it involve shitting under a route? Or was that some other scandal? 😃

remus

• forum hero
#159 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 05:27:03 pm
Personally I don't think the edit detracted, as other have said the subject was pretty clear. And as per usual he's an interesting character which is what really carries it (along with grimer's top notch skills of course!)

It did make me laugh when he was slagging off James for over grading, then in the next breath bigs himself up for sandbagging all his own routes. They're both the wrong grade!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#160 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 06:48:36 pm
Who is the subject of his ire / mockery / dissing etc??

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#161 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 07:26:36 pm
I can only assume that it's Neil Gresham? Could be way off the mark with that.

Another highly speculative theory could be that Grimer felt that the nature of that bit of the interview wouldn't reflect well on him as a BMC employee? Who knows? I'd love to hear it. Whether he's "right" or "wrong" it would be great to hear Birkett's take on modern climbing.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#162 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 08:09:45 pm
I just want to make it clear that I think Grimer has done an amazing job with this podcast, its really entertaining and costs nowt, so what's not to like.

I Just hope that it doesn't put people off in future airing their views fully. I suppose it just means we'll end up hearing what people think in a more pc, but less authentic way.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#163 Re: Jam Crack
August 09, 2019, 09:01:18 pm
Agreed, what was in there was brilliant. I expect Dave didn't hold back...

Danny

• junky
#164 Re: Jam Crack
August 10, 2019, 11:47:55 am
Funny you all seemed like the Birkett one, because I thought that he generally came across as a bit of a plonk.

JLS3

#165 Re: Jam Crack
August 10, 2019, 12:39:58 pm
There is a difference between liking the podcast and liking the man.
The podcast was a great insight into a man who’s made and indelible mark on UK climbing.
Yes, there are aspects of his character that I personally don’t particularly warm to but you’ve got to respect his authenticity, drive, and the self-believe that took him to the top of the game.
I’m sure if you employed him to build you a wall he’d not fuck about and you be left with a fine wall.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#166 Re: Jam Crack
August 10, 2019, 06:22:11 pm
There is a difference between liking the podcast and liking the man.

:agree: One of the most entertaining Jam Cracks is the John Redhead one and he comes across as a delusional nutter.

grimer

• forum hero
#167 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 10:29:19 am
On reflection, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the edit, but it was on my mind as I was doing the intro, so I did.

Anyway - reasons - prob the bottom line is that Jam Crack is a thing I do in my spare time, a time I have little enough of, and I just about manage to justify the costs, financially and time wise, against whatever weird personal repayment i get from it. Putting that section out, I believed, would have created so much headache for me that it would have tipped the balance to make doing it no longer worth it. I've had that before, with references to, say, drugs or something. Things where leaving it in would add a tiny bit of 'authenticity' to a few people but would seem really odd to a lot of other people.

And also, get away from a bubble of UKB message boards or a few embittered residents of S8, and people would be thinking, 'what's all this about?'.

There are other reasons too: people caught in the crossfire, there is always more than one side to any story, could I be guilty of slander, etc. Also, I want JCPC to be a positive thing in a shitty world, and slagging the skin of someone, while it is perhaps my favourite passtime, was never what I wanted to result from it. Funny, but not that nice.

It was a shame as it was a great piece of interview, funny as fuck with lots of aspects I hadn't heard before etc.But I thiough the rest of it was brilliant too and that Dave came across so great. The shepherd bit especially. I've listened to it loads myself for a chuckle. But that's it, as I have already burned the original recording so you'll never hear it.

Maybe if I DJ at the Works party again this year I'll close my set with it?

PS, whover referred to my 'producer', thank you, that made me laugh.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#168 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 10:47:02 am
Really interesting podcast, it was great to hear more from Dave about his background and what drives him. It’s nice to hear someone talk openly about competition as a motivating factor. My only complaint was that it felt like you were just getting going and another couple of hours and a few more beers and Doritos and you would have got into the real meat!

Unlike others in here I didn’t come away with the podcast with any idea who the subject of whatever was edited out may have been.

grimer

• forum hero
#169 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 10:49:57 am
It was James McHaffie.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#170 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 10:57:21 am
It was a great episode so thanks Grimer. I think you've made the right call. Dave's reminiscences about shepherding as a youngster were magic. 

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#171 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 11:08:34 am
I also liked the bit of competition as its not talked about much. Theres a fleeting mention in that Set in Stone film, talking about the Dove Crag development by Steve Crowe, Karin Magog, Al Wilson et al and Dave was clearly very pleased to have rolled over there and done everything straight off!

dunnyg

• forum hero
#172 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 11:47:46 am
I just listened to the interview bit rather than the intro, didn't notice any "missing" sections. Was good!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#173 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 11:50:38 am
I loved that Set in Stone film. I think I can even remember being a 17 year old and so unbelievably psyched by it that I took the DVD into my 6th form geography lesson and played excerpts to my bemused classmates (I think it was the end of term and we each had to do a presentation to give the teacher an easy lesson and I'd cooked up some relevance to the syllabus).

JLS3

#174 Re: Jam Crack
August 12, 2019, 06:43:10 pm
It was James McHaffie.

Sure now, your just makin’ that up now, so you are.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal