UKBouldering.com

Winter rock climbing around Briancon? (Read 2110 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Winter rock climbing around Briancon?
December 14, 2015, 12:18:18 pm
Meant to be skiing Serre Chevalier over new year and not much snow yet... sure there will be a mega dump before then but just in case should I put my rock boots in?

Is there any (remotely decent) rock climbing near by which will be

a) pleasant enough venue that I like it but more importantly my wife and daughter (whom would far prefer to be skiing) also find it ok
b) warm. I know things are pretty mild at the moment, and if this changes drastically then hopefully the snow sliding will be good, but would be nice not to freeze if climbing.

Is there any bouldering? We are driving out but with the numerous skis etc we have the car will be pretty full so taking just some boots and chalk would be more convenient (and possibly nicer for the family)

Not been sport climbing abroad for years so excuse my complete ignorance of venues.

danm

• junky
#1 Re: Winter rock climbing around Briancon?
December 14, 2015, 01:12:11 pm
I can't remember any particular stand-out venues, but then I've always gone to the region in summer for alpiney type stuff and the valley crags have been a refuge during bad weather. Briancon itself has a few crags almost within walking distance, but from memory as you head south not only are there more crags in the valley, but you descend a little so it gets warmer (Briancon is at around 1500m I think!). Best bet is to try and get a copy of the Haut Durance guide and look for sun-facing crags that aren't too high up. For family fun, there are several good via ferrata in the area, might be an option if chilly as you can keep moving? Some of them are reported to be pretty child friendly.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Winter rock climbing around Briancon?
December 14, 2015, 02:00:19 pm
How far away is Ailefroide? Not sure of altitude, but if you are bouldering the cold might be less of an issue. In the region of Argentierre le Bessee there are some low altitude crags, but they are either west or east facing, so may be a bit low in the steep valley to get any sun. Fressiniere has some more open crags, but is a bit higher up. Excuse the spelling of these place names!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3 Re: Winter rock climbing around Briancon?
December 14, 2015, 02:13:08 pm
According to a friend who lives in Briançon the climbing is fine on most open south-facing crags even in winter, at least below 1200 m. (But then again he only climbs ice/mixed routes in winter ...)

I've only climbed there in August so I only know of north-facing crags.

You could always click around here http://climbingaway.fr/fr/voyager/topos-guides-escalade/briancon-climbs
Most crags in the area is listed with season and grade span.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Winter rock climbing around Briancon?
December 14, 2015, 04:12:10 pm
Cheers all, will look into some of the online stuff. Doubt we would be bothered to drive far. Via ferrata could be good. To be honest it'll have to look pretty bad snow wise for me to take much climbing gear.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal