UKBouldering.com

Bouldering in/near Slough.....?? (Read 3785 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Bouldering in/near Slough.....??
December 03, 2015, 09:51:50 am
I'm overnight in Slough/Windsor on Sunday pre-work stuff down there on Monday.. and is the nearest wall (thats vaguely decent) to that parish the £££Kerching£££ Reading wall or are there any nearish by alternatives?

I'm in Hackney the night before - so I half considered a reminisce to Stone farm on Sunday afternoon 'en route' as it where, but thats no straightforward journey - and it'll probably be wet...

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Bouldering in/near Slough.....??
December 03, 2015, 10:35:32 am
The cheap and very old-school Brunel wall (Uxbridge) or the Westway are both closer than Reading and en-route from 'ackney. I'll probably be at the latter Sunday morning.

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bouldering in/near Slough.....??
December 03, 2015, 10:40:38 am

mark20

• junky
#3 Re: Bouldering in/near Slough.....??
December 03, 2015, 10:41:27 am
I work down that way a bit.
I spent a while looking into walls that come up on the UKC Directory, and it seems that all the closest walls are in sports centres that either have a £10 a year membership fee on top of the cost for a session, or a compulsary induction with a qualified instructor (again, £££).
Amersham was the only wall in the area that didn't need this faff, but it's small and not that good.
Reading is probably the best bet if you can face the traffic

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bouldering in/near Slough.....??
December 03, 2015, 10:44:47 am
The cheap and very old-school Brunel wall (Uxbridge) or the Westway are both closer than Reading and en-route from 'ackney. I'll probably be at the latter Sunday morning.

Thanks Duncan - though I suspect I'll be feeling ill on Saturday morning ;)

My plan (ish) was to head over to the Hotel in Windsor/Slough on sunday afternoon and then try and get a session in on Sunday eve ~ hopefully avoiding crowds/traffic/humans etc... :)

I work down that way a bit.
I spent a while looking into walls that come up on the UKC Directory, and it seems that all the closest walls are in sports centres that either have a £10 a year membership fee on top of the cost for a session, or a compulsary induction with a qualified instructor (again, £££).
Amersham was the only wall in the area that didn't need this faff, but it's small and not that good.
Reading is probably the best bet if you can face the traffic

Cheers Mark - its amazing the big gap on the UKC map of anywhere there (from W.London out to Reading..)...

seankenny

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bouldering in/near Slough.....??
December 03, 2015, 10:46:10 am
The last time I visited the Brunel wall I couldn't climb because I'd not taken the right test - and the testers were only there for twenty minutes on the third Sunday after Michaelmas. So if you fancy a bit of brickedge cruising give them a call first.

Here's a little something to get you in the mood:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal