UKBouldering.com

Shingles (Read 3255 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Shingles
November 10, 2015, 10:16:28 am
I started with a weird pain in my side on Saturday, this spread around to my front on Sunday. It felt like a bruise but without any swelling or colour and I hadn't done anything to cause a bruise. Nothing too bad but all a bit weird... Then last night I discovered a painful rash on my back at the same height on my torso as the pain. Been the quacks this morning and she's signed me off for the week with probable shingles, I've been prescribed aciclovir tabs (proper donkey chokers!) and advised to cover the rash in aciclovir cream. I don't feel ill and the rash is not too bad so I was surprised, especially as research would indicate it's not easily transferable. Anyway, anyone else had it? Am I likely to feel really bad soon? Am I alright to go fishing whilst I'm not in work!?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 10:54:06 am
You're only contagious to people that haven't had Chickenpox, or who are immunosuppressed.
You may not feel ill, just sore.
I had in in Font years ago, and it was very painful but I carried on climbing.

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 11:23:29 am
Had it in 2007 - didn't feel ill really, but the rash was quite painful - red, swollen looked and felt like a load of nettle stings all in a 3x1 inch area on my stomach. Slathered it with cream (don't remember what, given to me by a pharmacy in Italy) twice a day and it went away in about a week. Didn't stop me doing several big alpine rock routes. Unless your case is very different/much worse then fishing should be no problem. Have a good week!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 12:17:37 pm
Am I alright to go fishing whilst I'm not in work!?

If you can get to the water, the answer's yes. Always.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 12:30:04 pm
Fresh air, away from other people, not spreading germs inside the house, sounds like a win.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 01:33:18 pm
My Dad got it years ago over Xmas, but he'd never had chickenpox as a kid. As I remember he was laid up for a fair while with it, so either he got a nasty case, had a bad reaction or was just milking it!

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 01:34:02 pm
I've got some on my roof.

rodma

• forum hero
#7 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 01:43:21 pm

you have a timber clad roof??? that's quite unusual

My Dad got it years ago over Xmas, but he'd never had chickenpox as a kid. As I remember he was laid up for a fair while with it, so either he got a nasty case, had a bad reaction or was just milking it!

my grandad got it in his early 80s and that was the end to his fitness and doing anything physical really. he swole up so much he was almost unrecognisable and it took several weeks for him to recover. i think it hits the elderly a lot worse though.

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 01:55:02 pm

you have a timber clad roof??? that's quite unusual

For the purposes of a cheap pun, yes!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#9 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 02:02:04 pm
Thanks peeps! Feeling a little bit rougher now, but that'll probably be the housework the wife has given me, "seeing as I'm in the house all day"....

Seems it is worse for the elderly.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#10 Re: Shingles
November 10, 2015, 02:42:11 pm
I had it a few years ago. Doc told me that he could prescribe a cream but it would make no difference. Didn't give me any pills. It cleared up in a week or so of it's own accord. It wasn't particularly painful, but a bit warm and tingly. I guess as I had pretty mild symptoms he figured there's no point doing anything. I didn't take any time off work I don't think. Climbing was uncomfortable, but just because my clothing brushed against it.

If I got it again, I'd probably put some Climb On creme, or aloe vera gel on it to cool the warmth.

To this day I've got a tiny patch of skin with no-sensation on it, right in the middle of the rash.

Durbs

• forum hero
#11 Re: Shingles
November 26, 2015, 04:28:33 pm
Late to this party - but likewise had it a couple of years ago, brought on by combination of stress & tiredness.
Apparently it's on the up among younger people.

Hurt quite a bit, got signed off for contagion reasons - felt a bit bad as was working near a pregnant colleague i.e. pretty high risk.

Cleared up pretty quickly once not working (which was the cause of the stress), camomile lotion to ease the pain.

Similarly now have a numb-patch on my back from where the worst of it was.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: Shingles
November 26, 2015, 04:56:54 pm
The tablets don't clear it up any quicker, they can reduce post shingles nerve pain though. But you need to start them within 72 hours of symptoms really.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#13 Re: Shingles
November 26, 2015, 10:07:33 pm
Smug old men have been vaccinated.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal