Rock / Indie
6 (21.4%)
Metal / Punk / Hardcore
3 (10.7%)
Something else
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: August 17, 2004, 12:03:59 pm

What's yer favourite music? (Read 15542 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:03:59 pm
Sorry for the cheesy topic but I'm kinda interested how it pans out... :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:14:10 pm
Techno / trance  :evil:

I love techno but I hate trance with a vengeance...techno is so much more than the shit you hear on commercial radio.

Thing is, musical taste can change so much depending upon mood. Sometimes hard D&B, sometimes Jazz, sometimes something completely different. It's all good....

...apart from trance  :wink:

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#2 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:25:40 pm
Mainly Breaks, Drum 'n' Bass, Techno, Hip-Hop and Punk/Metal stuff.

Hate Pop, Cheesy stuff  and (particularly) UK Garage. :evil:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:28:15 pm
I so hate that question  :evil:

But answered anyway :roll:

I would have to say D+B but it depends on the situation  I also like techno, dub,/reggae and lots of weierd shit.

For bouldering though anything with a fast beat :clapclap:

dave

#4 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:39:04 pm
i voted hiphop cos thats what i'm listening to at the moment most. however i spent most of my formative years listening to old school rave, prodigy, chemical brothers (before they went shit), trance/techno/hoovers/Nu-Energy(i.e. Trade, TDV style stuff)/hard house (i.e. React, Tinrib, Babydoc, jon the dentist etc), Lab4, portishead, jamiroquai (before JK turned into a prick) etc.

Anyone who says they don't like trance i can totaly appreciate that what with the bulk of mainsteam stuff over the past 4 years being total shite, culminating the the public-domain/mauro picotto sytle chart trance/hardhouse commercial shite we were swamped with, but to put that lot to shame best listen to some reactivate compilations, the 97 "Sound of the hoover", or even better captain tinrib or weirdo stuff that really good shit and unique. best thing are the tinrib live sets, and the album "Imintouchwithyourworld" by weirdo. makes excellent training music anall. diversity rules - word!

these days i'm also found listening to early-mid 90s chart dance, yoda mixes, and even craig david, as long as its on a Mos Def remix tip, or 7days. Paz had a disturbing episode being stuck in the back off a car with me and scouse sining along to peter andre's mysterious girl in font - what can i say.....

squeek

• junky
#5 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:39:10 pm
I put something else, because what I listen to is a mixture of most of the other options, but i wouldn't like to commit myself to any.  :)

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:46:42 pm
Surely classical deserves a category of its own, rather than just being "something else"?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:46:46 pm
Sorry should have made the trance thing clearer - I meant proper original trance not cheesey pop euro shite :evil: .

Dave speaks the truth. Stuff like LSG, Lab4, Paul Smails, Reactivate comps etc etc.

dave

#8 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 12:48:35 pm
Fiend you wanna hook yourself up with some tinrib shit. its fly.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:07:16 pm
I've got a load of c1994 trance on vinyl. This was before it went shit, but it's still not that great - I do like earlier stuff like "Age of Love" and "Pacific Symphany", etc.

What else deserves it's own category?

Classical
House & Garage
Jazz
RnB (it's not all pop)
R&B (as in John Lee Hooker, etc)
UK Garage
Reggae

???

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:12:28 pm
Quote from: "squeek"
I put something else, because what I listen to is a mixture of most of the other options, but i wouldn't like to commit myself to any.  :)

I'm sure everyone here listens to a mixture of the options to a certain extent, but it asks to choose a favourite; "ONE that is treated or regarded with special favor or liking" .

I have a nice fence you may want to sit on :D

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:20:06 pm
rock/indie cos the rest are an offense to my ears, can take em in small doses but that's it

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#12 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:32:20 pm
I've been listening to the likes of Nike Drake, Sandy Denny, John Martyn and Kelly Joe Felps a lot lately so i guess you can add folk/rock to that list too. Hey nonny no...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:35:29 pm
n where is the man in black button i ask myself :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:36:23 pm
I can just see you as a morris dancer bonjoy - I downloaded the classic Martyn thang Solid Air t'other day. Quality.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#15 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:37:44 pm
I'm with bubba here apart from you forgot to mention military marching music ranks up alongside euro trance shite. but apart frm that I listen to a mxture of all

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#16 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:38:11 pm
I put something else for the same reason as Squeek.
But have a major soft spot for the old school trance, used to go the Drome in Jerkinbed (Birkenhead) back in the day  :crazy: Don't remember much (!) but still have all the old tapes from '93-'95!
Those days are long gone, did they end with Josh Winks "Higher State of Conciousness"?

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#17 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:40:22 pm
Quote from: "Jim"
I'm with bubba here apart from you forgot to mention military marching music ranks up alongside euro trance shite.

Now now, You can't beat a good brass band. :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:40:26 pm
Quote from: "fatneck"
those days are long gone,

Was in Space, Ibiza earlier this year and heard the Hardfloor mix of Yeke Yeke which went down very well.....

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#19 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:43:00 pm
Nice! Think I've got that on an old Cream compilation...CLASSIC!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#20 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 01:54:51 pm
I've got that on vinyl (hardfloor box set) which is well sort after (apparently)

samJ

• player
    • http://www.wackylabs.net
#21 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 03:31:07 pm
So where are all the metal heads? Not bouldering obviously!   :evil:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#22 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 04:39:51 pm
define metal samj. linkin park? korn? or oldshcool stuff like metallica etc? in my opinion most nu-metal is pretty samey and derivative but sometimes produces the odd good band. i like lots of music but hate hip/hop, cheesy pop and most dance.
emo wasn't a option so i voted summit else. Taking Back Sunday is what i'm listening to at the mo. proper good shit. download 'There's no 'I' In Team' and anyone will be hooked. :wink:

samJ

• player
    • http://www.wackylabs.net
#23 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 04:58:28 pm
Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
define metal samj

No, don't want to  :cry:

All of the above can be good, preferring the heavier stuff at the moment (slipknot, drowning pool), mixed in with some classics, (led, ac/dc). Mind you I've also got some norah jones, joss stone, jamiroqui, the genius (thanks for that tip whoever it was, that liquid swords albumn kicks ass) and some frank sinatra in the car at the moment - you could say my tastes are eclectic..  :wink:

But Eclectic wasn't one of the options... :silly:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#24 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 05:06:59 pm
vol 3 rocks best slipknot album ever in my opinion. u like 'poison the well' they're heavy as fuck but melodic at times as well.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#25 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 05:36:19 pm
'There's no 'I' In Team'

no, but there's an "m" and an "e" and that spell's "me"

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#26 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 17, 2004, 07:02:22 pm
Was in Space, Ibiza earlier this year and heard the Hardfloor mix of Yeke Yeke which went down very well.....

Ive got that i think on white label from early 90's, very classy, still gettin love on the dancefloor its good to hear.......not that i do any of the nonsense anymore, got me dog to think about

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#27 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 01:27:32 am
Well...

Seems to be a fair spread of votes there, objections to the categories aside  :wink:

I posted this because I do think that certain music goes well with climbing and particularly the younger, funkier climbing scene rather than the ron hill wearing classic rock listening old bumblies.

The way I see it, hip-hop, breaks, dnb, techno, electronica, and punk/metal all seem to go well with climbing, from what I've seen on videos, this forum, people I know etc. Personally, I find hip-hop and punk/metal go best with bouldering, the latter also goes well with training, dnb and techno go best with routes, and electronica goes best when your ears have started hurting  :wink:

Graeme

• menacing presence
#28 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 08:07:01 am
Taking Back Sunday is what i'm listening to at the mo. proper good shit. download 'There's no 'I' In Team' and anyone will be hooked.

No way, I've seen them on Scuzz a few times and can't stand their stuff, I find ther's too many bands about like them, similar kind of thing to story of the year and yellow card?? If I'm thinking of the band.

Personally stick to stuff like black flag, alkaline trio, the vandals, dropkickmurphys and rancid etc.

Used to listen to loads of heavy stuff like neurosis, iron monkey raging speedhorn after going through the nu-metal phase.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#29 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 12:24:19 pm
oh no, graeme, oh no :cry:  Taking Back Sunday are one the few bands in a saturated and totally ripped off genre that are genuinely talented and not just the usual 'my bird left i'm so sad' emo rubbish. story of the year want shot. they are a fuckin disgrace. they're an awful cross between new found glory and busted. same goes for yellowcard. neither are anything like Taking Back Sunday to be honest.

webbo

• forum hero
#30 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 12:48:46 pm
i've just read in sundays independant that they've found the missing vanille tapes by the clash.these are the band playing the tracks from london calling as a live set,before it got mixed and released as L.C.
will this be the album of the decade when its released. :oldgit:

Matt Gush

#31 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 02:08:12 pm
Techno all the way (Detroit stuff mainly - Jeff Mills and the like), though Hiphop comes a very close second.  Also like electronica in general especially Electro (Dave Clark elecro boogie - classic).  In fact I'll listen to most stuff 'cept for rock and pop shite.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#32 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 04:46:52 pm
Taking back Sunday the one's that did the video with Flavor Flav?
Take it you don't like NFG then either?
I thought they were quite good, latest albums a let down, sticks and stones was ok though.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#33 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 05:24:23 pm
not a big fan of NFG to be honest. flavor flav? is that the black dude with the random goggles on. if so yeah. to be honest that single isn't the strongest song they've done but still pretty damn gud. u like Funeral for a Friend at all?

irish si

• menacing presence
#34 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 06:23:46 pm
As my dancin partners will verify, Its all about the techno, minimilism with personal touches, mills, Richie, green velvet, joey beltram, thats what were talking about. I like techno that has something else, its got to be 'unique' which is where mills and hawtin are miles ahead!

female vocalists are good to :P

Simon S

• menacing presence
#35 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 09:17:36 pm
Yeke yeke, thats going back some time ago! Still, the stuff back in the day is still well worth a listen(better than a lot of the stuff put out recently or am I getting old?). I've got a very early ministry of sound album thats been a favourite for about 8 years. One cd of bukem, and two others, but its the bukem one that gets played most! What d&b should I be looking for these days?
Looking forward to the new prodigy album.   :P

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#36 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 18, 2004, 09:20:36 pm
I like the ruff d&b these days - Kenny Ken / Bryan G and stuff like that - it rocks.

Also like the weird stuff like Squarepusher / Aphex too...

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#37 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 19, 2004, 09:12:31 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Also like the weird stuff like Squarepusher / Aphex too...

Aphex Twin does some quality stuff- Have you tried that 26 Mixes for Cash album? Some good weird remixes of other peoples stuff.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#38 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 19, 2004, 09:20:30 am
Aye, got that one - he's also released stuff under loads of pseudonyms ... check his output:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Aphex+Twin

drukqs is top quality - love it, a mixture of Satie-esque piano pieces and jackhammer breakbeats.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#39 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 19, 2004, 09:40:53 am
Cool. I was eyeing the Drukqs album in the shop the other day and may have to have a purchase.

Some of us  fools still buy our music in shops!  :wink:  (and the odd one from Itunes, although I've gotta ditch it and get SoulSeek)

screwyouI'mfromderby

• regular
#40 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 19, 2004, 10:43:37 am
Best musucal revolution I stumbled into recently was country via the late Johnny Cash.

Didn't bother with 26 remixes as I had most of them on single from the first time around anyway. Anybody want to buy some off me? The MBM single went ages ago as the Orbital mix gets the kids up everytime; like they discovered it themselves!

Graeme

• menacing presence
#41 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 23, 2004, 07:59:27 am
u like Funeral for a Friend at all?

Yeah, to be honest there about the only "new" band I've heard for a while that I actually like.

I think I'm just getting old.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#42 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 23, 2004, 12:27:58 pm
Quote:
u like Funeral for a Friend at all?

Yeah, to be honest there about the only "new" band I've heard for a while that I actually like.

hell yeah graeme, funeral rock. my fav band ever.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#43 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 23, 2004, 07:08:27 pm
Quote from: "Simon S"
Looking forward to the new prodigy album.   :P

Its pretty lame really, been out on the interweb for a while now, had a quick listen and haven't listened again. might be good with a few re-listening tho but I doubt it

dave

#44 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 23, 2004, 07:15:22 pm
anyone heard the 213 album (hard way) out today?

its snoop, warren G and my man Nate to the dizzogg on the mic - with that combo it should be bo, but i bet it ends up being wackiddy-wack.

BenF

• forum hero
#45 Re: What's yer favourite music?
August 24, 2004, 08:11:55 am
No, but I did get the Wall of Sound - Two Culture Clash thingy today.  Really neat CD, not dissimilar in vibe to the Nice up the Dance comp that came out last year from Soul Jazz.  Cool mix of dancehally/raggae type shit from a range of producers and artists.

From being a full on techno head a while back I'm drifting into a wider range of styles - whilst still liking the harder stuff of course.  Been appreciating more hiphop and dancehall stuff for a while.  Must be the wannabee yardie in me...  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal