UKBouldering.com

Climbing specific circuit training (Read 2568 times)

36chambers

• forum hero
Climbing specific circuit training
November 03, 2015, 03:48:47 pm
Hi all,

Myself and a few others have managed to secure a weekly, hour-long, slot at a university sports hall for which we can run (non-profit) "climbing specific circuit training".

The general aim to do antagonistic training as well as general body conditioning and fitness.

So far we are 3 weeks in and average about 18 people (practically all of whom climb frequently and we actually know already).

Each week has been slightly different, but an example structure is:
- 10 minute warm up (jogging in a circle, high knees, touch the floor etc., burpees, lunges to the other side of the hall and so on)
- 30 minute station orientated exercises (for example 6 stations, each with a specific exercises [e.g. push ups, tricep dips, one legged squats] and one rest station), spend a minute at each station and move on.
- 10 minute cool down and stretches

I was just wondering if anyone has ran (or attended) any sort of circuit training for climbers before and if they can give any advice on our approach and/or suggest some good antagonistic exercises? (equipment wise, we have lots of mats, free weights and step boxes).

Cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Climbing specific circuit training
November 03, 2015, 04:16:17 pm
Sounds like a good idea.

Assume you have already, but if you google climbing antagonistic exercise there are loads of links.

36chambers

• forum hero
#2 Re: Climbing specific circuit training
November 04, 2015, 10:09:34 am
Yep I've done a considerable amount of research on antagonistic exercises to help with my own niggles. I suppose I'm just wondering how we can (or whether we should) include things like reverse wrist curls and rotator cuff exercises into the session, and whether it's worth trying to fit everything into each session or have varying themes over the weeks.

thanks anyway :)

TheTwig

• stalker
#3 Re: Climbing specific circuit training
November 09, 2015, 01:40:24 am
I would suggest circuit style training might not be the best thing for some injury prevention things like reverse curls/theraband stuff/elbow rotation stuff. Most of the research on for example the golfers/tennis elbow exercises is done using a certain rep/set structure. Maybe have a extra bit on the end after the circuits?

you could debate how climbing specific they are but I'm sure having a core/back station etc would probably be better than nothing, eg reverse planks, knees to elbows situps etc

siderunner

• regular
  • more of a route-climber than boulderer, but hey
#4 Re: Climbing specific circuit training
November 19, 2015, 09:40:13 pm
I think it is worthwhile to do reverse wrist curls and some shoulder stability every time. Partly to engrain the habit.

I'd do it as part of the warmdown, as the higher psych levels in the main circuit arent appropriate.

For shoulder stability i currently like: external rotations (lying on side w dumbbell is ok, theraband better); sphinx (12 reps holding each 3s at top squeezing shoulder blades down &together); kneeling alt arm/leg superman; bent over reverse flyes. Those are some that I still do regularly from my 3 months of expensive shoulder physio at the start of the year :-)

Shoulder press (or clean& press?) and shrugs also great in the main circuit.

One legged deadlift might be a good addition to the circuit.

I should caveat the above by highlighting I'm a complete punter (os 6c / rp 7a). Sadly i am something of an expert on getting injured and rehabbed, especially in the shoulder dept, having done it 4 times over the last 10 years (I'm a slow learner!).

ghisino

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Climbing specific circuit training
November 19, 2015, 09:59:00 pm
i use to do a short circuit training to end teenager climbing classes, mainly as they seem to enjoy getting properly smashed and otherwise they would just sit looking at their phones...

i also do something that could vaguely remind a circuit training at the end of some bouldering sessions, mostly when i'm fat and far from peak shape - though not really something structured.

exercises i like in either or both situations:
-anything involving a physio ball
-TRX style messing around with ropes
-turkish getups
-one handed snatch
-any kind of burly climbing-like moves with jugs and good slopers, no feet.
-burpee+pullup combo (jumping to a pullup bar)
-jumping at some wooden balls in front of me, swing forward and try to hold the back swing as far as i can before slipping off.
-basic exercises on the floor

36chambers

• forum hero
#6 Re: Climbing specific circuit training
November 20, 2015, 02:31:00 pm
Cheers for the reply guys, much appreciated.

I think it is worthwhile to do reverse wrist curls and some shoulder stability every time. Partly to engrain the habit.

I'd do it as part of the warmdown, as the higher psych levels in the main circuit arent appropriate.

For shoulder stability i currently like: external rotations (lying on side w dumbbell is ok, theraband better); sphinx (12 reps holding each 3s at top squeezing shoulder blades down &together); kneeling alt arm/leg superman; bent over reverse flyes. Those are some that I still do regularly from my 3 months of expensive shoulder physio at the start of the year :-)

Shoulder press (or clean& press?) and shrugs also great in the main circuit.

One legged deadlift might be a good addition to the circuit.

I should caveat the above by highlighting I'm a complete punter (os 6c / rp 7a). Sadly i am something of an expert on getting injured and rehabbed, especially in the shoulder dept, having done it 4 times over the last 10 years (I'm a slow learner!).

We had optional reverse wrists curls at the "rest" station one week, so we may continue to do that. External rotations (using dumbbells) and kneeling alt arm/leg superman have both been used too. Although the superman seemed a tad too easy compared to the rest of the circuit. But I'm glad you mentioned it as I think it's pretty good.

Will look into all the other suggestions :)

i use to do a short circuit training to end teenager climbing classes, mainly as they seem to enjoy getting properly smashed and otherwise they would just sit looking at their phones...

i also do something that could vaguely remind a circuit training at the end of some bouldering sessions, mostly when i'm fat and far from peak shape - though not really something structured.

exercises i like in either or both situations:
-anything involving a physio ball
-TRX style messing around with ropes
-turkish getups
-one handed snatch
-any kind of burly climbing-like moves with jugs and good slopers, no feet.
-burpee+pullup combo (jumping to a pullup bar)
-jumping at some wooden balls in front of me, swing forward and try to hold the back swing as far as i can before slipping off.
-basic exercises on the floor

Physio ball and TRX are my favourite devices for exercises at home, unfortunately the sports hall doesn't have either of them. The other suggestions look good though, thank you.

36chambers

• forum hero
#7 Re: Climbing specific circuit training
November 20, 2015, 02:45:02 pm
Being inspired by Nibiles training posts on a different thread, I've been doing a bit of research on Finishes and Tabata workouts.

I'm going to experiment on myself first for a while and then see whether we can throw in a quick routine towards the end of a session. It'll be interesting to see how well it goes down. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal