UKBouldering.com

Crag husbandry (split topic) (Read 8115 times)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 20, 2015, 04:10:56 pm
Did the removal of the rocks at the start of 'thick end of the wedge' make home cooking harder?

cofe

• forum hero
#1 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 20, 2015, 04:26:47 pm
Apparently, though I've not tried it.

Bit of an eyesore too.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:38:32 pm by cofe »

andyd

• forum hero
#2 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 20, 2015, 05:27:01 pm
Hmmm. Not sure I'm ok with this.

andyd

• forum hero
#4 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 20, 2015, 06:56:33 pm
Yep. Not sure they should feel too proud of themselves there.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 21, 2015, 08:55:36 am
Yes Home Cooking has a lower start point so is harder.
It’s a fair criticism about the landing work. I don’t think either of us was proud of it and the name is a reflection of that. The problem was that the big block got stuck half way between its original position and anything useful leaving a mess and a worse than original landing. The corner broke off the lower block whilst levering against it to move the block on the left. In retrospect it was too big a block, we didn’t have ideal equipment and due to the block getting stuck we had to finish moving it in the dark. There are probably several morals to the story, but one is don’t start trying to move something unless you are totally sure you can finish it well. The ins and outs of what is legit to move in the first place is a different question and again in retrospect this one arguably falls the wrong side of the line. FWIW Ned’s a good workman but it was my idea.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 21, 2015, 12:34:56 pm
I think if you can't move it by hand you shouldn't move it. No idea what you were using but bars are going to damage things.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#7 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 21, 2015, 01:57:52 pm
I think if you can't move it by hand you shouldn't move it. No idea what you were using but bars are going to damage things.

How many hands?  :???:

I'm sure, I hope, there'll be a lot of thought and consideration brought to bear here, about what is acceptable and what isn't. I've moved blocks - albeit smaller ones - left others in place, removed moss etc. I'm sure Jon and Ned will be gutted about the mess.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 21, 2015, 03:57:48 pm
We're not all fucking hippies, they won't give a toss about moving it. People don't care, they climb on damp rock, banned crags, and move boulders with chain blocks. Climbers don't all go round making love to flowers

andyd

• forum hero
#9 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 21, 2015, 04:47:45 pm
We're not all fucking hippies, they won't give a toss about moving it. People don't care, they climb on damp rock, banned crags, and move boulders with chain blocks. Climbers don't all go round making love to flowers
I don't understand your long winded metaphor...It suggests that because some people do bad stuff it's ok to do it too. You'll agree that this is nonsense I'm sure.

Bonjoy. I think I'm right in saying that you were responsible for the eatswood digging too? This I approve of. I'm not trying to incite a lynching. I believe that this was an unintended outcome. I think it's worth this being spoken of though. It'd be shitty if new climbers thought that this was standard, accepted practice. This visual change will thankfully mellow with time.
I'm not on board with the removal of a starting block to create a new problem though. To take out the starting block of the joker to create a more logical start to the ace wouldn't be ok (I realise this is a less than ideal example).
We've lost home cooking in order to 'fill in a gap'. This unlike the mess was foreseeable, and to me seems a little selfish.

r2d2

• regular
#10 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 21, 2015, 08:36:07 pm
One of the interesting things about this is I can imagine if a bouldering newbie had done something similar I'm sure the fall out and reaction on here would have been a lot stronger. Probably some sort of cyber ukb lynching. I don't know what dense loner is on about, and I guess it's just trolling. A few years ago I watched someone dig out the foot of Sean's arête on curbar, I asked them what they were doing and pointed out it looked a right mess, after they failed to make it work I filled it back in. So that's one person who cares at least.

dave

#11 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 08:49:16 am
One of the interesting things about this is I can imagine if a bouldering newbie had done something similar I'm sure the fall out and reaction on here would have been a lot stronger. Probably some sort of cyber ukb lynching.

The difference here is a newbie wouldn't have a track record of putting hours and hours in developing new problems and routes over the years, involving ground work, crag cleanups, rebolting, and hence still has made a massively positive net contribution to Peak climbing.

Bonjoy (and to a lesser extent Ned) has put up tons of new problems over the years, and a fair few of them have involved patioing or moving blocks, and the vast majority of them are done sensitively without any problems. Jon has already stuck he head above the parapet and come forward with a contrite account of this one, which is to be applauded (I don't see the Badger Cove chipper coming forward to be held accountable), and taking the broader view it's remarkable given Jon's output of new problems that this is pretty much the only one* I can think of that could be chalked up as an error of judgement.

Back to the rock in question, I don't know if it impacts on the stander, it's a shame if it does but I don't know it well enough having only had a play on the stander one years ago. Always a shame when a standup problem/route is "traded in" for a harder problem (example being the rock now under Fossil Wall). The home cooking landing does look a mess, maybe something could be done with trying to tame the bright white fresh grit, burnishing it with peat/soil etc?

*Only other potentially questionable one I can think of it the eatswood excavation. That's probably more a matter of taste.

abarro81

• forum hero
#12 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 09:08:33 am
What got chipped at badger?

T_B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 09:11:51 am
Someone comfortised the top pocket on BBB

Three Nine

• forum hero
#14 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 09:28:02 am

Comfortizing holds is always a good thing.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#15 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 12:16:09 pm

:no:

In which galaxy might that be?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#16 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 12:45:22 pm
One of the interesting things about this is I can imagine if a bouldering newbie had done something similar I'm sure the fall out and reaction on here would have been a lot stronger. Probably some sort of cyber ukb lynching.

The difference here is a newbie wouldn't have a track record of putting hours and hours in developing new problems and routes over the years, involving ground work, crag cleanups, rebolting, and hence still has made a massively positive net contribution to Peak climbing.

I don't think we should relativise this Dave. Bad practice is bad practice, and needs to be flagged up as such. Newbies tend to look up to/be influenced by oldies regarding what is/isn't acceptable.

I think Jon's post is a bit less of an apology than it could have been, in my opinion, but it seems pretty clear there's a fair degree of chagrin/embarrassment in this case, and posting up about it here is honourable. It gives us all a good chance to review things properly, without having to make allowances.

I removed a load of blocks from beneath the end of "The DTs", some of which required a little digging out. Thankfully for me, they rolled discretely on their way down the hill, and it's probably difficult to tell that anything was disturbed at all. Jon and Ned weren't as lucky.

The question which this forum can help address, is what is legit to touch - if anything - and what isn't? I really don't like patioing - but you could say that conflicts with block moving in any context.

The best policy is surely, as always, try to leave the crag as you found it.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#17 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 12:54:28 pm

A one where its nice to climb on comfortable holds not nasty sharp ones. Oh wait, that's this galaxy.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#18 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 01:03:03 pm

A one where its nice to climb on comfortable holds not nasty sharp ones. Oh wait, that's this galaxy.

I think comfortising holds is most definitely not good practice! It's chipping. The left hand pocket on Ben's Roof being a very good example. I presume you are trolling.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#19 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 01:10:02 pm

I don't think we should relativise this Dave. Bad practice is bad practice, and needs to be flagged up as such. Newbies tend to look up to/be influenced by oldies regarding what is/isn't acceptable.

I think Jon's post is a bit less of an apology than it could have been, in my opinion, but it seems pretty clear there's a fair degree of chagrin/embarrassment in this case, and posting up about it here is honourable. It gives us all a good chance to review things properly, without having to make allowances.

I removed a load of blocks from beneath the end of "The DTs", some of which required a little digging out. Thankfully for me, they rolled discretely on their way down the hill, and it's probably difficult to tell that anything was disturbed at all. Jon and Ned weren't as lucky.

The question which this forum can help address, is what is legit to touch - if anything - and what isn't? I really don't like patioing - but you could say that conflicts with block moving in any context.

On the contrary, I think Bonjoy's post is a sufficient apology for the act of creating a messy look at the bottom of the crag. Recognition of good intentions going awry. Shit happens sometimes.
I think it is too simplistic to say that you should "leave the crag as you found it", especially when you say above that you yourself moved some boulders and happened to get lucky with their dispersal.

I'm with Andy though that it seems selfish and elitist to change what is (I assume) a popular Johnny Dawes 7A in order to make way for a more difficult sitter.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#20 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 01:15:11 pm

For once im not. We're talking about rocks - people make houses out of them and stuff. If running one's crowbar along an edge makes the problem more enjoyable then I'd like it to be done please!

I think comfortising holds is most definitely not good practice! It's chipping. The left hand pocket on Ben's Roof being a very good example. I presume you are trolling.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#21 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 01:24:54 pm
And before what I said can be taken the wrong way, I don't think Jon is selfish and elitist on the whole. Any friend of BeeDogs is a friend of mine.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#22 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 01:31:32 pm

On the contrary, I think Bonjoy's post is a sufficient apology for the act of creating a messy look at the bottom of the crag. Recognition of good intentions going awry. Shit happens sometimes.
I think it is too simplistic to say that you should "leave the crag as you found it", especially when you say above that you yourself moved some boulders and happened to get lucky with their dispersal.

I'm with Andy though that it seems selfish and elitist to change what is (I assume) a popular Johnny Dawes 7A in order to make way for a more difficult sitter.

Will, please don't attack my post as though it's a definitive statement. It is my opinion, as what you proffer is your's. I've both acknowledged how honourable it was of Bonjoy to flag this up, and also that they were unfortunate - where other people, including me, might not have been. I've also added some criticism - which I think it would be better for us all to do, whether good or bad, in order to establish a more representative spread of opinion.

I have also not simply stated that "we should leave the crags as we find them". I have suggested what I believe to be best policy. A good guiding principle.

Perhaps you disagree?

r2d2

• regular
#23 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 22, 2015, 03:21:04 pm

Bonjoy (and to a lesser extent Ned) has put up tons of new problems over the years, and a fair few of them have involved patioing or moving blocks, and the vast majority of them are done sensitively without any problems. Jon has already stuck he head above the parapet and come forward with a contrite account of this one, which is to be applauded (I don't see the Badger Cove chipper coming forward to be held accountable), and taking the broader view it's remarkable given Jon's output of new problems that this is pretty much the only one* I can think of that could be chalked up as an error of judgement.

Back to the rock in question, I don't know if it impacts on the stander, it's a shame if it does but I don't know it well enough having only had a play on the stander one years ago. Always a shame when a standup problem/route is "traded in" for a harder problem (example being the rock now under Fossil Wall). The home cooking landing does look a mess, maybe something could be done with trying to tame the bright white fresh grit, burnishing it with peat/soil etc?

*Only other potentially questionable one I can think of it the eatswood excavation. That's probably more a matter of taste.

I'm pretty sure that argument / statement doesn't stand up to closer inspection.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#24 Re: Crag husbandry (split topic)
October 23, 2015, 12:20:38 am

Will, please don't attack my post as though it's a definitive statement. It is my opinion, as what you proffer is your's. I've both acknowledged how honourable it was of Bonjoy to flag this up, and also that they were unfortunate - where other people, including me, might not have been. I've also added some criticism - which I think it would be better for us all to do, whether good or bad, in order to establish a more representative spread of opinion.

I have also not simply stated that "we should leave the crags as we find them". I have suggested what I believe to be best policy. A good guiding principle.

Perhaps you disagree?

Apologies if that post looked like an attack, Dave. It wasn't supposed to. I still think your post was a little inconsistent in that it advocated leaving things be, yet you'd just described an occasion where you'd modified a landing. I will agree that we disagree though!

Personally I think that some crag modification can be perfectly justifiable if it is done with sensitivity to the environment, the rock, local ethics, and existing routes/problems. When we do new problems there is often some act of creation that is necessary to uncover the nature of a climb. This might be trimming neighbouring tree branches, flattening landings, digging out a top out etc. Provided this is done sensibly and sensitively then I think its fine.

In the case above, I would even go as far as to say that levering a block out of the way and causing some short term messiness that could be camouflaged by rubbing peat into the newly exposed grit would be acceptable to create a new, high-quality problem that will be enjoyed for many decades to come. In the picture I've seen the damage looks fairly analogous to any other fresh rockfall, which are just an ordinary part of the life of any rocky outcrop. The damage will fade and become less obvious in a relatively short space of time. My main objection was that a longstanding and seemingly significant problem has been altered in the act of creating a new hard thing for the wads.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal