UKBouldering.com

D'ya like Daghs? (Read 26529 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#50 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:14:19 am
I don't need to research it slackers, I've never met a single woman who says I'm 27 my biological clocks ticking. Change that to 37 and you've got an altogether different conversation.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#51 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:17:53 am
Or insert the word couple where I wrote woman above, in line with my original point.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#52 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:19:16 am
I don't need to research it slackers, I've never met a single woman who says I'm 27 my biological clocks ticking. Change that to 37 and you've got an altogether different conversation.

Your sample is likely biased.

And there is a difference between saying "my biological clock is ticking" and planning to have children before your fertility starts to decline.  Look around you there are a lot of people <37-40 who already have kids ,albeit not in your social circle(s), many of which will have been planned (and many which won't have been).

Or insert the word couple where I wrote woman above, in line with my original point.

You could use "Modify" to change your post.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:29:06 am by slackline »

tomtom

• forum hero
#53 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:29:00 am
Anyway... If you get a dog Paul, I hope you name it Lucky :)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#54 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:35:39 am
Analysis of over 165,000 pet insurance quotes reveals Bella as the most popular name for female dogs and Alfie as the top favourite for male dogs

although it is still possible that Paul could choose the name Lucky

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#55 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:49:28 am
assisted conception is a ballache nor is it guaranteed.

As you approach 40, even unassisted is a ballache.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#56 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 10:48:24 am
Paul - interesting that you're talking about pros/cons of kids at such a relatively young age  :jab:
Ehhhhh looking at Paul's post the conclusion was: there aren't any ;)

Bella is an okay name for a dog. Alfie is fairly terrible, as is Lucky.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#57 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 10:57:42 am
I don't modify my posts. You can read what I originally wrote.

Why are you replying to my posts to wit what you think I wrote? Read my original post it mentions nothing about pre planned or otherwise births before the age of 40. It mentions talk of couples who have been actively against having children suddenly approaching 40 and changing their minds when they suddenly realise they're not immortal and one day may actually die, tho I suppose you've got random data proving that not everybody actually dies. That was my original observation. Which holds true, rather remarkably. Tho impending death may not be the only motivating factor.

Dogs no.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#58 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 11:14:52 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#59 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 11:40:39 am
Back on the subject of dogs, we got our first back in October (1yr old collie x beagle x spaniel) and she's ace and hasn't affected my climbing at all(yet).  Mind you, she's totally relaxed, likes sleeping, travels well and likes other people and dogs (but not enough to want to chase them).  However, I've only been bouldering since we got her so I can't say what she'll be like come route season, and we live in the Highlands where there's no restrictions on where we can go with her and very few other climbers to piss off.

So far, I've learnt that with the right dog it's totally fine (e.g. with my parent's Jack Russels it would be impossible) and you don't really know what you're getting til it's too late.  It does make you have to get organised (same way as a kid would I guess) - 2/3 walks a day, fitting in with work, extra kit to carry around etc. 

Go for it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#60 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 01:15:30 pm
If you have started to argue with Slackline then you have already lost.

His logic is sound.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#61 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 05:07:26 pm
Read my original post it mentions nothing about pre planned or otherwise births before the age of 40. It mentions talk of couples who have been actively against having children suddenly approaching 40 and changing their minds when they suddenly realise they're not immortal and one day may actually die, tho I suppose you've got random data proving that not everybody actually dies.

Ok, lets look at what you originally wrote shall we...

Why would people say 30? There's no reason they'd say it at that age apart from to try and be trendy.  They say it til they realise the females getting to 40 and her days in that department are getting numbered.

You asked why Paul observed people starting to think about kids at the age of 30 because their time was running out, in writing the above you demonstrated your complete ignorance of the fact that female fertility starts to decline at the age of 30, not 40.

I provided you with the answer to your question as to why people start considering kids at the age of 30 and its not because they want to "try and be trendy" its because getting pregnant doesn't happen overnight, at best you have roughly twelve pops a year but jobs and life can get in the way of that, then factor in that fertilised eggs aren't always viable etc. etc..  If you can't conceive naturally in a two or three years common medical wisdom is to then consider assisted conception.  Assisted conception is not a pleasant experience for either person, much, much more so for the woman, and itself has diminishing success rates as age increases (my wife and I went through five and a half years of it), so many people use existing knowledge to inform their decisions about planning their future lives.  By the sound of it you don't know many of these people, or if you do its not a topic you've conversed over.  But lets take this thought (that people can use existing knowledge) onto a common feature of your postings...

That was my original observation. Which holds true, rather remarkably. Tho impending death may not be the only motivating factor.

I haven't disagreed that this is your experience, I have pointed out that there are others who have different experiences to you (e.g. Paul sees it happening at 30; other people who do start thinking of kids at that age).  You often reply in this manner...

I've never met a single woman who says I'm 27 my biological clocks ticking. Change that to 37 and you've got an altogether different conversation.

...but believe it or not your observations are not the be all and end all of the worlds experience, there are many others out there in the world today and many who have come before us and because we can communicate in written form we're able to share and accumulate that knowledge and information.  Thus just because you observe one thing doesn't make it correct.  Its unfortunately a common theme in many of your posts, you (or one of your mates) don't see/do/experience X/Y/Z and  therefore whoever else is posting must be wrong.

You don't need to be so myopic and only focus on your experience, although maybe you're writing your own version of the works of Michael de Montaigne who famously started from the proposition What do I know? and who's excellent essays are based on his experiences (well worth reading them by the way).  There is perhaps more than a passing similarity...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#62 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 06:08:30 pm
I bet Montaigne never claimed to have done Conviction though.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#63 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 06:20:51 pm
you can't educate pork

a dense loner

• forum hero
#64 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 06:54:11 pm
You're quite clearly out of your mind slackers? And where did you get that pic? I want it back!

tomtom

• forum hero
#65 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 07:03:03 pm
You look a bit ruff in the top pic Dense ;)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#66 D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 07:10:43 pm
Yes, but...
1/ Why does Montaigne have a spoon on his nose?
2/ Why is Dense's statement regarding Slacker's in or out of mind status, punctuated as a question?
3/ What is the Porcine connection and was Cammeron involved.
4/ Who did invent the Ironing Board?
And finally:
5/ Who was that masked man?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#67 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 07:24:34 pm
It all means WMD are hidden in Iraq and we MUST invade.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#68 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 07:27:12 pm
Wasn't that slackers response to one of my observations about ten pin bowling?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#69 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 22, 2015, 09:48:10 am
You're quite clearly out of your mind slackers?

For your own piece of mind I'm not out of mine. I answered your original question with evidence to support it and then because you couldn't recognise this and kept on going on about 'your experience' took the time to explain how I had answered your original question and that your experience might not be representative of the rest of the world.

And where did you get that pic? I want it back!

Its been on Wikipedia since 2005.

The other picture has been on Andy Popp Flickr account since 2008

Paul B

• forum hero
#70 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
January 21, 2016, 04:03:26 pm
Drawing a line under the Dense/Slack-bot special time above...

I've got two greyhounds.  Don't get a greyhound as a crag dog.  They don't like walking very far & can't scramble over rocks or stiles.  And if they get a cut all their skin falls off immediately.  But they are lovely little (big) guys.

I ignored you; on Saturday we picked up a 5 yr old, F, ex-racing greyhound. The way the rescue works she's not really officially ours for a while but I can't imagine that either of us will be taking her back.

Certain things are challenging atm (but even after doing a lot of reading, not the things we expected [i.e seperation], mainly 'statuing') but it's v. early days.

Nina - Day 3 - Innocent? by travelswithmyt4, on Flickr

That rug now has bald patches; the only bad thing she's done so far. Going up stairs is easy (3 strides  :o ) down, less so.

metal arms

• menacing presence
#71 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
January 22, 2016, 09:55:32 am
She's beautiful!  Ours learnt downstairs fairly quickly, it just doesn't look very elegant.  We were foster carers for our second one, and even though he's got some issues character we couldn't bear to give him back so within a week were his proper owners.

Paul B

• forum hero
#72 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
January 22, 2016, 01:11:04 pm
She's beautiful!  Ours learnt downstairs fairly quickly, it just doesn't look very elegant.  We were foster carers for our second one, and even though he's got some issues character we couldn't bear to give him back so within a week were his proper owners.

I have to say it's currently testing for none of the reasons we envisaged; she started walking absolutely fine but this has progressively been objected to with 'statueing' at earlier and earlier points and now the two thresholds to the house make her do an amazing impression of an immovable rock! This obviously presents issues for toileting (not good).

Separation (currently) doesn't seem like a problem. Up until today we've not left her more than a few hours. Today I've set up Alfred (App) which effectively works as a baby cam / monitor. She's moved exactly twice since 8.30AM, both times to roll over.

That said, given the change in world's she's having right now I'm fairly impressed and there'd been nothing resembling a grumble etc. when feeding / waking / lifting (26.6kg!).

ardeer

• player
#73 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
January 22, 2016, 01:47:08 pm

I have to say it's currently testing for none of the reasons we envisaged; she started walking absolutely fine but this has progressively been objected to with 'statueing' at earlier and earlier points and now the two thresholds to the house make her do an amazing impression of an immovable rock! This obviously presents issues for toileting (not good).

Separation (currently) doesn't seem like a problem. Up until today we've not left her more than a few hours. Today I've set up Alfred (App) which effectively works as a baby cam / monitor. She's moved exactly twice since 8.30AM, both times to roll over.

That said, given the change in world's she's having right now I'm fairly impressed and there'd been nothing resembling a grumble etc. when feeding / waking / lifting (26.6kg!).

has she got a coat? just wondering if the statueing could be due to a dislike of cold and wet, its a pretty common thing among sighthounds as they dont have much meat on the bones.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#74 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
January 22, 2016, 01:49:20 pm
lifting (26.6kg!).

you using a 2:1 or a 3:1 rig for that?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal