UKBouldering.com

D'ya like Daghs? (Read 26524 times)

cofe

• forum hero
#25 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 10:34:32 am
If I hadn't already been with Scouse, I know where my finger of blame would have been pointing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#26 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 10:55:18 am

yeah, sorry about that Cofe

I don't have a dog

I'll hide it better next time

I wondered where you'd gone for 5 min the other day at Burbage... [emoji90]

dave

#27 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 11:00:20 am
I'm afraid I'm with Stewart Lee when it comes to dogs. And cats for that matter.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#28 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 12:12:08 pm
I grew up with a Golden Lab and now have a Retriever, but the best Crag dog I ever had was a Poodle.
She was a "Miniture" (which is terrier sized, not the silly "Toy") and if you don't cut them like a poodle they look like a Terrier.
Poodles actually climb, not scrabble or bound like larger dogs. She would climb trees (like a cat to watch) to steal fruit and climbed up to Diff without help (slabs).
Lived in the Ardeche at that time and she went everywhere with us. Modified a dog car harness as a climbing harness for her and she could be clipped to the back of my harness (mainly Alpine peaks were scaled like that), she also fitted into a rucksack when the snow got too deep.

Poodles don't loose hair and can be trimmed (or not) to suit the climate (looked like a sheep on acid and 240V connection during Ski season).

My parents have a carbon copy now, Amber having died 15 years back now at 12 years old.

She had a passport and rode backwards and forwards by car and train (small enough to sit on a lap) and tough enough to chase Lynx and Boar out of the garden (or is that Stupid enough?).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rich d

• forum hero
#29 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 01:45:20 pm
I've got a cat, it's an annoying meowing thing sometimes, but it's quite cuddly sometimes too. I refuse to dance about the house with it in my arms singing to the little fucker though.
I won't have a dog as I'd have to pick up it's shit when I took it for a walk, plus a cat is much more self reliant, walks/company/food/cat flap etc.
I've got 2 kids and used to have to pick up their shit, luckily they're a bit older so I no longer have to do that. Kids fuck up your free time nearly as much as work.
So in summary if you're daft enough to get something you need to look after get a cat, if not and you're really stupid get a dog, and if you're even dafter and have decided to grow up get kids.
The little fucker has it's moments though when it's not scratching the sofas

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#30 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 01:50:51 pm
I have 3 dogs (2 collies and a toller) i used to to take them to crags when i only had 2 and it was a nightmare if anyone i didnt know was there as i spent half the time trying to not annoy the other climber.... Now i have 3 i wont take them unless my non climbing girlfriend comes along and takes them walkin whilsti climb..... But then she gets bored and puts an end to the session...... Damn dogs

metal arms

• menacing presence
#31 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 02:41:39 pm
I won't have a dog as I'd have to pick up it's shit when I took it for a walk, plus a cat is much more self reliant, walks/company/food/cat flap etc.

I don't mind picking up the dog shit from my dogs but I do mind picking up someone else's cats fucking horrible shit from my veg patch.  Anyone know a way of keeping cats out of my yard that isn't a permanent greyhound based solution?

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 02:43:19 pm

I don't mind picking up the dog shit from my dogs but I do mind picking up someone else's cats fucking horrible shit from my veg patch.  Anyone know a way of keeping cats out of my yard that isn't a permanent greyhound based solution?

Get your own cat... ;)

edit: Most cats bury their shit - sure it isn't fox poo? (its of similar dimensions and usually deposited indiscriminately.....)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#33 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 04:01:03 pm

edit: Most cats bury their shit
Whatever helps you sleep at night TT. I have evidence to say otherwise.

I started pissing on the patch at my new house where a cat was using. It seems to have done the trick. I guess a sprinkler system is the most humane way but you'll need to keep an eye out. Or one of those machines that shoot tennis balls.
Can we start a 'cats, cats,fucking cats' thread to balance out the dog haters? :furious:

tomtom

• forum hero
#34 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 04:08:46 pm
Apparently lion poo (or something like that - god knows - google probably does) works very well (according to my Cambridge friends who's garden is a kitty toilet..).

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#35 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 04:14:37 pm
Better than that,a lion. Cheap to feed too as it can just eat the neighbourhood cats.

tomtom

• forum hero
#36 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 04:18:08 pm
Better than that,a lion. Cheap to feed too as it can just eat the neighbourhood cats.

And trespassers...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#37 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 24, 2015, 09:11:36 pm
Yes. More than people, by quite a way. Cats too, not quite as much, but close. Don't have either of my own though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#38 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 26, 2015, 01:30:31 pm
:offtopic: I thought getting a dog was the first official step towards having children?

No, (often temporary) substitute for.

Crag dog needs to be big enough to to walk a fair distance, but still small enough o carry over tricky bits. I was impressed to be greeted by two Border terriers (with their owner obviously) at the top of Lochnagar in mid winter. They seemed quite happy to be out.

Paul B

• forum hero
#39 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 04:39:21 pm
A bit of a lag in the reply from me here; we're basically still sat on the fence.

Currently we're looking after a 4yr old male retriever for a colleague and whilst he is pretty darn tying, he's also awesome (even if he's a dopey as hell).

Ta for the input, apart from Toby of course. The only reason I can see for having kids (Nat can't even find one) is so that when I approach death there's hopefully someone sane of mind to do what is in my best interest - I'm not sure that's a strong enough reason?

Perhaps things will change.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#40 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 06:53:34 pm
 :agree:

I was mostly raised by Golden Retrievers, my parents had them for the first 25 years of my existence. They are lovely dogs in a daft greedy floppy friendly sort of way.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#41 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 07:03:08 pm
The only reason I can see for having kids (Nat can't even find one) is so that when I approach death there's hopefully someone sane of mind to do what is in my best interest - I'm not sure that's a strong enough reason?

you have the situation fully sussed there, Paul - you either want them or you don't

can you have some sort of power of attorney thing that says that UKB have the final say on your final days?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#42 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 07:23:07 pm
The only reason I can see for having kids (Nat can't even find one) is so that when I approach death there's hopefully someone sane of mind to do what is in my best interest - I'm not sure that's a strong enough reason?

you have the situation fully sussed there, Paul - you either want them or you don't

Not necessarily so immutable.

I wasn't keen but regarded it as a tacit condition of marriage as Sonia said she couldn't imagine not having them but then something changed and I found myself lobbying for number 3.

Similarly, but more on topic, Keith Sharples was a dog hater who has converted to a dog lover after Jill unilaterally introduced a mutt into their lives. 

a dense loner

• forum hero
#43 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 07:39:00 pm
I've lost count of the number of people who said they never wanted kids then approached forty and changed their minds. Pretty fucking tedious actually.
Dogs no.

Paul B

• forum hero
#44 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 08:37:23 pm
Funny that, everyone else said 30.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#45 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 09:35:03 pm
Hanging out at the Works, he forgets how young everyone else really is

petejh

• forum hero
#46 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 20, 2015, 09:40:18 pm
I clicked on this thread thinking it'd be about tyson fury. (glad the bozo didn't podium)

Anyway as you were.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#47 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 07:28:08 am
Why would people say 30? There's no reason they'd say it at that age apart from to try and be trendy. They say it til they realise the females getting to 40 and her days in that department are getting numbered.

T_B

• forum hero
#48 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:05:01 am
Paul - interesting that you're talking about pros/cons of kids at such a relatively young age  :jab:

FWIW, from what I know of you, I think you'd absolutely love being a Dad. And for many blokes I suspect it's a combination of leap of faith/accepting the inevitable, rather than really wanting kids. Was for me.

That said, I know the joy that a furry friend can give someone/a family too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#49 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
December 21, 2015, 08:08:24 am
Why would people say 30? There's no reason they'd say it at that age apart from to try and be trendy. They say it til they realise the females getting to 40 and her days in that department are getting numbered.

Its pretty obvious why people say 30....female fertility declines >30 and assisted conception is a ballache nor is it guaranteed.

@Lund : I already knew this (personal experience) but wanted to provide a link to some evidence for others to read should they wish to or not believe me. The wikipedia article cites its sources so if Dense or anyone else wishes to read more in-depth/primary sources they have the links to do so (as well as being able to do a search themselves).  :-*
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:15:00 am by slackline »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal