UKBouldering.com

D'ya like Daghs? (Read 26530 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 03:25:31 pm
Now that we all know not to take Daghs to Woodwell I was wondering how many UKBers have dogs?

I've always had animals (dogs [Boxers] and cats [ungrateful farm types]) growing up but haven't subsequently had animals due to living in Sheffield city centre. Now that we live in more rural parts it seems a lot more feasible. However, I was wondering, how truly limiting is it (as a climber rather than in general)?

In reality I can't see our work/life situation being better for owning one than it is now i.e fairly rural and fairly close to work (keeping that balance on the healthy side of life).

...and no. this isn't linked to Nat wanting children, she looks at those with disgust [even if I am continually mocked that all women are a ticking clock in that respect]...

36chambers

• forum hero
#1 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 03:44:12 pm
 :offtopic: I thought getting a dog was the first official step towards having children?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#2 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 04:14:18 pm
We have a four month old short haired border collie pup called Meg. She is the light of my life and getting her was undoubtedly the best decision we've ever made. Very much looking forward to taking her fell running and possibly climbing if I can manage it again.

We use a service called The Hound Hub in Liverpool during the day. She gets taken out with lots of other nice natured dogs and has a play within an enclosed field. I'm up before work to walk her and then again after work.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#3 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 05:13:47 pm
Count me out.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 05:20:06 pm
I've two moggies - rescue kittens originally purchased when my late partner was ill.

Quite frankly, it was a master stroke on her part and means that my house has never been empty since her death. There's always a happy purr and food demanding meow when i get home, no matter how late it is.

They're very little work/time/expense compared to what i get back from them.

Logistically, they don't limit weekends away as i've an auto-feeder, and the neighbour or paid cat sitter come in to feed them when i go away for longer.

kelvin

• forum hero
#5 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 05:22:22 pm
Nice post Ally. Can't wad you for that on Tapatalk, but yeah - nice post.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

kelvin

• forum hero
#6 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 05:22:45 pm
BTW - I hate cats.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#7 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 05:30:31 pm
I think you have to look at the crags you want to visit and decide. Do you want to go to crags that don't allow dogs or spend the day with the dog instead. Having a good friend who has dogs has limited where I've gone for the last few years which is a little frustrating

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 05:43:09 pm
I think you have to look at the crags you want to visit and decide. Do you want to go to crags that don't allow dogs or spend the day with the dog instead. Having a good friend who has dogs has limited where I've gone for the last few years which is a little frustrating

It depends how widespread the "no dogs" crags are. If it rules out a lot of Yorkshire and the Lakes then yes, this is obviously a problem. Speaking to some people fairly local (and some keen boulderers) it seems like moorland venues are the biggest issue?

I'd expect most summers for the foreseeable future will be spent at Kilnsey / Malham / Other Yorks. Lime.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 06:25:19 pm
I dunno - dogs at crags either fall into the docile sleepy pottering around type or the running around being mental and their owners (if they care about others at the crag) spending half the time taking care of the dog...

Personally I'd rather not have to spend a chunk of my climbing time looking after rover... The above all depends upon the attitude of the animal and the owner of course..

I'm quite happy with our cat...

rodma

• forum hero
#10 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 06:58:07 pm
The only useful thing I can add is to either make sure you have dog sitting arrangements in place way in advance of any foreign trips, or get on the pet passport scene as soon as possible, it takes slightly over 6 months IIRC to get one

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 07:02:43 pm
Parental favour exchange will sort out that. If they'll let us look after their precious French bulldogs (one of which is an insurance company's nightmare).

It'd be a rescue, likely ~5 years old I'd imagine.

rodma

• forum hero
#12 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 07:16:21 pm
Good good. Hopefully that'll work out well.

We use a cat sitter these days because my folks got fed up having the cat round after the novelty wore off and the in laws got a dog which killed off our back up.

The inlaws got a lovely wee mutt and they are currently going through the pet passport scheme so they can come out to font next year with us.

Having a pet doesn't take much away, it definitely gives much more. It has the added bonus over a child of being able to be left alone in the house while you go to the the cinema, the pub, one of those places you can have a sit down meal with your partner (what are those called again), go to the wall, etc.

andy popp

• forum hero
#13 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 08:24:55 pm
I've two moggies - rescue kittens originally purchased when my late partner was ill.

Quite frankly, it was a master stroke on her part and means that my house has never been empty since her death. There's always a happy purr and food demanding meow when i get home, no matter how late it is.

Too right Ally! I too have two cats, though I got mine just a little after I was widowed, and I am stupidly, ridiculously devoted to them and wouldn't be without them. I am very lucky in that my two (a mother and son) are just about the most affectionate, good-natured cats one could ever hope to meet. They do make life better!

andy popp

• forum hero
#14 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 08:39:20 pm
Obviously, that was in no way an answer to the question of whether or not you should get a dog. Personally, I've gone off dogs since one bit me in an unprovoked attack at Burbage South a few years ago. I have little desire to be around them at the crag nowadays.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#15 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 09:14:34 pm
Ha! And there's me, who when widowed, got the dumbest Golden Retriever on the planet (jumped off 50' cliff into the sea at Long Quarry Point).
I find her boundless energy invigorating and the playfulness infects the whole family.

But then, I fill my voids with chaos, busyness, drama and life.

Can't fall in a hole that's full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamieG

• forum hero
#16 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 10:59:34 pm
I have two dogs, which I absolutely adore. They definitely brighten up my day, but then I've always had dogs, so can't really imagine not having one. I don't think they present a real problem for climbing. There are a few crags that you can't visit and if crags are busy they need to be well behaved otherwise people get pissed off.

However, they definitely do limit the freedom you have in day to day life. Fancy a few cheeky pints after work. You have to make sure someone has been home to sort the pooches out. Although they provide the perfect excuse to get out of things you don't want to do. "I'd love to, but sorry I have to get back for the dogs' etc.  :-)

I recommend getting a puppy even if it's a rescue, since older dogs are harder work if you haven't trained them yourself. If you want an easy dog, get a labrador. They are easy to train, very loyal and very gentle.

Disclaimer: I am totally biased! I love dogs! As in, coo at other people's dogs, treat them like surrogate children (the spaniel sleeps in (I mean IN not ON) the bed at night)! I know totally weird . . .

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#17 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 22, 2015, 11:50:31 pm
Our cat is my angel. I'm completely soft over her. I pick her up and dance around the house singing songs to her about how wonderful she is. It would be completely embarrassing, except, how can it be embarrassing when she's so utterly lovable?

Couldn't be doing with a dog. Too needy. Like a kid that'll never grow up and become more independent.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#18 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 06:58:33 am
Ive got 2 dogs now, both whippet based lurchers and just had a 18year old cat finally shuffle off. The one thing I would say is look into the breeds and see what each trait will be like. This works even with mixes like lurchers. From there make an informed decision about what you like in a dog. Collies can be annoying, drooley dogs personally really hack me off, staffys are great but come with preconceptions etc
Like someone else has mentioned it is easier with a puppy, more work for 6 months but you can mould them and iron out any problems. Older dogs are fine but its difficult if its your first dog and sometimes small behavioral problems can  emerge.

From a limiting what you do perspective, moorlands at nesting time, Woodwell, Bowden doors etc, Flights. Dog passports have been mentioned, dont think you need to wait 6 months anymore, dont need to be blood tested to see if rabies vacc works anymore.   

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#19 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 09:35:26 am
except, how can it be embarrassing when she's so utterly lovable?
It just is. Plus you've just told everyone.

metal arms

• menacing presence
#20 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 10:16:28 am
I've got two greyhounds.  Don't get a greyhound as a crag dog.  They don't like walking very far & can't scramble over rocks or stiles.  And if they get a cut all their skin falls off immediately.  But they are lovely little (big) guys.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#21 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 10:29:11 am
Our cat is my angel. I'm completely soft over her. I pick her up and dance around the house singing songs to her about how wonderful she is. It would be completely embarrassing, except, how can it be embarrassing when she's so utterly lovable?

I am embarrassed for you

get a grip

cofe

• forum hero
#22 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 10:29:55 am
I haven't got a dog, but the other day I did enjoy shifting one of those action-man-binbags full of dog shit that some clown had left at Remergence (I say left, 'half-heartedly attempted to hide' might be a better description). You stay classy, rock climbers.

Woof.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 10:31:12 am
I've got two greyhounds.  Don't get a greyhound as a crag dog.  They don't like walking very far & can't scramble over rocks or stiles.  And if they get a cut all their skin falls off immediately.  But they are lovely little (big) guys.

My friend has two greyhounds and takes them on long hill walks all over the country, although as you say they need lifting over stiles and can't deal with scree or really rough ground well, and sometimes need a bit of encouragement to bound across brooks.  They seem to love it, one is an ex-racer (he's dozy and was crap) the other was a rescue of sorts (and is a bit mad).  She was very skinny when they got her, she's now very muscular due to all the walking.  They seem to expect a decent long walk at least once a week which they get, but are happy sitting around at home the rest of the time

When we go out climbing they normally stop at home with his wife, but when she's away they come out to the crag and are generally ok although they do whine/whimper after a few hours if he's out of sight and they're very good at snaffling sandwiches.  :ninja:

I've got two cats (was three) and have had cats around since I was born.  They're great, unconditional love....when they want to give it to you, whether you want it or not (I was woken this morning by the cat scratching at my toes which were sticking out of the duvet).  Despite wife wanting a dog at various points they are not for me, too much responsibility walking them thrice daily.  Cats you either chuck outside or leave cat-litter down.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#24 Re: D'ya like Daghs?
October 23, 2015, 10:31:43 am
yeah, sorry about that Cofe

I don't have a dog

I'll hide it better next time

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal