UKBouldering.com

The Effects of Injuries on the Motivation of Climbers (Read 5942 times)

BRoe

• Climbing! Woo!
To all Climbers over the age of 18!

I'm currently undergoing the process of completing my dissertation, which I have chosen to do on the effects injuries have on the motivation of rock climbers. Although the data will be analysed qualitatively, I have created a pilot questionnaire for quantitative data so I can effectively prove the validity of my research topic. If you could take 10-15 minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire it would be massively beneficial and greatly appreciated as much as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and here's the link to the questionnaire:
https://cumbria.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/the-effects-of-injuries-on-the-motivation-of-rock-climbers

For any queries about the research please contact Ben Roe at: broederby@gmail.com

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If you've not done so already I'd suggest posting a link to this on the following sub-Reddits which might help increase your response rate...

/r/climbing
/r/climbharder
/r/bouldering

Good luck with your dissertation.

BRoe

• Climbing! Woo!
Thank you very much I'll get on it :)

rich d

• forum hero
completed, although you mistakenly seem to have asked for V grades and not font.

36chambers

• forum hero
Done. Sounds like an interesting study.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Done, solely because you asked for V grades.

tomtom

• forum hero
I didn't understand that question ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

filz

• addict
Done! Interesting study. Please post a link to the dissertation when finished.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

BRoe

• Climbing! Woo!
Thank you all! A link will be posted when the research is complete :)

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
Done. I'll be interested in the results!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I assumed that I'd never been injured because I've never had finger/shoulder injuries etc. However when presented with the question "have you ever been physically injured as a result of climbing" I realised that my leg break did indeed count as an injury.
I'm not sure if it was your intention to study injuries picked up as a result of ballsing up easy trad routes/falling off awkwardly etc or whether you just want to concentrate on "performance related" injuries...

webbo

• forum hero
I put every sort of injury I've had as a result of climbing, however when I got to double figures. I couldn't be bothered to keep going.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
I only put ones that were directly related to the activity of climbing rather than injuries that happened as a result of an accident. I doubt he wants to hear about how you sprained your ankle walking around at a wall. A climbing related injury to me is an injury that happened from a movement on the wall while actually climbing or training for climbing, not an injury that just happened while climbing.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I only put ones that were directly related to the activity of climbing rather than injuries that happened as a result of an accident. I doubt he wants to hear about how you sprained your ankle walking around at a wall. A climbing related injury to me is an injury that happened from a movement on the wall while actually climbing or training for climbing, not an injury that just happened while climbing.

Probably depends on the seriousness of the injury, the effect it had on the climber as to whether its interesting or not. I'm sure the scope will have to be limited in this respect but take, for instance, a climber who's been struck by rockfall while belaying. They might react to this in a number of ways: give up climbing altogether; stop trad climbing; carry on as normal; get really into training during recovery etc etc etc.
In the case of my own injury (breaking my leg in an avoidable accident, trying a crap E2 after making a conscious decision to not try the far superior HVS next door because I was in a stupid "E points" competition with my housemates), it made me completely re-evaluate my approach to trad climbing and to bold routes in general. I also started bouldering more as a direct result of the accident and then got really into that. The rapid and massive gains in technique that come from switching from trad puntering to bouldering trying motivated me to do more bouldering but also meant I then had the confidence to do the occassional harder trad route (because the physical climbing on an E3/E4 now felt relateively easy).

If this is an undergrad piece of work then the scope is going to need to be quite tight and I suspect peformance related injuries will be much easier to study and produce nice clear results; if its a PhD it will be hard to ignore the more difficult areas of study.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
However when presented with the question "have you ever been physically injured as a result of climbing" I realised that my leg break did indeed count as an injury.

I put in sprained  / dislocated / severly fucked my ankle falling off too. Along with all the other finger, elbow and shoulder issues.

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
Done. Nice survey Ben, I'll be interested in the results.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Done. The list of injures I've suffered from climbing is fun and depressing at the same time.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Fun for the physio but depressing for you?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Ahahah kind of...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I assumed that mountaineering injuries are outside the purview of this survey.
If not, please, add bits of big toe (right foot) missing from frostbite, three cases of snow blindness and a complicated ankle fracture/drug induced nightmare...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I excluded my triple ligament knee destruction as occurred on the drive home from winter climbing - even thought that resulted in my longest layoff and most physio/rehab.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal