UKBouldering.com

Robbing bastards (Read 7574 times)

clm

• forum hero
Robbing bastards
April 06, 2005, 06:48:34 pm
now im going to get boos and hisses from all over the place but dis thread is about climbing walls.
now i go out side as much as possible and my use of walls is minimal - a few broughton sessions over the winter and thats it.
now i hear that manchester has a new wall and i fancy checking it out
a - its in a church which is kinda cool
b - its just round the corner
c - me mate andy goes and i dont get to climb with him much

so i say ill meet him there one night

they charge £12 to join!!! :shock:
and then £6 punds for every subsequent trip!!!! :shock:

if you do not want to join for £12 they very kindly offer a rate of £8 a pop. :shock:

im not fucking paying that to climb on plastic!!!

i have decided that any claim that they have about insurance must be crap as for instance the swimming baths - good chance of drowning - must need good insurance, loads of staff for them to pay.  what does it cost?£2ish. they must be trying to get rich.
guess i wont be climbing with andy.

dave

#1 Robbing bastards
April 06, 2005, 07:18:58 pm
sounds a bit steep. £12 to join seems daft - i certainly wouldn't be paying that.

What does annoy me with some walls is that if you just wanna boulder they charge you the full rate despite at most you're only going to be using 10% of the facility.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Robbing bastards
April 06, 2005, 09:01:37 pm
Booooooo, hissssss (just so your not disappointed.)  :wink:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#3 Robbing bastards
April 06, 2005, 11:32:23 pm
fuck that for a game of soldiers, share a car and go to pex etc

Ok warwick wall is nearly £6 but it's free membership and miles from any rock, manchester isn't, don't waste your hard earned lads.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#4 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 08:23:02 am
And FYI Broughton's now 4£.10 to get in and you can't use the cellar cos some daft twat's thrown the matts away!!

squeek

• junky
#5 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 09:20:06 am
The registration is for life, whereas some walls charge £5 or so every year so that's not too bad.  Â£6 a session....  A pint is £2, 1 pint every 20 minutes is £6 an hour,  do you complain everytime you go to the pub or never go to the pub?  Even at £8 a session if you stop for 2 and a half hours it's only 3.20 an hour, so swimming's cheaper but a lot of other indoor sports are more expensive.

I don't work there and I'm not a local or anything, but I've been and it seems like a good wall.  Nothing personal, it's just I get a bit annoyed with people complaining about the price of walls (see ukclimbing) as it's not very expensive really.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 09:32:41 am
Ratho tried to charge us about the same, even though it was 5 pm and they were closing at 7. A bit steep for an occasional user.

cofe

• forum hero
#7 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 09:39:52 am
Quote from: "Sloper"
fuck that for a game of soldiers, share a car and go to pex etc

Ok warwick wall is nearly £6 but it's free membership and miles from any rock,

trick with warwick wall is to pretend you're using, e.g. the pool, and go upstairs, all the way along the balcony, down the other side and in. unless they've change dthe system now that is. so many clasics have been lost now the bouldering wall has been demolished.  :cry:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#8 Re: Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 10:08:59 am
Quote from: "clm"
they must be trying to get rich
the guy who 'owned'? the wall in Edinburgh on last night's Grand Designs must have been making a pretty penny from it to built that pad. Effort though, and on a DIY tip, who else feels the need to buy one of those explosive nail guns! I know I want one :sniper:

Who was that April chick? Looks like she climbs/climbed hard.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 10:09:39 am
never fear clm, Jim's woody is near completion.
Thats a shame about the woody at broughton cos it was decent

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 10:49:27 am
I get a bit annoyed with people complaining about the price of walls (see ukclimbing) as it's not very expensive really.

Bollocks. 12 quid for your first session is a fuckin rip-off, no two ways about it.
No wonder so many struggle - any business sense would tell you you want to encourage people to join up, not turn around and rush off to complain on the net.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 11:44:30 am

not too mention it's actually lee's wood n lee's holds n lee's built half of it  :P

Scouse D

• forum hero
#12 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 12:06:35 pm
sounds like woody envy to me

squeek

• junky
#13 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 12:08:43 pm
Bollocks. 12 quid for your first session is a fuckin rip-off, no two ways about it.

Ok, it's extortionate! but so are these:

Edge - £12 for 1 year 'Silver' membership, £5.80 Fee for climbing.
Foundary - £10 Regular user Membership (1 year), £5.50 for climbing.
Leeds wall - £20 regular user (1 year), £5.50 for climbing.

Looks to me like the MCC isn't much more expensive than any other similar climbing wall, the deals are slightly different at each, but all would cost you a similar amount to become a member and climb in an evening.  It's maybe a lot for the first visit, but if you're going to go several times then you'll save money in the long run, and it's a lifetime membership whereas the others are annually.  I still don't think indoor climbing is expensive.

I've got a full annual membership at BoulderUK and I reckon it works out at £1.20 an hour over the year, and it stops me from going to the pub drinking, so if you factor that in, it probably saves me money.

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 12:53:24 pm
I pay £30 a month for unlimted access at Rock city which is expensive.But as i end up using it alot as its an hours drive to the nearest bit of rock.It then works out reasonably cheap.
I belive its a case of use it or lose it.Most people complain about the lack of decent walls around then don't want to pay the entrance fee.I can't imaging any body is getting rich running a climbing wall.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#15 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 01:44:37 pm
In Dublin, UCD wall which is just one end of a hall in a sports center but is alright, membership is 100 euro for the year and then 2.50 each visit. which is pretty good. A once off visit is 7euro.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#16 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 03:44:31 pm
Quote from: "Jim"
Thats a shame about the woody at broughton cos it was decent

Blimey, your age and still waiting for your woody. Youve gotta feal sorry for the lad

clm

• forum hero
#17 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 04:39:02 pm
lee already has a woody.  if only you guys could see it.  jaws would hit the carpet.

im now even more shocked by how much some of you guys spend at walls.  like i said i rarely go.  just wanted to point out that compared to other things that you might like to do regularly - say once or twice a week - then it is bloody expensive.
and whoever said it was quite right - a few quid of petrol to frodsham or pex is way better value for money. shush dense.

james

• obsessive maniac
#18 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 05:35:01 pm
Speakin of robbin bastards, the fuckers that broke in to my car last night better sleep with one eye open.  Bad things happen to bad people.
Sorry to go off topic. :(

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#19 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 06:28:31 pm
sorry to hear that keenus, did they get owt? what are you gonna do to them if you catch em', crimp em to death?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Robbing bastards
April 07, 2005, 07:15:51 pm
Do pinch grip pullups on their nipples when you get them :)

But yeah, that sucks big-style :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal