UKBouldering.com

Cheating at Athens (Read 3419 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 08:37:20 pm
Did anyone catch this programme on channel 4?
It was basically a study to see what the effects of steriods (and some other crappy ergogenic aids) on meat heads who would compete in 3 olmpic events (100M, 5000M and shotput).  

Obviously they found that the group chosen to take steriods excelled in the explosive events and that the mood of the individuals also changed.

The only suprising part of the programme was that the steriods took effect in the first 3 weeks  :shock:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#1 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 09:36:13 pm
i meant to watch it, but totally forgot.  What were the percetage improvements in the 100m athletes?  I just wondered how fast they could run given any drugs... would be interesting i reckon.  

nice pic btw.  Family Guy is da bomb!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 10:06:50 pm
I think that the largest gain in the 100m was around 8-9%!

So pretty fuckin huge  :shock:

The other interesting supplement that the other guy's took was called colostrum and showed big differences especially compared with creatine and caffeine.  

Have just googled and found http://www.colostrumresearch.org

Might be worth a bit of testing................

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#3 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 10:21:15 pm
Very interesting.  Gave me a few ideas for future research.

I reckon steroids could improve someone's bouldering.  Imagine an 8-9% increase in 3 weeks, you'd easily be able to nail a hard problem without the long-term consequences.  I know this is simplistic but still an interesting idea.

Perhaps people are already doing this?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#4 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 10:24:58 pm
i thought steroids were illegal or summit?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 11:04:45 pm
Personally, I like my creatine, but apparantly it only works for some people.

I think it'd be fun to just fuck off the pretence, and legalise all drugs in sport, then we could have an olympics fulll of twitching cyborg steel-bodies all doing the 100m in 6 seconds.

Better than robot wars anyroad....

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 11:10:39 pm
For a start setriods ARE illegal.  I think the programme failed to point that out!  Despite seeming to get away without any major problems some of the guy's on roid's looked like they would rip your head off if you looked at them funny :?

I've played around with creatine before and found it very useful.  That was when I was vegeterian as now it seems to do sod all apart from make me swell with water :oops:

Maybe your right Bubba let them all eat as much cake as they like and fight it out in some weird gladiator death match :twisted:

account_inactive

• forum hero

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#8 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 11:18:05 pm
in my opinion performance enhancing drugs r people who know they r'nt gud enough. i'm not referring to creatine here as thats a chemical naturally in the body isn't it? and me mate phil was on it last year and he was knockin off 4 1 armers in a row so it obviously helped him.
but steriods and the such r for cheatin fags :evil:
i take it as climbing isn't an olympic sport top climbers do not get tested for illegal substances.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 11:24:17 pm
have you not read haston's comments on the dark side? interesting to say the least.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#10 Cheating at Athens
August 14, 2004, 11:36:49 pm
no, where can i find them? i've read morstad's though and that was very interesting and i agreed with every word he said although he did seem to have a bit of an agenda with the big companies that sponsor climbers today. but still informative and well written.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Cheating at Athens
August 15, 2004, 10:13:45 am
can't remember whether it was in on the edge or he said it in a lecture i went to of his a couple of years ago. prob bit too risque for ote. it boiled down to him suggesting that some climbers were using illegal enhancements for strength. very opinionated n very good :shock:
will have to look for marius stuff now

dave

#12 Cheating at Athens
August 15, 2004, 11:34:07 am
using roids is so lame.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#13 Cheating at Athens
August 15, 2004, 01:00:30 pm
will have to look for marius stuff now

i read it on that website i posted up about but stopped working two days later :?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#14 Cheating at Athens
August 15, 2004, 06:16:37 pm
if i remember correctly he was saying the same as haston in that some top climbers did use performance enhancing drugs but he was kind of saying that it was because of the pressures sponsors put on them for consistent big ascents/repeats etc. however no ones forcing them to get sponsored :? .
apparently over in yank land some companies were giving out bonuses for every 8c+ or higher route certain climbers did. talk about piling on the pressure.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#15 Cheating at Athens
August 16, 2004, 12:11:47 am
Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
apparently over in yank land some companies were giving out bonuses for every 8c+ or higher route certain climbers did. talk about piling on the pressure.

not got much sympathy for the guys really - you want sponsorship, you've gotta give the company something in return, its a simple buisness transaction at the end of the day and not a god given right of someone climbing hard

my dislike of climbing being treated like this (although every other sport is so why should we be any different) is why i have remained largely weak, unsponsored and unknown throughout my illustrious career...............

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#16 Cheating at Athens
August 16, 2004, 12:31:59 am
oh yeah i agree, no ones forcing them to get sponsored. but it shows why some one wud think of turning to performance enhancing drugs.

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Cheating at Athens
August 16, 2004, 12:40:30 pm
i was at the foundry a few years ago.there was this huge guy in the cellar.he was showing allthe signs of roid use,acne big muscles and when he could'nt do the problem. he got so angry i thought he was going to start and destroy the place :evil: '

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal