UKBouldering.com

Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland (Read 16931 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 13, 2004, 11:47:25 pm
check 8a.nu

http://www.8a.nu/cgi-bin/scorecard/show.cgi?view=4296&page=2

I wonder if there's any photos or video's.  I just want to see what the climbing is like up there!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 13, 2004, 11:55:56 pm
Cold, wet, miserable, infested with midges and approximately 15,000 miles from Sheffield  :roll:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#2 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 13, 2004, 11:58:53 pm
not trying to shit stir or anything and please correct me if i'm wrong but has anyone even seen him climb? ever? according to this months climber macleod stepped onto its all over and fucked the main handhold in one go :? . not a case in itself but everythings so fishy. no videos, no photos of the 8c's. fuckin hell if i did 8c i'd have it filmed and fired all over the internet :P . wouldn't u? or just get some photos of the 8c lines.
perhaps skye bloc will prove every doubter wrong :?:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#3 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 14, 2004, 12:01:24 am
bollocks i'm eating my own words already. there is a photo on 8a but its pretty shit.

dave

#4 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 14, 2004, 08:42:52 am
remember the old saying:

"if you sit a thousand monkeys at a thousand typwriters then eventually one of them will claim and 8c in scotland on 8a.nu".

wonder if he's going to tell anyone where it is this time.

Well done Si.

Nigel

• forum hero
#5 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 14, 2004, 09:42:32 am
Beast.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#6 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 15, 2004, 03:35:52 am

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#7 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 15, 2004, 05:17:15 pm
No rest for the beastly strong (and isolated) it would seem... The man himself has just added another font 8B.  [taken from 8a.nu]

Greg C

• forum hero
#8 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 12:22:32 pm
2004-08-13  HyperBallad Eoropaidh N  V15
2004-08-14  Grip Crisis Eoropaidh N  V13
2004-08-08  Minihooligan -ext- Eoropaidh N V12

Not bad for... TWO WEEKS WORK!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Greg C

• forum hero
#9 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 12:23:29 pm
Oh fuck it was one week!  :shock:

Greg C

• forum hero
#10 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 12:43:19 pm
Here's Si's description entertaining as ever!

"HyperBallad [V14-15] Font 8c 8 3 00-08-2004 Si O'Conor
somewhere around 8b+/8c. Low start on the steep left wall [boss slopey undercuts] then low onto the blunt arete. Follow the line of insanely poor finger slopers through the steep right wall to the lip. A very hard move onto the lip & headwall on no holds! then a couple of easy eng:6c moves into a highball finish. Awesome desperation & mad contortions hold to hold. "

Genius  :D

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#11 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 01:26:14 pm
word up to the big man!!!

If you asked him on a monday if he had climbed V15 he would proberbly say "YYEEEESSSSS" if you asked him on a tuesday he would answer the question through the medium of dance. :dancing:

dave

#12 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 01:31:29 pm
do you recon he sends 8b+ on thurday and friday and saturday then chills on sunday like craig david?

BoulderHog

• addict
#13 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 05:44:41 pm
He should start a "Si's tour of hard problems in remote places" company, I'm sure loads of top climbers from around the world would sign up to it. Si could take them on a tour (for a small, v15 size fee) of what must be the largest number of massive grades anywhere on Earth, with the added benfit that they're all his. Not only could he earn a mint, but it would solve any of the doubts people have about the grades and his climbing ability.

He could then expand out to other places around the world, a visit of just 1 week would no doubt yield an 8C or two to get the tour up and running, the £millions would surely flood in.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#14 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 06:53:46 pm
it would solve any of the doubts people have about the grades and his climbing ability.

Yesssssssssssssssss..........I think that would be the problem for him, though  :twisted:

dave

#15 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 16, 2004, 10:18:03 pm
i think Si should go across the pond and try to break america.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#16 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 09:51:32 am
He could hook up with mel b.

Kes would have to go into quarantine. :D

a dense loner

• forum hero
#17 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 12:03:06 pm
it's took something of this magnitude to bring greg home :lol:

Greg C

• forum hero
#18 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 01:17:26 pm
:lol:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#19 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 01:21:29 pm
:wink:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#20 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 02:05:32 pm
9 problems of font 8b and above. :shock: Has Mr O'C ever climbed at Font, Hueco, Bishop, er stanage etc?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#21 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 02:18:40 pm
i think he's done all the hard problems in all those places, that's why he knows to give his own problems these grades.

Sloper

• forum hero
#22 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 03:46:31 pm
Me-oooow, I'm just waiting for the man to start spewing about how hard his problems are etc etc :hidesofa:

BoulderHog

• addict
#23 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 05:42:06 pm
Yes that's right, he must have done all those hard problems in all those areas, I mean, imagine for a moment that some unknown guy appears, having never climbed anything well known of any difficulty, and then goes on to grade loads of his new problems at the cutting edge of the scale. That would be insane, therefore, by the process of elimination, Si must have climbed all the hard problems in font etc.

It's funny how someone like Malc Smith, who is pretty much the strongest boulderer ever to walk the earth, takes ten years to climb his 8B+ project and has to train on a replica of dreamtime for a few years before success, whereas Si can happily despatch an 8C here, an 8B+ there, all first accents. The guy must be awesome, way better than Malc or anyone, there should be Churches erected in his honour. Why aren't there Churches in his honour? What could the reason be?

Doylo

• forum hero
#24 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 17, 2004, 06:27:33 pm
looking at his record he blatantly is better than malc, and he's done the hardest trad route in the world. F8c with shit gear.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#25 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 12:01:19 am
i think its a bit harsh that the guy gets loads of shit, and its not hard to see why, but it would be so easy to sort it all out. you're simply asking for trouble by claiming all these incredibly hard ascents with absolutley no evidence. but one or two videos would solve an awful lot of doubts.

dave

#26 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 08:56:46 am
or even a credible witness.

Sloper

• forum hero
#27 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:15:06 am
Lets have a whip round and get Si down from Skye and finally have ascents of the groove problem at burbage north, smiling buttress, the groove at cratcliffe, direct start to deliverance etc. :lol:

dave

#28 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:17:30 am
Quote from: "Sloper"
direct start to deliverance

i thought for a minute there you were listing things which haven't been done.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#29 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:18:03 am
Or everyone could stop whinging from their armchairs and take a trip to Skye to try the problems.

It's only a few hundred miles, and it's a very beautiful part of Britain.

You could even do the Cuillin Ridge while your there  :P

Sloper

• forum hero
#30 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:28:12 am
I wasn't aware the direct start to deliverance had been done.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#31 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:29:23 am
a good idea in theory. however, i think the point being made is how do we know these problems have been done in the first place!

dave

#32 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:31:36 am
Quote from: "Sloper"
I wasn't aware the direct start to deliverance had been done.

aye its been done loads (not by me mind) even from sitting, manteling it out i think. also been done in trainers.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#33 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:31:55 am
How do you know they haven't?

dave

#34 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:35:30 am
thing is its possible to prove something has been climbed, but basically impossible to prove something hasn't. thus you've got to assume things haven't by default, otherwise you have potentially no unclimbed rock in the UK!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#35 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:41:40 am
He's got the photos on 8a.nu - they don't *prove* shit. Nor would video really, would it? People would just say it's edited.

To everyone: Look, I'm getting so bored of this topic that keeps rearing it's head, I'm thinking of just locking this thread.

This issue will go round and round in circles until either:

a) Everyone takes the man in good faith and shuts up - not very likely.
b) A strong team stops whinging and gets up there to repeat the problems and adjust the grades if necessary (also not very likeley because at the end of the day people prefer to sit and snipe from a computer.

Failing that, you could choose to dis-believe without any actual *evidence* to do so and just whinge on here. Now that's fine, but change the fucking record please and talk about something else :roll:

We went through all this same bullshit with the Steve Dunning thread not so long ago.

dave

#36 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:51:33 am
don't wanna stir stuff up bubba but what evidence can possibly prove someone didn't climb something? as i said above you can't prove someone dind't do something, whihc is why climbing is open to abuse from dishonest people. i mean what do we expect, a video of no-one on a peice of rock? in this situation it cannot be the doubters responsibility to prove wrong,  (as its impossible) but thus the claimant's job to prove right, or to not get into a doubtable position in the first place. I know its a sad state of affairs but thats life.

you know from private discussions that even when people are very close to a doubted person its impossible to disprove any claims with 100% certainty unless you put some one under 24hr surveilance.. I don't think not discussing these matters will get anyone anywhere.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#37 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 09:59:07 am
If somebody was there on the day that the ascent was claimed, and the person obviously didn't climb the problem as claimed, then that at least goes some way to prove that they are lying. Of course you can prove that somebody didn't do something.
If I was wrongly accused of murder and there were witnesses that could confirm I was somewhere else at the time, then it could be proved that I wasn't the murderer.

We all know that claims in climbing are open to abuse. They always have been and always will be. There's nothing that can be done about it.

As I've said, the only way for people to put this one to rest is to go there and try the problems. Nothing short of that is going to stop this ridiculous state of affairs is it?
Ok, Si O could stop claiming hard problems, but that's equally unlikely. Either he's having a laugh at the expense of people like those on here who keep rising to the bait, or, he is in fact an 8c climber, or lastly he believes he is an 8c climber.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#38 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 10:02:40 am
you know from private discussions that even when people are very close to a doubted person

Ah, back to Mr Heason ...

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#39 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 10:24:22 am
what we need is a skye bouldering meet? Then everyone can see for themselves what simon connor can really do.

:lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#40 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 10:35:39 am
I respect your stance on the state of this debate, B-man. Although Si's problems do seem more open to most to doubt due to their location, obscurity, and "too good to be true" style of ascent, it is only fair to try to avoid yet another witchhunt.

After all the only thing that will genuinely interesting to come out of this will be the truth.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#41 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 10:36:11 am
never mind all this, the direct start to deliverence is known as the "local's are you local problem". it is to be done in trainers (5.10's) first problem, first go, no warm up. i hasten to add it is not done by me but by others

dave

#42 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 10:41:40 am
a one-armed ascent of this would surely be the jewel in the crown of peak district bouldering.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#43 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 10:47:28 am
Quote from: "Fiend"
After all the only thing that will genuinely interesting to come out of this will be the truth.

Exactly - I doubt that there is a *single person* in the country that believes that the claimed problems are 8c, or that somebody can do so many hard problems in such a short space of time.

My point is that unless people are prepared to go and check these things out for real, and do something constructive about it,  these topics are pointless, dull and help feed a lot of general bad feeling that seems to be around in the climbing community at the moment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#44 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 11:13:39 am
I don't even think good video evidence is enough, even if it is filmed in one take. Assuming its not been edited/fiddled, unless its an established problem how can you tell how hard something is by looking at a video? Sharma makes Dreamtime look doable. On video.

tc

• junky
#45 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 11:24:49 am
I understand Dave McLeod has been up there for a play (latest Climber mag?)
Si's Lakes problems have also been checked out by various people. I am unaware of any concensus having been formed, however. Or, indeed, any details.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#46 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 11:45:19 am
Sharma makes Dreamtime look doable. On video

he fuckin walks it :cry:

but back to the original point i think the 'get a strong team and send them up to skye to meet si and check out his stuff' would easily be the best and simplest way of sorting it out.

dave

#47 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 11:48:38 am
Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
but back to the original point i think the 'get a strong team and send them up to skye to meet si and check out his stuff' would easily be the best and simplest way of sorting it out.

it would most likely not solve anything though. even if the stuff didn turn out to be of the standard claimed,  you'd still no know if they can actually been climbed.

do i remember hearing that some guy pete marsh go there and do some of Si's stuff anyway?

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#48 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 11:54:33 am
sorry i meant get smith, earl, moon and a couple of video cameras to meet up with si and he can show them round climb some problems for them and then they might get some repeats.

do i remember hearing that some guy pete marsh go there and do some of Si's stuff anyway
i remember that and as soon as anyone started chattin about he removed from his scorecard.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#49 Si O'Conor adds another 8C to Scotland
August 18, 2004, 12:00:57 pm
Ok. Enough.

This isn't getting anywhere and once again has come back to the same old issue that proof is required for any hard ascents these days.

Such proof has to come from video, or "reliable" witnesses, though of course the reliablilty of any witness is dependent upon who you talk to.

This whole issue was done to death recently on this thread:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2452

It's a sad state of affairs, but some people seem to like it this way.

Roll on the "hard ascents judging committee" that will need to be in place for anyone who's not part of a well known clique to be believed for anything in the future.

This isn't news anymore, it's just a bitching session.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal